Droid 3 Memory Question

Hot Sauce

Reaction score
First, I've had my D3 for two weeks now, came from a D1, what an awesome upgrade, not even worried about no 4G since my area doesnt have it. My question is about the memory, under storage I'm showing Application storage at 1.44 GB, Internal Storage at 11.17 available after I moved what apps I could to media area. which area does the 512 MB of RAM fall under? Is it included in the Application storage? if someone knows the answer to this can you just give me an example of what memory is partitioned off for what what usage? ex 1.44 GB of application storage means 1.44 total but subtract 512MB for RAM and the rest if available for apps? does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks in advance

Sauce

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ram is completely separate from storage. Also a different kind of memory. The ram is where the OS temporarily stores system and app information for fast retrieval. Not for app or data storage. Ram also come in different forms. You'll see things like ddr or ddr2 ram. They also come with different clock speeds, hence a higher clock speed of the ram refers to a faster movement of information through the ram just like a processor. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Don't move the apps top the media area unless you run out of space in the apps partition. That advice comes from a motorola rep from the motorola forums...

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
Don't move the apps top the media area unless you run out of space in the apps partition. That advice comes from a motorola rep from the motorola forums...

Guys...thanks for posting all of this...just switched from a D1 and had no idea what 'media area' is. I learned a lot in this short thread.

LT*

Reaction score

I wonder why. Did he give any reason?

snowman

Reaction score
I'm on a D1 does the 3 do 3G ? why would you not worry about this?
I'm thinking about upgrading but don't want a better one to come out in 2 months?
I'm in a county area that probably won't have 4 G for a while

Reaction score
I wonder why. Did he give any reason?

Running apps from sd cards takes up more power, time(has to go through another drive controller), and some apps lose functions/features when on an sd card(widgets). Since internal memory is alway initialized and closer to the mainboard by another chip it runs better/faster.

Edit: The Droid 1, 2, 2global, 3 were all 3g phones. I don't understand what your issue is. (referencing post before mine)there will always be a new phone that will be slightly better in a couple months, that's how technology works.

-Saik0

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
yepthere willalways be a better newer one thats true,
thanks for reply as to 3g or not that helps a bunch, I appreciate it