MAJOR ISSUES with NEXUS...on second device in 36 hours! ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!

punkee75

Reaction score
After waiting over a month for the NEXUS to get released and the endless rumor dates, I gave up and got the RAZR...which, for the record, is AN AMAZING PHONE! So, you ask, 'why did you switch then?' well, the larger screen of the NEXUS and the curiousity factor of the OS: ICS got the best of me: GUILTY!
After spending the entire first night setting up the NEXUS to my liking, it crashed: just went out; no warning; black screened on me and wouldn't turn back on...after taking the battery out 3 times, it finally turned back on BUT for the first couple minutes it had a wierd screen; almost like a 'programming' screen would look on a computer. Then, after a bit it rebooted & was back to what appeared to be 'normal'...but, when I woke up that morning, the screens were all scrambled! ... With high hopes it was just a 'dud', I brought it back to verizon and changed it out for a new device. ... Now, I can't get "My Motospeak" to work: i've installed and uninstalled it 5 times; it downloads fine but then when it tries to open I get an error message saying "unfortunately MY MOTOSPEAK has stopped" and I can choose "ok" or "report"... so, I need advice on a "SPEECH TO TEXT & TEXT READER" app that will work for my "Droid CommanderOne bluetooth headset"...luckily I can make calls verbally and I do receive a voice report of whos calling me and can use the "answer/ignore" feature without an app (which is great) but I need a compatible "SPEECH TO TEXT & TEXT READER" app...SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED IMMENSLEY!:biggrin: ....
Has anyone else experienced any major issues like the NEXUS randomly shutting down? OH! AND THE SIGNAL SERVICE INDICATOR says I am with 0-1 bars in my house, where with the RAZR I had 3-4 bars at all times..BUT, I'm not losing calls and ppl can hear me okay, for the most part...it's almost like the signal indicator in the notification bar is wrong??? ... Battery life is also not so great...can't go a full day without a charge ...
FEARFUL CONCLUSION: I was one of those who fell 'victim' to the THUNDERBOLT disaster; verizons 1st "4G" phone: terrible battery life; horrible signal/service...etc, etc.... I am hopeful I'm not reliving a "verizon's firsts disaster" again! (First ICS:OS phone)... we all know the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on...." well, we know how that ends...gotta try to keep SOME of my pride here! lol
ADDENDUM: I DID already receive the 'software update' that prompts within minutes of activating the phone...so that 'possible solution' is off the table:/

pool_shark

Reaction score
Not all apps are ready for ICS, that could be problem #1. I installed light flow and told it to control the LED and from there my screen would only show for less than a second, but it was on because the buttons vibrated .

For voice to text, thats part of Android you don't need an app for that, just hit the mic on the keyboard.

For reading my messages to me I use "enhanced sms and caller ID".

luckybadback

Reaction score
Sounds like there was very little regression testing done with this phone. Just as an fyi, regression testing is the lay stage of testing during development and what is done during this phase of testing is all functions that worked with the previous version of the OS are tested on the new version. They then create a list of problems known as a defect report and go thru and fix each item and retest. This is time consuming and very mundane and is usually a job responsibility of a junior QA analyst. With so much hype and expectations this testing should have been done more thoroughly. There are far to many different issues with basic functions. I would also expect there will be a lot of apps that will not be compatible for a couple months. By mid March the OS should stabilize...

Sent from my HTC Rezound...

OP
P

punkee75

Reaction score
Re: "enhanced sms & caller id" app

Pool Shark- I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU! Your suggestion for the solution to my 'text to speech' issue with my bluetooth was A SUCCESS! "E.CID" works AWESOME!
The next issue I came into after downloading that app, was my bluetooth volume, only for the SMS reading, was wicked low! Even though it was all the way up and it was fine when it reported the name of a caller when I received calls...I found this odd; but I've learned to not be too surprised by 'odd' things with new OS...it's all about 'trial & error' a lot of times, right? lol ... so with this remaining issue, in addition to one other that I was determined to find an app to fix: poor signal service in areas other phones have always had fantastic service, I wanted to share with you two VERY SUCCESSFUL APPS that I've found:
Volume control: all things from bluetooth headset volume to ringtone volume to media playing: AUDIO MANAGER PRO by Smart Android Apps LLC: cost a few dollars BUT SOOOOOO- WORTH IT!
:icon_ lala:
Poor Signal
: as I mentioned, my signal reception has been significantly less comparatively to my husbands Droid X & the Razr (when I had that be4 the NEXUS...for all of 2 weeks...loved the phone but couldn't resist the nexus once it was released...still not sure if I regret the change...hoping I won't in time:/) ... the app that works great AND is ICS compatible as well, is: FRESH NETWORK PRO by McStealth.
:icon_ banana:
Now if only I can get the battery to live longer on a single charge, I will be a VERY VERY happy camper! This shall be my final mission to perfecting my NEXUS...although it may end in get the 'extended battery'...we shall see! :p:biggrin:

OP
P

punkee75

Reaction score
Luckybadback: Just wanted to say 'thank you' for the detailed info about how things 'work' in this crazy world of smartphones! I appreciate the info! :biggrin:

Vanitas

Reaction score
Now if only I can get the battery to live longer on a single charge, I will be a VERY VERY happy camper! This shall be my final mission to perfecting my NEXUS...although it may end in get the 'extended battery'...we shall see! :p:biggrin:

Try getting the app 2x Battery. My phone lasts with the normal battery about 26 hours before needing to charge on normal use.

luckybadback

Reaction score
Luckybadback: Just wanted to say 'thank you' for the detailed info about how things 'work' in this crazy world of smartphones! I appreciate the info! :biggrin:

No problem. I am glad I was able to help someone. I have been helped out and learned so much from the forums I am happy to give back a little bit...Cheers