Using Droid Incredible in Canada

the3count2down1

Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting Canada (Toronto) this weekend and was hoping I could get some answers from someone with experience traveling to Canada with a smartphone to avoid ridiculous charges. Before I had a Droid, I texted back to the U.S. and was never charged. Will this be the same now that I have the smartphone?
To avoid data charges I plan on disabling data roaming, turning off the mobile network option, and turning off auto-sync and background data. Will this be enough to avoid data charges? I've also heard of putting your phone into airplane mode.
Now, assuming this will prevent me from being charged and I can keep my phone on, will I still be able to use WiFi for free when I get to an open spot?

The Verizon Wireless site doesn't seem to be much help. I'm sorry, I know you guys probably get this question a lot :/

Abadus

Reaction score
I have the OG droid not sure if it is the same but I just unchecked data roaming. While in Canada I didn't have any data. I was not charged anything. I did not have to turn off any syncs because the phone wouldn't pull data from a roaming network.

On that note this weekend I drove home from N. Carolina. With navigation going it works just fine and caches the whole trip so once I got into roaming my Pandora would stop but navigation worked fine. The map was just sometimes not perfectly clear. Pandora would start back up once I was done roaming.