Memory issue in ICS-upgraded Droid Razr??

infantrytrophy

Reaction score
In the Engadget review of the HSPA+ version of the Galaxy Nexus (see link below), the reviewer makes the following comments:

“...Honeycomb and ICS use a new file system. They cannot support USB mass storage on internal storage. You can only have USB mass storage with removable media. You have to use MTP or PTP to transfer media content to and from the device ...”

I infer from these comments that the new ICS operating system will handle internal memory and removable memory differently. This might be one reason why the GN has 32 GB of internal memory and no removable memory. The Droid Razr also has a total of 32 GB of memory, but unlike the GN, the memory is divided between 16 GB of internal memory and 16 GB of removable memory.

Is there someone knowledgeable in this area who can shed any light on this? Do you anticipate any problem with upgrading to the new ICS operating system, and will your upgraded device be limited to using only the 16 GB of internal memory? Will the removable memory be unavailable for use by the ICS operating system? Would the lack of support for USB mass storage on internal memory impose any significant limitations on a Droid Razr that has been upgraded to ICS?

I am strongly considering buying a Droid Razr in the next couple of days, with the intent to upgrade to ICS when available. If I knew for sure that the device would be forever limited to 16 GB of memory after the ICS upgrade, this might change my decision.

Link to Engadget review:
Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ review -- Engadget

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, all of the memory (internal and external) shows up as one huge partition. In other words, in the case of a Razr with 16GB internal/16GB of removeable; you would just end up with 32GB of memory. Not 100% sure though.

shameronsho

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, all of the memory (internal and external) shows up as one huge partition. In other words, in the case of a Razr with 16GB internal/16GB of removeable; you would just end up with 32GB of memory. Not 100% sure though.

It would have to be separate. If some of the OS was installed on internal memory and some on removable memory, if you ever took out your SD card you would have big problems. If you go into settings and look at storage it shows internal memory separate from removable.