Should I buy my Droid X from Verizon, Costco, or Newegg?

Gomboman

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a Droid X sometime this week. Not sure if I should buy from Verizon, Costco. or from Newegg. My two year contract from Verizon is overdue so I'm trying to weigh out my options.

Here are the prices that I believe are correct:
1. Verizon = $99 + tax = $150 (tax based off of the $599 price).
2. Costco = 150 + tax = $165 (tax based off off $199 price).
3. Newegg = Free + tax = $50 (assuming tax is based off the $599 price).

I would have to call Newegg to make sure the online price is legit and I'm assuming the tax it's based on the full $599 retail.

I'm actually leaning towards the Costco deal since they offer a 90 day return policy. Since it's kind of late in the DX cycle the extra money spent at Costco might be beneficial to me if something better comes out in the next 3 months. They also offer the cheap upgrade kit (charger, case, and headset).

For all the DX users, would you buy another DX today at this point in time or would you wait a little longer? This is my first post but I’ve been a lurker for quite some time. I would appreciate some input from the experts on this forum.

Last edited:

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Tax is going to be based off of the sale price, not the full retail price.

I can't speak for the other third-party sellers, but I bought my Droid Pro from Amazon Wireless. They seemed to have the LEAST restrictive "side agreement" of the third-parties. They're all going to make you agree to do something for 181 days. Some make you maintain the level of services (minutes, features, etc) that you currently have. Some (AmazonWireless, for instance) simply require that you maintain an active account on that phone for at least 181 days. That's not a problem, seeing as how you've already signed a two year contract anyways.

Here's the Amazon link ($50 with new account, $80 with upgrade)
AmazonWireless: Motorola DROID X Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Here's the key line for Newegg:
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

In other words, you'll have to maintain your service plan at the level that it is at your time of purchase for six months.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Make sure you read the fine print of each as you will be actually signing two agreements with third party vendors! Also, my corporate store for one, can NOT help with any exchanges or returns if not purchased from Verizon (corporate store, telesales, or verizonwireless.com). A cheaper price isn't always a better value. :)

I'm planning on buying a Droid X sometime this week. Not sure if I should buy from Verizon, Costco. or from Newegg. My two year contract from Verizon is overdue so I'm trying to weigh out my options.

Here are the prices that I believe are correct:
1. Verizon = $99 + tax = $150 (tax based off of the $599 price).
2. Costco = 150 + tax = $165 (tax based off off $199 price).
3. Newegg = Free + tax = $50 (assuming tax is based off the $599 price).

I would have to call Newegg to make sure the online price is legit and I'm assuming the tax it's based on the full $599 retail.

I'm actually leaning towards the Costco deal since they offer a 90 day return policy. Since it's kind of late in the DX cycle the extra money spent at Costco might be beneficial to me if something better comes out in the next 3 months. They also offer the cheap upgrade kit (charger, case, and headset).

For all the DX users, would you buy another DX today at this point in time or would you wait a little longer? This is my first post but I’ve been a lurker for quite some time. I would appreciate some input from the experts on this forum.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
G

Gomboman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've never bought a phone online before so I'm a little hesitant about any potential hidden charges.

My current account does not include a data plan which I would have to add with this phone. I get a discount through my employer which would knock the $29.99 data plan down to $24 if I deal with Verizon directly.

Will I have any issues with my discounts if I buy through a third party?

I can't speak for the other third-party sellers, but I bought my Droid Pro from Amazon Wireless. They seemed to have the LEAST restrictive "side agreement" of the third-parties. They're all going to make you agree to do something for 181 days. Some make you maintain the level of services (minutes, features, etc) that you currently have. Some (AmazonWireless, for instance) simply require that you maintain an active account on that phone for at least 181 days. That's not a problem, seeing as how you've already signed a two year contract anyways.

By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

In other words, you'll have to maintain your service plan at the level that it is at your time of purchase for six months.

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've never bought a phone online before so I'm a little hesitant about any potential hidden charges.

