Serious lagging issues with D3

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Noticed this about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks ago. Decided on a hard reset over the weekend.

Did the hard reset the first time and couldnt get the phone to connect to the network (it never prompted me for the call to activate the phone)

Reset it a second time. Got the screen for the call and set everything up. Now the phone is running slow. Only apps i have are Facebook, Handcent, Email notifier and my fitness pal.

Went through the built in task manager and setting>running services pages to check and see what was running. Added some stuff to the auto-end list like kindle, city ID and other useless crap. Closed out FB and cleared all the data.

The phone is still running slow. Wondering if something has gone bad or if i should attempt a 3rd hard reset.

please help and thanks in advance.

B

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Two suggestions:

-ditch the stock moto home launcher in favor of any alternative. Personally, I like GO Launcher EX
-remove ALL of the auto-end items from the task manager. City ID can be uninstalled if you end the trial period and then reboot. Do not worry about killing any stock bloat. If apps that you've installed are running on boot or in the background for no reason then uninstall them and find alternatives that performs correctly

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Two suggestions:

-ditch the stock moto home launcher in favor of any alternative. Personally, I like GO Launcher EX
-remove ALL of the auto-end items from the task manager. City ID can be uninstalled if you end the trial period and then reboot. Do not worry about killing any stock bloat. If apps that you've installed are running on boot or in the background for no reason then uninstall them and find alternatives that performs correctly

thanks a lot! i really like the go launcher EX. It seems to be running better.

will this effect my battery life a lot?

also would you know why you cant use the stock quick contacts widget? it lets me add it but puts it in the back ground to where i cant see it

B

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
did another hard reset. installed GO launcher EX. download apps such as email notifier, hancent and FB that is it. No auto-end on task manager.

phone is still slow and laggy.

any possibility this is a hardware issue?

B

NoBloatware

Reaction score
If you use a replacement launcher, the stock one no longer runs so it doesn't change battery life...although technically it could change battery life if it uses resources more or less efficiently...probably negligible.

Some widgets may not work on non-stock launchers unfortunately.

As for the lag, I would try adding apps one at a time to find the culprit. Does the phone lag right after a factory reset when nothing is installed except Go Launcher EX?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Quick contacts is a Blur launcher widget. It actually does work, you just can't see it. So if you added it, it is probably using some resources.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Quick contacts is a Blur launcher widget. It actually does work, you just can't see it. So if you added it, it is probably using some resources.

Right, it does this un-elegant thing in go launcher where it takes up space on a home screen but is invisible. You can actually long-press on the invisible area and drag the invisible widget to the trash. This isn't a fun quirk to deal with if you don't know about it, but other than that I love replacement launchers.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I don't expect widgets from other launchers to work.

It seems like a widget should just work on every launcher. Lots of widgets seem to work on every launcher. I wonder if Motorola designed the widgets to fail. Perhaps in the code it checks "if launcher does not equal blur crap then do not work". If so, they're jerks.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
It seems like a widget should just work on every launcher. Lots of widgets seem to work on every launcher. I wonder if Motorola designed the widgets to fail. Perhaps in the code it checks "if launcher does not equal blur crap then do not work". If so, they're jerks.

I guess I can see some argument for them doing something like this, but I'd bet they just aren't spending any of their time making sure it works on other Launchers.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
OK. ANOTHER hard reset.

Go launcher was all kinds of FAIL. it wouldnt let me restart or exit.

i was having the same lagging issues and i was having a hard time retaining 3G service which never happens where i am.

Anyway, back to stock everything and there is no lag. i will try go launcher again later in the day

B

Fr33dom

Reaction score
With so many resets and issues, I'd have to guess that something is sucking the life out of your phone. Probably some application. Are you syncing your apps when you reset?

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
With so many resets and issues, I'd have to guess that something is sucking the life out of your phone. Probably some application. Are you syncing your apps when you reset?

No i am not. made sure not to do that. I do click the back up option though.

The whole thing with go launcher was weird. Tried to exit out of it and it took me to the dial screen. couldnt go anywhere from there. hit the home button and it took me back to go launcher. WTF??

B

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I don't think you can exit from launchers. You use to be able to but no longer. One thing Go does have that could be tried is Clean Rubbish Data under the Advanced menu.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
I don't think you can exit from launchers. You use to be able to but no longer. One thing Go does have that could be tried is Clean Rubbish Data under the Advanced menu.

tried that. no good.

the phone seems to be better now. so im going to download GO when i get home and just use it and nothing else and see home it does

B