google voice

Big Ry

Reaction score
i have a google voice number that i literally never use. i want GV visual voicemail for my regular number though. iirc, you cant have both on one gmail account. can i create another and move my GV number to it then use GV on my regular number and regular gmail account for VVM? or do i need to just delete my GV number? or am i just completely wrong and i can have both a GV number and a VZW number with GV VVM on the same gmail account?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have a google voice number that i literally never use. i want GV visual voicemail for my regular number though. iirc, you cant have both on one gmail account. can i create another and move my GV number to it then use GV on my regular number and regular gmail account for VVM? or do i need to just delete my GV number? or am i just completely wrong and i can have both a GV number and a VZW number with GV VVM on the same gmail account?

You can have Google voice be your regular voice mail if that's what your asking. I believe in the settings you can set it up that way instead of using Verizons VM. In the settings right next to your real number is a link to activate Google Voice mail on this phone.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have Google Voice Mail on my Verizon Number, when you install the Gvoice app it walks you through the set-up/sign-in process, you can also access it via computer

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I have Google Voice Mail on my Verizon Number, when you install the Gvoice app it walks you through the set-up/sign-in process, you can also access it via computer
i tried this but it didnt work

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Is it giving you a sign in error ?
the initial setup let me record a message and akl, but then when someone would call me itd still go to my vzw voicemail. i had dialed the activation number too, which i just tried again...all it does is call my GV number. i would think it shouldnt be doing that since i want this separate from my GV number.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the settings within the computer based website ?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you need to have your cell as one of the numbers associated with GV so it knows to send calls from that number directly to voicemail when you have conditional call forwarding enabled (what the "Activate Google Voice voicemail" link walks you through).

The "Do not disturb" setting in GV may achieve the same result for your situation since it sends all calls directly to voicemail.

or am i just completely wrong and i can have both a GV number and a VZW number with GV VVM on the same gmail account?
You can. That's how I'm set up even though I don't give out my VZW number.

i had dialed the activation number too, which i just tried again...all it does is call my GV number. i would think it shouldnt be doing that since i want this separate from my GV number.
That's what it should do. It's just not going directly to voicemail. GV voicemail can't handle calls unless you have conditional call forwarding set up to your GV number.

Last edited:
OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
You might want to check out Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail. It has free visual voice mail and a droid app and some other pretty slick features. As fas GVoice goes, you can use your same google account with gmail and gvoice
i been using phone fusion but the text inscription was only free for 30 days and wasnt very accurate anyway. i figured gv is probably on point like everything else google makes. plus i used youmail on my BlackBerry and it was garbage...perhaps its changed. is text inscription truly free? and is it accurate?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I think you need to have your cell as one of the numbers associated with GV so it knows to send calls from that number directly to voicemail when you have conditional call forwarding enabled (what the "Activate Google Voice voicemail" link walks you through).

The "Do not disturb" setting in GV may achieve the same result for your situation since it sends all calls directly to voicemail.

or am i just completely wrong and i can have both a GV number and a VZW number with GV VVM on the same gmail account?
You can. That's how I'm set up even though I don't give out my VZW number.

i had dialed the activation number too, which i just tried again...all it does is call my GV number. i would think it shouldnt be doing that since i want this separate from my GV number.
That's what it should do. It's just not going directly to voicemail. GV voicemail can't handle calls unless you have conditional call forwarding set up to your GV number.
but ive already done this, why it no worky? :(

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
You've tried enabling Do Not Disturb (Settings->Voice settings->Calls)?

Can you post a screenshot of https://www.google.com/voice#phones with your phone number(s) obscured?
i went to Settings ->Do Not Disturb. the path you specified doesnt exist. why would this make my vzw number use gv voicemail though? it doesnt make sense to me.