SETTINGS for your Android on a Cruise Ship [To Avoid Charges?]

ipawd1

Reaction score
...My friend told me if I just put the phone on Airplane mode, I wouldn't have a problem using the wifi available on the cruise ship (Carnival) and I would not incur a cost...

However I wanted to ask you all to make SURE this was legit...

Is it?:motdroidhoriz:

droid d'oh

Reaction score
That's all you have to do. After a quick search I didn't find any apps or hacks that can disable the network radio locally, so just keep it in airplane mode and the Droid should stay off the network just fine.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yup that works....

If I even took it with me on a cruise...it would be in the suitcase with the battery out.

howzball

Reaction score
Yup that works....

If I even took it with me on a cruise...it would be in the suitcase with the battery out.

Sort of negates the reasoning behind even owning a smart phone. It's a handy device to have on vacation even without making calls.

OP
ipawd1

ipawd1

Reaction score
yeah, just to be safer than sorry, I called Verizon, and they have some sort of International Data Plan where you can get emails and web browsing for 64.99 prorate ($14.68 on a 7 day cruise like myself) so I took that option as well. I looked online for Carnivals wifi prices...NOT a good look...smh. $150 for like 120 minutes.

bje1982

Reaction score
yeah, just to be safer than sorry, I called Verizon, and they have some sort of International Data Plan where you can get emails and web browsing for 64.99 prorate ($14.68 on a 7 day cruise like myself) so I took that option as well. I looked online for Carnivals wifi prices...NOT a good look...smh. $150 for like 120 minutes.

Most cruise ships own there own celll towers and charge there own fees just to let you know you should check with the ship if youll be making calls. You might get a value plan from Verizon but that wont stop the ship from charging crazy amounts..

kristoff125

Reaction score
how about just enjoying the cruise? A vacation is a vacation for a reason.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yup that works....

Sort of negates the reasoning behind even owning a smart phone. It's a handy device to have on vacation even without making calls.

Last thing I have on vacation is a cell or laptop.....I'm there to enjoy myself and relax.

howzball

Reaction score
Yup that works....

Last thing I have on vacation is a cell or laptop.....I'm there to enjoy myself and relax.

True but, reading Kindle books, listening to music or watching videos, taking photos etc., not really taking away from time off. It really is more than just a cell phone believe it or not.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
just turn it to the OFF setting....

Yup that works....

yeah, I agree on that point in general... as in, within the continental US. international and cruises changes the rules a little, and hence, changes if you really need all the extras.

FootballRef

Reaction score
When and where you going? I will be on Carnival Legend Sept. 5-12

I think I will take mine so that I have it while I am in the airports. I will have to charge it as some point, so I guess it will go into airplane mode to charge so that it is working once we port back in the states.

OP
ipawd1

ipawd1

Reaction score
i need my phone mainly for the apps I'd be using, no phone at all, and web browsing to move money over in accounts when I get paid (when I get on the ship)

rp683

Reaction score

Most cruise ships own there own celll towers and charge there own fees just to let you know you should check with the ship if youll be making calls. You might get a value plan from Verizon but that wont stop the ship from charging crazy amounts..

How could the cruise ship charge ME? How can they determine if a particular phone going through their tower belongs to me? I would imagine that the call would either go through or not.

I'm going on a cruise to Bermuda soon and I called Verizon to ask, they told me that you have to enable "international calling" on your phone (no charge unless you use it) and calls would be $1.99 a minute. A side note, that information from Verizon applies to when I'm in Bermuda, I didn't ask if that applies when I was on the cruise ship, I should call back, LOL

They also told me about the International data plan as well, they suggested I enable it before the cruise and then take it off my plan after I get back, a good option for roughly 15 bucks.

dard12

Reaction score
I just got back from a Carnival cruise. Carnival Conquest, and let me tell you I had a blast. Just put your phone on Airplane, put it in your personal locker in your room, and just forget about your phone. There are so many things to do on the ship that you wont even have time to think about using your phone.

Although on the last 2 days I took my phone to go take some pictures around the ship and of the water, there is no reason to tug your phone around everywhere when there is limitless amounts of things to do.

Also, taking it out on one of the stops(Cozumel, Jamaica, etc.) is just adding one more possible item to lose and get stolen.

29773_10150211228355537_751955536_12672617_7761709_n.jpg
29773_10150211228435537_751955536_12672624_649289_n.jpg
29773_10150211228465537_751955536_12672626_8106137_n.jpg
29773_10150211228525537_751955536_12672632_8066457_n.jpg
29773_10150211228535537_751955536_12672634_1522955_n.jpg

(These were all taken with my Droid)

Added some picture just to show you what you're about to encounter.

Have fun. Lots of it.

Edit:

I also took my phone in the bathroom when I'd be in there for a while. PapiJump all the way.

P.S.S WiFi is a ridiculous price, and I would not rely on using that at all.

Last edited: