Should I Stay or Should I Go?

thelion

Reaction score
Long story short:

My Droid is giving me grief. The thing can.not make a quality phone call. It isn't a service area issue (other VZW phones make great calls). I have my doubts as to whether or not it is a defective issue (8 Droids with the same issue cannot be coincidence). It isn't an Android issue - Eris and Incredible work just dandy around these parts, as does the (craptastic) Ally.

So, VZW offers me the chance to move to the X. Should I do it? I wish it was better tested, but .... what do you fellers think?

jamjr74

Reaction score
I had a droid for 28 days and also was dissapointed with the call quality. Everyone would tell me I sounded like I was in a tin can and I tried 2 Droids!!!! I turned it in on the 29th day for the Incredible and am glad I did. The HTC has far better call quality in my opinion and I am happy with it. If I were you and are not happy with the Droid then do it!!!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Root and a Physical Keyboard mean Nothing to you than move to a DX

JFDroid

Reaction score
Long story short:

My Droid is giving me grief. The thing can.not make a quality phone call. It isn't a service area issue (other VZW phones make great calls). I have my doubts as to whether or not it is a defective issue (8 Droids with the same issue cannot be coincidence). It isn't an Android issue - Eris and Incredible work just dandy around these parts, as does the (craptastic) Ally.

So, VZW offers me the chance to move to the X. Should I do it? I wish it was better tested, but .... what do you fellers think?

After 8 replacement units, they offered you a chance to upgrade to the X without paying anything (that's what I am able to infer from your post)? I find that highly unlikely. They got rid of their multi-FRU program, so you get to stay in the same crappy (well, the Droid isn't crappy) phone forever, unless you upgrade (if you have an available upgrade - AND you have to pay the upgrade price, which for the X is $199.99).

And I know for a fact they got rid of the multi-FRU program. I live with a VZW rep and we talk about his work daily. Also, I have had my phone switched out as many times as you have (for me it's been a headphone jack issue) and every time I ask and beg and plead and grovel at the customer rep's feet I am given no options but "upgrade to a new phone" or "we'll ship you a replacement unit" - but they never offer me anything free.

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
Long story short:

After 8 replacement units, they offered you a chance to upgrade to the X without paying anything (that's what I am able to infer from your post)? I find that highly unlikely. They got rid of their multi-FRU program, so you get to stay in the same crappy (well, the Droid isn't crappy) phone forever, unless you upgrade (if you have an available upgrade - AND you have to pay the upgrade price, which for the X is $199.99).

And I know for a fact they got rid of the multi-FRU program. I live with a VZW rep and we talk about his work daily. Also, I have had my phone switched out as many times as you have (for me it's been a headphone jack issue) and every time I ask and beg and plead and grovel at the customer rep's feet I am given no options but "upgrade to a new phone" or "we'll ship you a replacement unit" - but they never offer me anything free.

Few things.

1. You gotta talk to the right folk.
2. It helps when you have a big account.
3. You know the situation is bad when you have your own personal rep that calls you twice a week to "check in."
4. They already lost six lines over this issue - they made the offer to keep me after everything else. They made a similar offer back in February but they didn't have anything to meet my needs.

And yes, the upgrade would be at no additional cost. And no, rooting doesn't mean enough to me that I cannot wait for it to happen (and it will happen one day, I'm sure). I have never - not once - used my physical keyboard for anything other than initial setup.

Does anyone have any call quality experience? Is it better? I'd hate to move to the X only to have the same issues. At this point my options are upgrade or cx with no ETF. If the X has the same issues, I'll just ditch and go elsewhere. So all advice is appreciated. I love everything about my Droid except the call quality.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
Given the opportunity; I would definitly take the X.

However; to fix your call quality you need to follow these steps. I had the very same problem as you, and this fixed it. Keep in mind that I had to do this again after rooting and changing basebands. I think it was the baseband that set it back to the default.

Open your phone app
dial "##7764726" which is "##program"
It will promt you for a SPC password
The password is "000000"
Select option 4 for Vocode
Select EVRC-B, it is setup by default to EVRC.
Select apply, then your phone will restart on it's own.

I don't remember what the differences are between EVRC and EVRC-B, but that is what Google is for.

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited:

JCo352

Reaction score

However to fix your call quality you need to follow these steps. I had the very same problem as you, and this fixed it. Keep in mind that I had to do this again after rooting and changing basebands. I think it was the baseband that set it back to the default.

Open your phone app
The password is "000000"

I don't remember what the differences are between EVRC and EVRC-B, but that is what Google is for.

I myself don't have this problem, but I have heard this works. Something else I have heard works is turning off "voice privacy" in call settings. Also OP do you have a case on your phone?

And to the guy a couple posts up, what is so far-fetched about what he says, why would he come here and make up a story? lol

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score

However; to fix your call quality you need to follow these steps. I had the very same problem as you, and this fixed it. Keep in mind that I had to do this again after rooting and changing basebands. I think it was the baseband that set it back to the default.

Open your phone app
The password is "000000"

Thanks. I've tried this a few times and it helps for awhile but then it just gets bad again. It sucks too because if not for this one issue, I would be so happy with my Droid I wouldn't even consider changing.

However to fix your call quality you need to follow these steps. I had the very same problem as you, and this fixed it. Keep in mind that I had to do this again after rooting and changing basebands. I think it was the baseband that set it back to the default.

Open your phone app
The password is "000000"

I myself don't have this problem, but I have heard this works. Something else I have heard works is turning off "voice privacy" in call settings. Also OP do you have a case on your phone?

And to the guy a couple posts up, what is so far-fetched about what he says, why would he come here and make up a story? lol

Voice privacy is off (I also heard that helps) and no case is on the phone (stopped after someone said that might be causing it).

People who tend to be die hard on the Droid tend to think I am making this up. It doesn't really matter to me, I know it isn't an issue with every single one of them - and some folks can put up with it. I just cannot. I need better call quality.

Oh, and I am a she :)

jlaidlaw

Reaction score

Open your phone app
The password is "000000"

Thanks. I've tried this a few times and it helps for awhile but then it just gets bad again. It sucks too because if not for this one issue, I would be so happy with my Droid I wouldn't even consider changing.

Open your phone app
The password is "000000"

Voice privacy is off (I also heard that helps) and no case is on the phone (stopped after someone said that might be causing it).

People who tend to be die hard on the Droid tend to think I am making this up. It doesn't really matter to me, I know it isn't an issue with every single one of them - and some folks can put up with it. I just cannot. I need better call quality.

Oh, and I am a she :)

Given the opportunity of owning the most up to date android device on the market, I would go for it. Read some reviews of the Droid X before you make the switch and maybe it will sway your opinion on which phone to go with. Good luck!