Should I bail on my Moto Droid?

nanci322

Reaction score
I got it the 1st day it came out. Within days I had a bad echo problem. Took it to the Verizon store and they said it was defective. Exchanged it and the same thing happened.

I understand there's a patch coming out on the 18th but am concerned about my 30 day time frame for returning without the 2 year commitment. What is the likelihood that this problem with be resolved satisfactorily with the software update?

This is my first Smartphone. Do most of them have issues like I'm reading here?

Is this like buying a car the first model year it comes out where they haven't worked the kinks out yet?

Does anyone know how the Storm 2 compares?

Thanks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Storm 2 is Storm 1 repackaged. More memory... big whoop. Still a dead OS in BB. Droid has so much potential.

The patch is Dec. 11th for the update.

You're gonna see issues for ANY device on ANY forum you go to. Some are user error... some are apps causing issues... some are simple settings being overlooked.... bad reception... etc.

Overall the DROID is very functional for being 1st gen. I was a Storm 1 owner (purchasing when it was released) and I can tell you with certainty that the DROID is in no way problem ridden like the Storm is. Not even close.

Not to mention Google/Moto is taking input from consumers asking what we'd like to see and what needs to be fixed. It's a step in the right direction.

DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DROID. It will find you and make you sorry :)

J-Buck

Reaction score
I would just get it from a different verizon store in my area. Sounds like yours got a defective batch. And im sure it will get better. Fight the good fight!

windstrings

Reaction score
A computer can do virtually anything you have software for.... so is the Droid.

A "device" comes preloaded with firmware and software and thats it.. it is what it is.... thats the storm.

If you want software you can learn and be done.. get the storm, iphone or many others... if you want limitless possibilities with open-source and Google powering everything .. get the droid.

Last edited:

SoccerDroid

Reaction score
Droid vs Storm 2

I have the Droid and my wife has the Storm 2. Here is my opinion on the 2 of them.

Graphics-MUCH better on Droid.
Apps-tit for tat
Sound Quality- Like the Droid better (no echo for me)
Sync with Outlook-Storm 2! I had to jump through hoops to get my contacts and calender to my Droid
Phone-the Storm 2 is much easier to make calls. I miss the ablility to call someone using short cuts from the keyboard (I had a BB Curve)

Over all, I like my Droid MUCH better than the Storm 2. But, I am hopeing that some changes will be on the horizon,

windstrings

Reaction score
I've gotten deep enough I'm past the point of no return.. I can never go back to a normal phone.

I love syncing my gdocs, calendar, and contacts with my google online accounts.

Outlook was the mode of choice once upon a time, but that ties you to the computer that all the outlook files are on and they don't make it easy to sync with other computers. Googles Ideal is the sweetest.

For first generation, this is really a blow-a-way for what you get. Free Nav and the google map technology that aligns itself with many of the search apps available for shopping, browsing, and security.

But all this poteintial is no good if someone is going to pull their hair out before they figure it all out... there is a serious learning curve for those who are not already acclimated to the pda/smartphone world.

If your not already at least considered a computer geek by your friends, I would question getting a droid if you have no other background than regular cell phones.

That must my opinion....
If you love a challenge and are patient.. go for it.. you won't outgrow it!

Its googles own fault they didn't provide a manual.

I can't figure out if they did that so non-geeks would not get the phone and pester them with endless support questions or whether they thought it would gender more problems than help with the constant changing of features, firmware, and apps available.

I'm sure many folks would assume Google/verizon is responsible for troubleshooting any app they download simply because it will install on the phone.

They don't realize the Droid is like a computer.
It will accept multitudes of different software and each software changes the device into another creature.

Example... my phone keeps freezing... whats wrong?.... Good luck with that one!

Last edited by a moderator:

docholiday

Reaction score
Storm 2 is Storm 1 repackaged. More memory... big whoop. Still a dead OS in BB. Droid has so much potential.

The patch is Dec. 11th for the update.

You're gonna see issues for ANY device on ANY forum you go to. Some are user error... some are apps causing issues... some are simple settings being overlooked.... bad reception... etc.

Overall the DROID is very functional for being 1st gen. I was a Storm 1 owner (purchasing when it was released) and I can tell you with certainty that the DROID is in no way problem ridden like the Storm is. Not even close.

Not to mention Google/Moto is taking input from consumers asking what we'd like to see and what needs to be fixed. It's a step in the right direction.

DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DROID. It will find you and make you sorry :)
I concur...

MikeDroid

Reaction score
Bail and what phone? ALL phones have issues, what matters is what the company does about them

Last edited by a moderator:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nanci, one of the things I would try, if you like the droid style of phone, go ahead and try the eris. Right now it's pretty much the only comparable phone to the droid from verizon. Some people like it more because of the UI is has. Some say it's just smaller to handle. But as far as the storm 2 is concerned, i wouldn't waste me time with it if i were you.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree, I tried the ERIS and too many bugs

Which is fine, and your are welcomed to your opinion, yet nanci was the one asking for advice. The other phone she mentioned was a storm 2, which is well above the eris in any regards to buggy. Plus the eris is getting it's own update on the 11th also.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
Lets see, Verizon will sell 1 million units my year end alone. Applications are being added in droves and Iphone app developers are embracing the Droid (easy to write programs for). A big software update on 12/11... so yes... bail on some platform that will have more bugs with no future.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Developers are embracing the android platform not just the droid, only reason they are embracing the droid at all atm is because it's the only unit with 2.0 on it. There are set to be around 30 new units with android platform on it within the next year, there are alot of people that like sense UI. It's not a dying platform at all. Sense UI is not the android platform, it's merely a UI.

joesharpsec1

Reaction score
I got it the 1st day it came out. Within days I had a bad echo problem. Took it to the Verizon store and they said it was defective. Exchanged it and the same thing happened.

I understand there's a patch coming out on the 18th but am concerned about my 30 day time frame for returning without the 2 year commitment. What is the likelihood that this problem with be resolved satisfactorily with the software update?

This is my first Smartphone. Do most of them have issues like I'm reading here?

Is this like buying a car the first model year it comes out where they haven't worked the kinks out yet?

Does anyone know how the Storm 2 compares?

Thanks.
Try lowering the volume setting and make a test call to whom ever. My wife said my phone had an echo too and I was at Verizon store for a separate issue. When I lowered the volume it helped.