DROID won't work if you have Alltel plan??

verakkr

Reaction score
First off, being a Verizon CSR, I know first hand that there are a lot of employees who are the brightest bulbs in the box. It really just depends on the store, and the management. But I'm not even going to vent about that. Secondly, being in DFW, I see a very small amount of Alltel customers to begin with, but the ones I have helped, the data package, and text messaging IS required to change to VZW pricing BUT I've noticed that Alltel has several different plans for different regions, so you just might be one of the lucky few to make it by. I would definitely check your bill when you get it though, as it seems the CSR who helped you didn't really know what was going on in the first place. But enjoy your droid! lol

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Don't know if this is a factor but is my observation. I live in ohio and we've got verizon corporate stores and authorized dealers, oddly enough within less than a mile of each other. At dealer CSR's were idiots, at corp store knew way more and almost all reps had smartphones. The CSR I dealt with when I got my droid was very knowledgable and was customer oriented. Took his time to show me some things as I was new to smartphones and android. At the time they were testing the bluetooth problems and was suprised I knew about it. The whole staff was really pretty good. So maybe you need to find a corporate store and see if you have better luck with the staff.

sladekal

Reaction score
Alltel family unlimited data plan

Of course the droid will work with your alltel voice plan, all that's needed is to add the verizon data feature $29.99. The alltel data feature will not show as an option anymore. There are many alltel/vzw people using the droid.

We already had Alltel's unlimited data plan and the DROID seems to work just fine with it. We have NOT changed our plan's features at all.

You better double check that... ALL VERIZON SMARTPHONES OR ADVANCED VERIZON DEVICES REQUIRE A VERIZON DATA PLAN! Do not mean to shout, but this is VZW policy. EROS will not even allow a droid or any other smartphone to even be activated with out adding this feature.

I have the Alltel family unlimited data plan and did not have to change anything for my Droid.

OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
First off, being a Verizon CSR, I know first hand that there are a lot of employees who are the brightest bulbs in the box. It really just depends on the store, and the management. But I'm not even going to vent about that. Secondly, being in DFW, I see a very small amount of Alltel customers to begin with, but the ones I have helped, the data package, and text messaging IS required to change to VZW pricing BUT I've noticed that Alltel has several different plans for different regions, so you just might be one of the lucky few to make it by. I would definitely check your bill when you get it though, as it seems the CSR who helped you didn't really know what was going on in the first place. But enjoy your droid! lol

I have a feeling that this particular location's management is the problem.

Long story short is the manager and I had deal worked out to replace my son's phone then all of a sudden they were "out of stock" and couldn't even order one. The problem I have with that is, I found out later that the reason they were "out of stock" was because the manager had agreed to make a deal that was too cheap. I don't have a problem with someone making a mistake and misquoting a price but don't then lie to me with some made up crap and try to hide the fact that you screwed up. Please keep in mind that this anecdote is extremely condensed from what transpired and is by far not the only time something like this has happened to me at VZW stores.

I know there are competent people that work at VZW stores, I just seem to get stuck with the idiots or crooks. lol

@jstafford1...I was at a corporate store.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I has to upgrade my plan by doing a full switch to verizon to get my droid fully opperational.

If you would have went online to my verizon and went through the upgrade process all the way to checkout without actually checking out you would see that you have the option to keep or change your alltel plan to another alltel plan that existed during the buyout or to a verizon plan. The droid is fully functional with a alltel plan.

Of course the droid will work with your alltel voice plan, all that's needed is to add the verizon data feature $29.99. The alltel data feature will not show as an option anymore. There are many alltel/vzw people using the droid.

We already had Alltel's unlimited data plan and the DROID seems to work just fine with it. We have NOT changed our plan's features at all.
You did not have to change your data plan because the system automaticlly replaced it for you (one for the other). They are both the same price $29.99, so you would not know or see the differance (same name). Go to "speedtest.com" on your droid & do a speed test, I bet your IP address has changed & no longer says "Alltel corporation", it now says CELCO PARTNERSHIP, VERIZON. If you still have a Alltel data feature it would still say "Alltel corporation".

