Avoiding Data Charges While Roaming

Droidanne3

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Canada and wanted to know how to avoid roaming data charges. If I turn on wifi (and am in a wifi hot zone) can I check email, access the internet and use gps without incurring roaming data charges?

I am assuming wifi doesn't work in airplane mode. Is there a way to turn off phone calls but still use wifi?

nphil

Reaction score
You can use WiFi in airplane mode. Just turn on airplane mode first, then switch on wifi from settings or the power widget.

OP
D

Droidanne3

Reaction score
Great, so that would block phone calls and allow me to check my email, etc. without roaming charges?

MrTommy

Reaction score
Boy, I could be talking through my "you know what" here, but it would seem to me that if you're using the 3G network, you're still using the phone network and any roaming charges that would apply for calls would apply to using 3G.

If you can access a WiFi hotspot, that would be no problem.

Simplest thing would probably be to call Verizon...

Mateles

Reaction score
Boy, I could be talking through my "you know what" here, but it would seem to me that if you're using the 3G network, you're still using the phone network and any roaming charges that would apply for calls would apply to using 3G.

If you can access a WiFi hotspot, that would be no problem.

Simplest thing would probably be to call Verizon...

Sorry, but I think you may be. With airplane mode, you're not on 3G (but you can be on WiFi if you turn that on after enabling airplane mode).

MrTommy

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right Mateles. By the time I read the thread, I'd forgotten we were in "airplane mode".

.....Hence, speaking from other than my mouth. :wacko:

modette

Reaction score
^^^ Canada has a face?

I thought VZ could block roaming if you ask them to!!! Thus no roaming charges. I have no Idea what the roaming cost in Canada, but in the Dominican Republic is was not all that bad the times I used my phone to call the wife. Just don't spend hours.... :)