Shapewriter going off the market

ice456789

Reaction score
On June 20 Shapewriter keyboard will be pulled from the market according to their site. Just thought everyone should know (since Swype isn't an option for some people anymore). So get it now before it disappears! There's also SlideIt keyboard as another alternative.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering that ShapeWriter is a free app, I strongly suspect it will be replaced by a paid version. Pulling the free version from the Market will enable the vendor to provide support only to a single version.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Swype buzz killed it.

A couple of other possibilities are (a) that the Shapewriter folks are adopting the same marketing strategy as Swype (i.e. licensing to phone manufacturers and carriers) or (b) legal issues have arisen between Shapewriter and Swype in reference to patents and copyrights for features that were originally developed for IBM in the late 1990's.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Maybe the Swype buzz killed it.

A couple of other possibilities are (a) that the Shapewriter folks are adopting the same marketing strategy as Swype (i.e. licensing to phone manufacturers and carriers) or (b) legal issues have arisen between Shapewriter and Swype in reference to patents and copyrights for features that were originally developed for IBM in the late 1990's.

That makes sense.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Considering that ShapeWriter is a free app, I strongly suspect it will be replaced by a paid version. Pulling the free version from the Market will enable the vendor to provide support only to a single version.

Here is what the update said:

We plan to take ShapeWriter off the Android Market on June 20 for an indefinite period of time. We ask you to update your ShapeWriter to version 3.0.9 which will not expire. In particular, the paid user should upgrade to the latest version ASAP.

I don't see a paid version, other than their writing pad. Very odd.

jimmyg

Reaction score
Bump, Tomorrow is the day! everyone should try this, i used swype and SlideIT, this is by far the best. I have yet to spell anything wrong and also has a spot for other words just above the keyboard with different words!

Last edited:

sparty569

Reaction score
This sucks. I actually prefer Shapewriter to swype right now, because of the bigger buttons or at least space between the buttons. makes it easier to fix the onsie twosie mistakes.

jimmyg

Reaction score
As long as you have this i believe it will remain on your phone and working if you have the newest version. Just no updates for a while I'm guessing.