Verizon Data Roaming

Yodes

Reaction score
Ok sorry if tghis has been covered but I'm trying to find this answer ASAP to try and avoid a potential huge data charge. I'm taking my first big roadtrip with the Droid. I noticed at one point I lost my data connection and was only getting 1X. I found that if I checked "enable data roaming" under options I get my 3G back. I'm afraid though that I'm going to get slammed with a huge data charge if I keep it on. Does my unlimited data work nationwide?

I'm confused though because I thought that option was for getting data in canada and mexico. Thanks in advance for the replies!

kaboyd

Reaction score
I would call VZW to verify, but I occasionally get a roaming notification on my Droid when i loose 3G connection and get it back. I have never recieved any extra charges for data roaming in the U.S.

PsychoDroid

Reaction score
I wondered about that, too. I recently went on a trip and we went deep sea fishing. I noticed at one point, I was roaming with my data. I switched it to airplane mode so I could still take pics. We were too far off shore to make phone calls anyway.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an older thread, but I found this while searching, while on the phone with a VZW rep. to confirm some of this.

There is a ranch we play at out of my home network. Without my Wilson booster, I have no signal, voice or 3g. While there this weekend for the first time with my Droid, I was able to get a voice signal (with my booster), but no 3g. I switched the phone settings to data roaming, and did pick up a 1x signal. Of course when switching to data roaming, I got the warning screen.

According the the VZW rep. I just spoke with, as I am on the National plan, I would not incur any data roaming additional charges. This is nowhere near the Canadian or Mexican border, and is supposed to be the case for inter(tra) United States. Of course he had to ask his supervisor for help, so I may play it safe the next time over there, and try it for a limited amount of time.

I have not found where this issue has been addressed in detail anywhere, and perhaps I am just a little paranoid from the old dumb phone voice roaming days.

Craig

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an older thread, but I found this while searching, while on the phone with a VZW rep. to confirm some of this.

There is a ranch we play at out of my home network. Without my Wilson booster, I have no signal, voice or 3g. While there this weekend for the first time with my Droid, I was able to get a voice signal (with my booster), but no 3g. I switched the phone settings to data roaming, and did pick up a 1x signal. Of course when switching to data roaming, I got the warning screen.

According the the VZW rep. I just spoke with, as I am on the National plan, I would not incur any data roaming additional charges. This is nowhere near the Canadian or Mexican border, and is supposed to be the case for inter(tra) United States. Of course he had to ask his supervisor for help, so I may play it safe the next time over there, and try it for a limited amount of time.

I have not found where this issue has been addressed in detail anywhere, and perhaps I am just a little paranoid from the old dumb phone voice roaming days.

Craig
Craig - I sat in a VZW Call Center for 2-1/2 years. As long as you're on an America's Choice Nationwide calling plan, you can be anywhere in the U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska and you will not get any additional roaming or data charges on your droid. If you have a dumbphone, and you use GetItNow and don't have a MB plan, then you're going to pay for that. But, I'm talking Droid data only - it's unlimited, it's anywhere you have a data connection available, in the U.S., you're fine.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Vulcan,

Thanks for the reply. I had 20 pages of search for "data roaming" and found a thread after I posted in this one where you confirmed being a rep. and confirmed the answer you just gave. Thanks a lot.

I live in a fairly remote area, and play in even more remote areas (by city standards) and the droid is my first smart phone. The VZW rep I spoke with was not terribly reassuring, basically saying he had never gotten that question before, and had no answer. I was reading the search threads here, while he was reading his tech. bulletins. He gave me a fairly weak response, basically saying that the data roaming warning was more of a technical/legal requirement, like Pandora's message. DF comes through again!!!

Thanks,

Craig

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vulcan,

Thanks for the reply. I had 20 pages of search for "data roaming" and found a thread after I posted in this one where you confirmed being a rep. and confirmed the answer you just gave. Thanks a lot.

I live in a fairly remote area, and play in even more remote areas (by city standards) and the droid is my first smart phone. The VZW rep I spoke with was not terribly reassuring, basically saying he had never gotten that question before, and had no answer. I was reading the search threads here, while he was reading his tech. bulletins. He gave me a fairly weak response, basically saying that the data roaming warning was more of a technical/legal requirement, like Pandora's message. DF comes through again!!!

Thanks,

Craig
Craig,

Unfortunately I can believe the response you got. Either it was one of the VZW "outsourced" call centers, or it was a rep who was fairly new, and maybe in the "transition" phase. Either way my hope is your call is randomly reviewed with the rep, because they will be extensively coached on this topic. If you happen to get a survey about the call, please be honest about it too and it will also prompt a review of the call.