My current account does not include a data plan which I would have to add with this phone. I get a discount through my employer which would knock the $29.99 data plan down to $24 if I deal with Verizon directly.

Will I have any issues with my discounts if I buy through a third party?

Discounts shouldn't present you any problems at all. That discount happens a step after your account is "checked" for the proper features. The discount should happen regardless. I won't get my first bill until tomorrow with my Pro, but I bought a used Blackberry (read: not from VZW) and didn't have any problems.

pepe le moko

Reaction score
Check Dell.com last week they were free with a new contract and $19 with renewal.

OP
G

Gomboman

Reaction score
Check Dell.com last week they were free with a new contract and $19 with renewal.

Thanks. I just called and checked on the price with Dell. It's $19 out the door with a 2 yr renewal. I thought maybe they would try to add another $50 for tax. This is a great deal.

pepe le moko

Reaction score

Thanks. I just called and checked on the price with Dell. It's $19 out the door with a 2 yr renewal. I thought maybe they would try to add another $50 for tax. This is a great deal.

If you want insurance they have a good deal also.
Same price as at Verizon but with no deductible.
I ordered mine on Saturday and it arrived FED EX on Monday.

abcstyers

Reaction score
Make sure you read the fine print of each as you will be actually signing two agreements with third party vendors! Also, my corporate store for one, can NOT help with any exchanges or returns if not purchased from Verizon (corporate store, telesales, or verizonwireless.com). A cheaper price isn't always a better value. :)

DroidForums junkie!!

with that being said, I'm military and can get a special price thru our Base shopping center. If I have a problem with a phone I buy thru them, Verizon Wireless wont cover it even though they are an authorized dealer??? (I am assuming that newegg.com, amazon.com, dell.com, ect are all also authorized dealers since they are selling new Verizon phones.)

qqqqqqqman

Reaction score

Just remember, if you have any problems with the phone you have to go through Dell...good luck with that. Man, I called Dell to get the specifics on buying one a month ago. Just trying to talk to the agent and get information went in circles, with plenty of sales pitch and routine. I got so perturbed after 5 minutes of dancing around my questions and "hold-just-a-second-for-my-computer-to-access-the-information-how-is-your-day?" sales crap that I just hung up. Went to Verizon the next day, lol. Nice price, though :).

gsu_golfer

Reaction score

Just remember, if you have any problems with the phone you have to go through Dell...good luck with that. Man, I called Dell to get the specifics on buying one a month ago. Just trying to talk to the agent and get information went in circles, with plenty of sales pitch and routine. I got so perturbed after 5 minutes of dancing around my questions and "hold-just-a-second-for-my-computer-to-access-the-information-how-is-your-day?" sales crap that I just hung up. Went to Verizon the next day, lol. Nice price, though :).

That's why I went with Amazon over all the others. I've never called them and gotten someone that bothered me with that crap.

OP
G

Gomboman

Reaction score

That's why I went with Amazon over all the others. I've never called them and gotten someone that bothered me with that crap.

I was going to go with amazon but the price shown in my cart was $119 + tax so I backed out of the deal. Maybe the prices went up recently for some reason.

OP
G

Gomboman

Reaction score
I just ordered a Droid X from Dell for $19.99 (out the door shipped) with a 2 year extension. I even got a $25 Dell gift card. I ordered the phone on-line so I didn't have to deal with a pushy sales person.

I'm a little paranoid but I thought I would take a chance. Has anyone here pulled this deal off without any complications? Wish me luck......

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Always buy your phone from a corporate verizon store if you can (emphasis on corporate). You will be grateful if something goes wrong with the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The X!

Reaction score
I just purchased my X from DELL and received it yesterday for 80USD (upgrade to primary account)..BRAND NEW..all you have to do is disregard the insurance that third party companies sell and call VZW and get their 7.99 which covers EVERYTHING (including losing the item). That's what I did...no problems!

So this is cheaper than 149.99 for a Pre Owned Cert from VZW and 199.99 for a NEW one from VZW.