Should you Upgrade from Droid to Droid X

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
So.. I know there are mini discussions about this in other threads but I couldn't find a thread that really discussed switching from the Droid to Droid X... I had this dilemma before I made the jump to the Droid X and wished there was a more concise thread about it.. and just today I got a PM from somebody who is having the same question: I'm a rooter/moder/geek should I upgrade to the "more closed" Droid X from the "fully-open" Droid...

Here are my thoughts as I told him:

I'm absolutely happy I switched.. the os is quick... faster than any rom I was running (even 2.2 roms, which means that when the X finally gets froyo it will be screaming I'm sure). Now I'm not talking linpack or quadrant speed, I'm talking real world application use.. I haven't run into any bugs (although I know there are some out there being talked about in the forums), again, this is just real world use with no bugs (not even the little ones we learned to live with in modded Droid life..) I haven't rooted the X yet.. I know there are ways but I just don't see the need yet.. I will def. do it, just going to wait for a method that allows backup etc. (basically waiting for a clockworkmod style recovery method and rom manager)..

Whether you should switch now or wait basically comes down to a few things you won't have right away...

1.overclocking: which really is irrelevant with the Droid X at this point (sure if I can overclock later and it makes a difference, I will, because why not make the phone faster if you can, it just doesn't need it right now)

2.tethering: I know you can root the X and get tethering but I'm waiting (see above) because I really don't use the tethering feature much right now, I will in a few months when I'm back at school, but not right now.. if you don't want to root now and you DO USE tethering you may want to choose the current rooting methods or wait a bit to upgrade (or I suppose you could pony up the extra $20 monthly to VZW)

3.Custom roms.. as of right now (and again I'm not rooted so I'm not looking around much) I don't think there are many (if any) 'truly' custom roms (but I could be wrong, like I said I'm not looking).. so if custom themes and roms are a dealbreaker, you may want to wait... I will say that coming from a vanilla android phone to a phone with pseudo-blur does give you a little different look (even though blur has it's +'s and -'s) so that may satisfy you for now.. plus the screen is so nice that even the old stock stuff looks new...

All of the other advantages to rooting and customizing are minimal losses for me at this point (although I hope they will come with time).. these are the main compromises (and really it's just the last two)..

Overall I'm very satisfied and even happy that I switched, I LOVED my Droid 1 and I am confident that devs will keep working at ways around the bootloader so we can get into all the custom goodness we had with the Droid on the Droid X.

...now discuss...

Last edited:

accellpo

Reaction score
Good thread! We need more discussion on this because I don't think people really know what a huge upgrade the DX is over the D1. Just got my DX yesterday and WOW! You just cant get this type of speed and smoothness from rooting. The RAM increase is so important. No bugs for me either. None! The battery is a lot better than the D1 too. Oh and the heat factor, OMG the DX is much cooler. The size is noticeable but its actually starting to feel natural to me.

I'm trying hard to find a weakness on this phone. No luck with that yet!

ctxx24

Reaction score
Good thread! We need more discussion on this because I don't think people really know what a huge upgrade the DX is over the D1. Just got my DX yesterday and WOW! You just cant get this type of speed and smoothness from rooting. The RAM increase is so important. No bugs for me either. None! The battery is a lot better than the D1 too. Oh and the heat factor, OMG the DX is much cooler. The size is noticeable but its actually starting to feel natural to me.

I'm trying hard to find a weakness on this phone. No luck with that yet!

No i dont think we need more discussions on this lol use the search im sure theres been alot