DROID won't work if you have Alltel plan??

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
people that had their insurance rate go up got screwed. YOUR CSR did it wrong. They do not need to delete the re add it. It should stay the same. i have never paid more than 5/month 50 deductible. Never will.

I ordered mine online and the website checkout only had limited options as far as the warranty is concerned, so I chose what it offered.

At least thats one less thing I can have to be irked by from a VZW CSR. lol
I saw that during checkout too, vzw only options for the warranty and a warning that all your alltel add-ons may not carry over. I felt that the warranty was one of those add-ons that would not carry over.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I cannot really discuss much because a lot of the thing I know because of working for Verizon make it so that I cannot discuss things outside of work. But if you work for Verizon you should know certain things about Alltel, and it seems that you do not, and that itself scares me. I have had not had one customer complain about any of the service I have given them over the phone. So I am sorry you feel that way.
Ok, here's the facts, alltel people can keep there plans so why would you tell them that they can't? Just answer that, plenty of happy droid users on alltel plans.

And how can they complain when it's not until way, way later when they find out that they've been jerked?

OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems with your CSR. I also work for a converted Alltel retailer and now sell Verizon products. I also have a Droid and my recomendation to you is to not have the Droids on an Alltel plan. The issues that you will see are slow downloads, and several verizon features and updates that will not work on your phone. The Alltel data system and the Verizon data system are two different systems and a Verizon handset will work on an Alltel plan but the data features will not work the same. So you will most likely end up with a very cool dumb smartphone.

Like what exactly?
Because so far......so good!
I really would like to know, what won't work? VZW Visual VoiceMail maybe........so what! I don't want to pay for that service anyway. I'll admit I've only had my DROID for a short time but I have tried every pre-installed app and a few I've downloaded with no trouble.

Slow downloads......???? I had a delivery that I had to make this morning that was waaayyy off the beaten and I never lost 3g coverage, and I had google maps running too! (not the navigation, just the maps so no pre-load)

What do updates have to do with what plan I'm on???

Honestly, if you can come up with some verifiable issues that I'll be missing out on then I WILL consider switching over.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Honestly, if you can come up with some verifiable issues that I'll be missing out on then I WILL consider switching over.
He can come up with no issues, except not being able to bump you off your plan. If there was any issues the vzw website would not be set up to let you keep your plan. it would have forced you to convert your plan for the droid if it was not compatible. The website clearly states when going threw the upgrade process that the alltel plan is compatible with the droid and all other vzw phones.

aacanela73

Reaction score
You know when you mix dirt with water you get mud. I just felt very offended when you start saying that they fish us off of the street. You know if you have the money to be walking around with a Droid I can't believe that you would fuss so much over a $10 price change in your plan.:)

aacanela73

Reaction score
I can't however see into the future and at that we are all still learning. (So your harshness with Verizon CSR's is way harsh!) Can you for sure say that you are 100% sure that you will never have an issue with it being on an Alltel plan? I wish I had the same confidence as you do. Unfortunately I will not misslead my customers and tell them that there will never be any issue with a Verizon phone being on an Alltel plan. I would be interested to hear from you again in the future to see if in fact you get any mud in your mixture. You are in a very different part of the country then I am also so what happens here may be very different from what happens there.

Last edited:
OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
I don't want to bash any VZW CSRs that are browsing and posting in this forum, in fact I'd like to THANK them for being interested in the products that they sell.

With that being said, I just don't feel like I'm going to miss out on any features or updates because I'm on a grandfathered Alltel plan.

If someone can show me verifiable issues, I'll humbly eat my words and apologize.

bllarkin

Reaction score
I have had no issues thus far (besides supposedly Visual Voicemail not working, which I haven't tested because I'm not paying for it). The only thing I had to change was the insurance (which was a dollar more), and any time I have called, they have never said a word about my plan (and this is calling to change my number and specifically saying "I am on an Alltel plan and I don't want to pay the extra".

Also, the price difference isn't $10, like someone said. In my case, my wife and I both have smartphones. We have the Smartchoice plan with 500 minutes, 10 My Circle/Friends and Family, Unlimited Text, nights starting at 7 pm. This plan costs me $89.99 + $40 for the extra line, so $129.99 before any fees or anything, then insurance on top of that. For Verizon, the cheapest family plan with Friends and Family is $129.99 for 1400 minutes. I don't need anywhere near that many minutes, but that is the lowest one. Then you have to add data for both lines ($60 total), then $30 for unlimited text (to make it equivalent to my Alltel plan). So $129.99 + $60 + $30 = $219.99. That's A LOT more.

