several google voice questions

Big Ry

Reaction score
ok, i just got GV and im not quite sure about some things...

1) I understand you can have GV for your carriers number or from a new GV number ad the differences b/w the 2...but can you use GV for both? like, can you use visual voice mail from GV for people calling your GV number OR your carrier's number? or would i have to continue using phonefusion for the carrier's number?

2) i heard there caller ID issues with the SMS. like, when you reply, the user doesnt see your GV number. is this true?

3) i read something about an app that will like call you or do some kind of forwarding deal to a family and friends number so you dont get charged minutes. but im on a 700 family plan, which i dont think had the family and friends thing. is there anything i can do about this? is there anyway around it for non-fam/friend accounts?

4) do you think google will begin charging for this? voice and maps w/nav are in beta, so theyre free. but do they plan to keep all this free? how can they do that? how do they make money? and how do they not get sued? lol

nphil

Reaction score
I have managed to get free calling with google voice to any number in the US over 3G/WiFi (i.e REAL voip), if you're interested I can dig up the info. It's a fairly lengthy process though.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I have managed to get free calling with google voice to any number in the US over 3G/WiFi (i.e REAL voip), if you're interested I can dig up the info. It's a fairly lengthy process though.
3G? droids are CDMA...

but if you dont mind, id like to read up on the process. is it annoying to make calls (i.e. a bunch of steps)?

nphil

Reaction score
fine, EVDO Rev-A! I'm used to GSM phones lol. Anyways, here's the info :

Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice - Google Docs

SKIP all the crap all the way to section 14, the part with screenshots. Start from there, easier to follow.

What you'll basically need are sipgate and sipsorcery accounts, and a google voice number. Once everything is setup, download sipdroid from here Downloads - sipdroid - Project Hosting on Google Code and then it's as easy as dialing a number.

Or you could just open a sipsorcery account, set it up according to the instructions on the linked walkthrough and download Fring off the market. Setup fring to use a SIP account, enter sipsorcery details there. I don't prefer this method as fring is a bit buggy, so use sipdroid for best results!

I've tested this with outgoing calls only atm, voice clarity was generally good over WiFi, and when I have good range over 3g. It does take a while to connect you to a call though, since it's being rerouted through a bunch of servers on sipsorcery, sipgate and finally google voice. Nothing unbearable though.

Also, if you want to test if it really works and is not a sham, put your phone on airplane mode, then enable wifi. Go to sipdroid>Call Options>uncheck use 3G, use EDGE, but keep use WiFi checked. Go back to the app's homescreen and type in a number, then dial.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
3G? droids are CDMA...

3G refers to "3rd generation" both CDMA and GSM are third-generation (i.e. 3G). If you look at your notification bar you'll see a '3G' signal icon. Apple in their usual disregard for standards and wanting to push their BS marketing have completely screwed up 3G with their iPhoney marketing (while it stands for 3rd generation of the iPhone they ignored that fact that most people have little or NO idea of what 3G means in terms of cellular networks).
More info:3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
3G? droids are CDMA...

3G refers to "3rd generation" both CDMA and GSM are third-generation (i.e. 3G). If you look at your notification bar you'll see a '3G' signal icon. Apple in their usual disregard for standards and wanting to push their BS marketing have completely screwed up 3G with their iPhoney marketing (while it stands for 3rd generation of the iPhone they ignored that fact that most people have little or NO idea of what 3G means in terms of cellular networks).
More info:3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wow, im retarded. i totally confused GSM and 3G even though i definitely know the difference lol. sorry, im fallin asleep here :-o

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
fine, EVDO Rev-A! I'm used to GSM phones lol. Anyways, here's the info :

Unlimited Free Calling with Google Voice - Google Docs

SKIP all the crap all the way to section 14, the part with screenshots. Start from there, easier to follow.

What you'll basically need are sipgate and sipsorcery accounts, and a google voice number. Once everything is setup, download sipdroid from here Downloads - sipdroid - Project Hosting on Google Code and then it's as easy as dialing a number.

Or you could just open a sipsorcery account, set it up according to the instructions on the linked walkthrough and download Fring off the market. Setup fring to use a SIP account, enter sipsorcery details there. I don't prefer this method as fring is a bit buggy, so use sipdroid for best results!

I've tested this with outgoing calls only atm, voice clarity was generally good over WiFi, and when I have good range over 3g. It does take a while to connect you to a call though, since it's being rerouted through a bunch of servers on sipsorcery, sipgate and finally google voice. Nothing unbearable though.

Also, if you want to test if it really works and is not a sham, put your phone on airplane mode, then enable wifi. Go to sipdroid>Call Options>uncheck use 3G, use EDGE, but keep use WiFi checked. Go back to the app's homescreen and type in a number, then dial.
cool, thanx man

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) I understand you can have GV for your carriers number or from a new GV number ad the differences b/w the 2...but can you use GV for both? like, can you use visual voice mail from GV for people calling your GV number OR your carrier's number? or would i have to continue using phonefusion for the carrier's number?
Not sure what you mean by "use GV for both". You can have your VZW number forward to GV's voicemail if you want. However, other GV features are only going to work with your GV number.

2) i heard there caller ID issues with the SMS. like, when you reply, the user doesnt see your GV number. is this true?
Not that I'm aware of. I think what you're referring to are inbound SMS if you have them forwarded to your GV number. In Messaging or other SMS apps they'll come in from a 406 number with your contact's name/number at the beginning of each message. I think they show up "normally" in the GV app.

3) i read something about an app that will like call you or do some kind of forwarding deal to a family and friends number so you dont get charged minutes. but im on a 700 family plan, which i dont think had the family and friends thing. is there anything i can do about this? is there anyway around it for non-fam/friend accounts?
IIRC all family plans have F&F so you might want to double-check on that. You can add your dial-out number (the number that GV calls to place calls) to F&F but be aware that it can change.

4) do you think google will begin charging for this? voice and maps w/nav are in beta, so theyre free. but do they plan to keep all this free? how can they do that? how do they make money? and how do they not get sued? lol
Advertising. Using the data from people's usage of their products. Same as it has ever been for Google.

Why would they get sued?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "use GV for both". You can have your VZW number forward to GV's voicemail if you want. However, other GV features are only going to work with your GV number.

Not that I'm aware of. I think what you're referring to are inbound SMS if you have them forwarded to your GV number. In Messaging or other SMS apps they'll come in from a 406 number with your contact's name/number at the beginning of each message. I think they show up "normally" in the GV app.

IIRC all family plans have F&F so you might want to double-check on that. You can add your dial-out number (the number that GV calls to place calls) to F&F but be aware that it can change.

Advertising. Using the data from people's usage of their products. Same as it has ever been for Google.

Why would they get sued?
about having bothe #'s on GV, i think thats what i meant. the only reason i asked is because i dont want PF visual voicemail AND GV visual voicemail. if i could get both numbers going to the same voicemail, that'd be perfect. and can you see the voice transcription in the GV app? (i havent even used it yet, so i dont know)

its def only certain plans that have F&F...

Unlimited Family Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless

unfortunately, we have the 700 plan.

i figured google giving away all these paid services had to have some kind of legal ramifications. even if theyre not "illegal", seems like they might be borderline.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Sip???????

edit: stupid requirement for have a minimum amount of characters to post lol