Several collected issues

Reaction score
I am writing about the Galaxy Nexus at FrictionFactor.com (Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Android ICS)

and have directed readers to these forums because of the outstanding help offered here. Answers to some issues have been posted, but the (current) issues for which I am seeking answers include:
  1. Does the wi-fi antenna in the Galaxy Nexus have poor gain for anybody besides me?
  2. Why does “speech to text” sometimes stop working, failing to process?
  3. The Galaxy Nexus has a front facing camera. So what app is needed to use it for video chats? I normally use Live Messenger for video chats, so I was hoping this would be an option for this phone. Nope.
  4. Why does ICS combine volume settings ringtone and notifications?
  5. How to correct the location for an address that GPS has wrong?
  6. "Recent Apps" button: does "remove from list" remove it from memory?
Thank you in advance,
Larry

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I am writing about the Galaxy Nexus at FrictionFactor.com (Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Android ICS)

and have directed readers to these forums because of the outstanding help offered here. Answers to some issues have been posted, but the (current) issues for which I am seeking answers include:
  1. Does the wi-fi antenna in the Galaxy Nexus have poor gain for anybody besides me?
  2. Why does “speech to text” sometimes stop working, failing to process?
  3. The Galaxy Nexus has a front facing camera. So what app is needed to use it for video chats? I normally use Live Messenger for video chats, so I was hoping this would be an option for this phone. Nope.
  4. Why does ICS combine volume settings ringtone and notifications?
  5. How to correct the location for an address that GPS has wrong?
  6. "Recent Apps" button: does "remove from list" remove it from memory?
Thank you in advance,
Larry

I'll answer some that I can.

1) Antenna has poor gain for almost all when compared to other phones. However it has not been proven that this is actually a defect or a result of a poor radio since ICS is supposedly the first and only OS to report true LTE signal strength. You can do a search on this issue, update to the new leaked radios seemed to help some people, but it may be a false sense of an upgrade.
2) don't use text to speech
3) Skype works for me
4) most phones have volume set up this way, there are apps to correct this. Otherwise volume can be changed when it is actually being used.
5) kinda confused, just type in the correct address???
6)removing from recent list does NOT remove from memory.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

OP
F
Reaction score
I'll answer some that I can.

1) Antenna has poor gain for almost all when compared to other phones. However it has not been proven that this is actually a defect or a result of a poor radio since ICS is supposedly the first and only OS to report true LTE signal strength. You can do a search on this issue, update to the new leaked radios seemed to help some people, but it may be a false sense of an upgrade.
2) don't use text to speech
3) Skype works for me
4) most phones have volume set up this way, there are apps to correct this. Otherwise volume can be changed when it is actually being used.
5) kinda confused, just type in the correct address???
6)removing from recent list does NOT remove from memory.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

Thank you Art. I appreciate your help and answers. Regarding...

1) I ignore the visual indicators. Instead I am just making an observation that signal strength in various parts of my home is far weaker than on my Blackberry or laptop in the same location, measured only as a function of observation in...for example...opening Facebook. using Wi-Fi analyzer on either my laptop or on the Galaxy Nexus, I can see wi-fi signal strength. For a given location and signal strength at that location, my BB or laptop is able to receive just fine. The Galaxy Nexus just spins, not ever able to load the page. If I still had access to the right equipment I could quickly create an antenna gain pattern for the GN and I suspect it would be very poor. But there are folks out there who have this equipment and could provide objective data independent of Samsung. And I am confident that the result won't be a software issue of not displaying signal strength accurately.

2) I am impressed with how accurate current technology is in this arena. I just wish it were as strong and reliable on the GN.

3) It would obviously be best to be able to use what "the group" is already using instead of having to add or switch to a different app. But you're right. At least there is one that can be used.

5) I was guided to an address to the wrong location. So I just need to investigate to find out what procedure is used to inform Google (or at least my own device) that a given address's location is really "here."

6) Thank you. I now see that there is at least one app that lets you kill apps in memory. A support person tried to tell me that it doesn't matter in ICS but couldn't explain his logic. I need to research this more.

OP
F
Reaction score
In your article, issue 1, you can force a check for new email, with some types. You are looking to push email. What email type are you looking to push?

User Manual is here...
galaxynexus_manual (1).pdf

Thanks Nubby. In my case I have 5 POP accounts plus a gmail account on my GN. It is set to pop for new email every 5 minutes. But occasionally it seems to stop working (stop doing the timed checks). So I need to figure out why it stops...though it's now been awhile since I've had that problem. And meanwhile I've wondered if there is a way to simply do the F9 equivalent of Outlook.

Thank you for the alternate location for a GN user manual. I just found it "interesting" that you have to be signed out in order to get to it on Verizionwireless.com.