Edit: In the end, if it comes down to it, then I will switch plans when that time comes, and I will cut down on my services to save money on it. As it stands right now, I'll stick with my plan.

OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
You know when you mix dirt with water you get mud. I just felt very offended when you start saying that they fish us off of the street. You know if you have the money to be walking around with a Droid I can't believe that you would fuss so much over a $10 price change in your plan.:)

$10 per month for a two year contract = $120, and in my case multiply that by two, because my wife has a DROID and you get $240!

Now I don't know at what point money becomes "real" to you, but $240 ain't chump change to me. Especially when I'm already paying $245 a month now! If I were to change to a VZW plan it would be roughly $260 after taxes.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Did you say $10? It's not just $10 buddy, we are also talking nights & weekends starting at 7pm. That's 120 minutes free every weekday, 5 days X 120min = 600 min per week and if you X's that by 4 weeks = 2400mins. Now combine that with the monthly minutes allowance. Not to mention some alltel people have 15 friends & fam & some have 20, add that to the 7pm n&w and all at a lower cost than any comparible verizon plan. I can have 3 droids on my alltel account for $156.99 per month compared to $191.60, a savings of $34.61 a month or $415.32 per year.

Can your plan do that? :)

Last edited:
OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
I can't however see into the future and at that we are all still learning. (So your harshness with Verizon CSR's is way harsh!) Can you for sure say that you are 100% sure that you will never have an issue with it being on an Alltel plan? I wish I had the same confidence as you do. Unfortunately I will not misslead my customers and tell them that there will never be any issue with a Verizon phone being on an Alltel plan. I would be interested to hear from you again in the future to see if in fact you get any mud in your mixture. You are in a very different part of the country then I am also so what happens here may be very different from what happens there.

I don't think we've been harsh at all, venting off a little steam maybe, but harsh? Nah............you should have been with me Monday evening when I was at that VZW corporate store. The things I said to those two people after I caught them in lie (not related to DROIDs)................NOW that was HARSH!

OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
Did you say $10? It's not just $10 buddy, we are also talking nights & weekends starting at 7pm. That's 120 minutes free every weekday, 5 days X 120min = 600 min per week and if you X's that by 4 weeks = 2400mins. Now combine that with the monthly minutes allowance. Not to mention some alltel people have 15 friends & fam & some have 20, add that to the 7pm n&w and all at a lower cost than any comparible verizon plan. I can have 3 droids on my alltel account for $156.99 per month compared to $191.60, a savings of $34.61 a month or $415.32 per year.

Can your plan do that? :)

DITTO.......lol

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I don't think we've been harsh at all, venting off a little steam maybe, but harsh? Nah............you should have been with me Monday evening when I was at that VZW corporate store. The things I said to those two people after I caught them in lie (not related to DROIDs)................NOW that was HARSH!

When someone gives me misleading-information, intentional or not and that info could cost me money, you dog gone right my words will be HARSH!!!!!!!! :icon_ devil:

If Verizon is telling the CSR's to get people off there alltel plans, on to verizon plans, I would then have to ask myself, are the droids on the shelf or sitting in the chairs behind the computers? :icon_eek:

bllarkin

Reaction score
Also, the price difference isn't $10, like someone said. In my case, my wife and I both have smartphones. We have the Smartchoice plan with 500 minutes, 10 My Circle/Friends and Family, Unlimited Text, nights starting at 7 pm. This plan costs me $89.99 + $40 for the extra line, so $129.99 before any fees or anything, then insurance on top of that. For Verizon, the cheapest family plan with Friends and Family is $129.99 for 1400 minutes. I don't need anywhere near that many minutes, but that is the lowest one. Then you have to add data for both lines ($60 total), then $30 for unlimited text (to make it equivalent to my Alltel plan). So $129.99 + $60 + $30 = $219.99. That's A LOT more.

Edit: In the end, if it comes down to it, then I will switch plans when that time comes, and I will cut down on my services to save money on it. As it stands right now, I'll stick with my plan.

Sorry, I screwed up in my calculation. Unlimited text is included in the 1400 minute plan, and it is only $119.99, so it would actually only be $180 a month (before taxes and fees), so it's actually about $50 more a month. That is still a big difference.

aacanela73

Reaction score
I didn't tell them they can't it was another agent. I said it may not be in the best fuctionality of the phone. I am quite aware that you can put Verizon handsets onto Alltel plans I do it every day.