Also, I upgrade to the MiFi last month via online. The vzw site said my alltel unlimited data plan was compatible & I could keep it so I went all the way to checkout. Got the MiFi two days later, did the activation, used it for 30 min, then I went to check my verizon for usage. The usage no longer showed as "ALT 1X Unlimited" it now shows as "UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE" & I now have a verizon IP address but the plan still says it's the same when I look at the title of the plan.

UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE shows for the verizon people on grandfathered unlimited verizon data plans and Alltel people who kepted there unlimited plan (which is now a grandfathered verizon plan) but are using a verizon data card.

And you thought you were paying attention, you've been partially assimilated and didn't even know it.:icon_eek:

Have you guys ever checked out HOWARD FORUMS? We have been past this for awhile now over in the verizon section.

Last edited:

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Feel lucky that you were able to do that. The system should have automatically put you on a Verizon Nationwide plan with the data package.
Not true. Alltel people have the option of keeping there current alltel plan, switching to a alltel plan that was offered during the buyout or changing to a verizon plan. I always tell alltel customers not to do any transactions in the store if they intened on keeping there alltel plan. The store reps will screw you! Use the store to play with the phones only, when done go home get online and buy threw my verizon. You will see that it will let you keep your voice plan but it will ask you to choose the $29.99 verizon data feature when picking a smartphone. No big deal, it's the same price as the alltel data and there both unlimited. As for alltel people on the smartchoice pack it will just swap the alltel data for the verizon data.

Where have you guys been???

Are you alltel/verizon guys aware that *611 on a alltel phone will connect you to the converted department (old alltel reps), they will help you too.

Spectral

Reaction score
When upgrading to a phone like the Droid or other newer phones the phones specifically say when looking them up in the given equipment guide any rep has access to that the new phone requires that it be on a Nationwide Plan. It is no different than if someone who has an older Verizon plan like Americas Choice I or II. If you had that plan and were upgrading to the Droid you would need to change to the equivalent plan under nationwide. And not all Alltel customers get to speak with Alltel reps on the phone I have helped plenty.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
people that had their insurance rate go up got screwed. YOUR CSR did it wrong. They do not need to delete the re add it. It should stay the same. i have never paid more than 5/month 50 deductible. Never will.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
When upgrading to a phone like the Droid or other newer phones the phones specifically say when looking them up in the given equipment guide any rep has access to that the new phone requires that it be on a Nationwide Plan. It is no different than if someone who has an older Verizon plan like Americas Choice I or II. If you had that plan and were upgrading to the Droid you would need to change to the equivalent plan under nationwide. And not all Alltel customers get to speak with Alltel reps on the phone I have helped plenty.
That's why it's better for a alltel person to do it online because of what you speak. I can go threw the motions of a upgrade online, keep the alltel voice plan and just choose the vzw $29.99 data feature, why is that?

And it doesn't sound like you helped any alltel people if you jerked them out there plan or said that needed to switch.

Last edited:
OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
I has to upgrade my plan by doing a full switch to verizon to get my droid fully opperational.

If you would have went online to my verizon and went through the upgrade process all the way to checkout without actually checking out you would see that you have the option to keep or change your alltel plan to another alltel plan that existed during the buyout or to a verizon plan. The droid is fully functional with a alltel plan.

You did not have to change your data plan because the system automaticlly replaced it for you (one for the other). They are both the same price $29.99, so you would not know the differance. Go to "speedtest.com" on your droid, I bet your IP address has changed & no longer says "Alltel corporation", it now says CELCO PARTNERSHIP, VERIZON. If you have still have a Alltel data feature it would still say "Alltel corporation".

Also, I upgrade to the MiFi last month via online. The vzw site said my alltel unlimited data plan was compatible & I could keep it so I went all the way to checkout. Got the MiFi two days later, did the activation, used it for 30 min, then I went to check my verizon for usage. The usage no longer showed as "ALT 1X Unlimited" it now shows as "UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE" & I now have a verizon IP address but the plan still says it's the same when I look at the title of the plan.
Have you guys ever checked out HOWARD FORUMS? We have been past this for awhile now over in the verizon section.

UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE shows for the verizon people on grandfathered unlimited verizon data plans and Alltel people who kepted there unlimited plan (which is now a grandfathered verizon plan) but are using a verizon data card.

And you thought you were paying attention, you've been partially assimilated and didn't even know it.:icon_eek:

I know you weren't specifficaly responding to me about buying online, but that is what I did. I bought mine using the website. I had only gone to the VZW store to resolve an issue with my son's phone and while there the CSR's were telling me that the DROID wasn't going to work with a grandfathered Alltel plan, of course I knew flat out that that was a LIE and they were only trying to get me to switch to a more expensive plan or that they were completely clueless.

And it is because of HO FO that I knew this to be true!

Most of the CSRs at VZW I have had the "pleasure" of dealing with have been very lacking in technical knowledge of the products that they sell. Now I know they have copious amounts of inventory to sell and keep up to date on, but their ignorance is amazing sometimes. I will say that I do believe that it is more of a management issue than anything, as I'm sure that the CSRs are drilled by management to make "sales" over being knowledgeable.

Having been in sales for my entire adult life I have found more success selling products that I believe in and have studied, rather than selling products that I have no interest in. It just seems to me that the majority of the CSRs are only there for a paycheck.

Anywho..........I've had better luck dealing with VZW via the telephone.

OP
crspang

crspang

Reaction score
people that had their insurance rate go up got screwed. YOUR CSR did it wrong. They do not need to delete the re add it. It should stay the same. i have never paid more than 5/month 50 deductible. Never will.

I ordered mine online and the website checkout only had limited options as far as the warranty is concerned, so I chose what it offered.

At least thats one less thing I can have to be irked by from a VZW CSR. lol

aacanela73

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems with your CSR. I also work for a converted Alltel retailer and now sell Verizon products. I also have a Droid and my recomendation to you is to not have the Droids on an Alltel plan. The issues that you will see are slow downloads, and several verizon features and updates that will not work on your phone. The Alltel data system and the Verizon data system are two different systems and a Verizon handset will work on an Alltel plan but the data features will not work the same. So you will most likely end up with a very cool dumb smartphone.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Spectral seems to be one of those csr's that has no idea & to me that is scary. Has he no idea that alltel plans are the equivalent to the nationwide verizon plans and are compatiable with all vzw phones? So when he hears nationwide plan the first thing he does is tell the alltel customer they have to switch to a verizon plan.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems with your CSR. I also work for a converted Alltel retailer and now sell Verizon products. I also have a Droid and my recomendation to you is to not have the Droids on an Alltel plan. The issues that you will see are slow downloads, and several verizon features and updates that will not work on your phone. The Alltel data system and the Verizon data system are two different systems and a Verizon handset will work on an Alltel plan but the data features will not work the same. So you will most likely end up with a very cool dumb smartphone.
Ahh.... Alltel voice plan with the $29.99 verizon data feature, HELLO!!! Your not using alltel data your using vzw data , you scare me too :icon_eek: What are you talking about????

Last edited:

Spectral

Reaction score
Spectral seems to be one of those csr's that has no idea & to me that is scary. Has he no idea that alltel plans are the equivalent to the nationwide verizon plans and are compatiable with all vzw phones? So when he hears nationwide plan the first thing he does is tell the alltel customer they have to switch to a verizon plan.

I cannot really discuss much because a lot of the thing I know because of working for Verizon make it so that I cannot discuss things outside of work. But if you work for Verizon you should know certain things about Alltel, and it seems that you do not, and that itself scares me. I have had not had one customer complain about any of the service I have given them over the phone. So I am sorry you feel that way.