Serious Battery Drain...HELP!

Whitechapel

Reaction score
I just picked up and activated my Nexus on Saturday and got all my apps on it and set everything up. But my problem is last night I went to bed, my phone was at least at 75%, I woke up and it was completely dead. So I threw it on the charger before I left for work, got to work, and the phone has been on the charger all morning and the battery level is dropping. I was at 51%, and then after like 20 minutes I was at 48%, now it's been on the charger for about 30-45 minutes and it's only at 55%. Something is killing my battery and I don't know what. I checked Battery under Settings and nothing absurd is using up all the power, I set my apps to not sync constantly. I have the power control widget and the only thing enabled atm is data sync and the display is on the lowest setting. What the heck is going on with my battery life??

I do not get 4G in my apartment, I found an article on how to shut it off in Settings because it supposedly is a huge battery waster. I might just cancel 4G all together, I don't get it at work, I don't get it in my apartment, the only time would be if I was out of my apartment. I have a great download speed and router at home anyway. The only thing I could think of was that I left WiFi on all night, but to drain 3/4th of my battery in about 8 hours?? When I didn't touch it at all during the time? Also I only have icons on the main home screen. And I have 2 widgets: the power control one and a Beautiful Widget's 4 day weather forecast. Facebook/G+ have been set to sync only once in a while, I think Facebook is every 4 hours.

Also the phone has been on the charger since about 8:30AM this morning, and it's literally taken until 11 AM to charge from about 50% to 73% through the USB cable and my work computer. I understand USB charging takes longer but this is ridiculous, the phone is taking longer to charge than the use I get out of it! :)

Last edited:

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
Google + is a serious battery drainer. I would suggest disabling it unless it's being used. Are you stock or rooted?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Well, did you disable 4g? I am assuming you did. Unfortunately you can't cancel 4g if you have a 4g phone. And besides, it costs as much as 3g anyways, so you wouldn't gain much from canceling it if you could. I do not believe that WiFi would drain your battery that drastically either. Do you get good reception in your apartment? I know reception and signal issues are usually the biggest battery drainers. If you have bad reception and your phone is constantly losing and trying to regain service, it will put serious stress and drain on the battery.

More importantly, if you do use 4g, do you ever drop signal/data completely? When my first Nexus had that issue, my batter once went from 90% or so down to 10% sitting in my car for 4 hours while I was working. That was because it had serious reception issues and probably spent more than half of those 4 hours searching for or trying to regain service. My bet is on some kind of bad signal, as that seems to be one of the only things that would drain your battery so drastically.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you Facebook alot? Apps like that put a huge draw on a battery since they are always looking for updates. Also when you are charging at work, do you plug the phone into an actual charger or do you use a usb cable into a computer? There is a difference and the computer will be alot slower. Good luck with it!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
How does Google plus kill battery when its not open?

AdamDX

Reaction score
Get a new one. Defiantly not normal.

alboboy10

Reaction score
^^ OK. Sorry for trying to help.

I'm not saying it to be rude lol I'm just trying to understand. Cause it's not the first time I read that you should disable g+ I'm just wondering how it affects your battery if its not actually looking for anything.

captdroid

Reaction score
I'm not saying it to be rude lol I'm just trying to understand. Cause it's not the first time I read that you should disable g+ I'm just wondering how it affects your battery if its not actually looking for anything.

I use G+ for pictures upload / synced to my account with no battery drain problem at all.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I use G+ for pictures upload / synced to my account with no battery drain problem at all.

Yea cause I use it also and I don't leave my sync on.

Does beautiful widgets cause drain?

My android os is extremely high again and when I check my awake time its normal as usual. My CPU time seems high though. Its about a 1/3 of my android awake.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most apps and widgets should be set to pull data only when you ask for it rather than having it push data at set intervals. The constant communication between your phone and the app will cause a huge drain.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm or [APP] [10 Feb. - V1.6.1] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Android - xda-developers <-- try one of those. Those apps can be pretty helpful in tracking down the problem apps. Figure out which apps are power hungry, then try and figure out why, or get rid of the apps if you can live without them.

I saw someone somewhere who seemed to figure out that G+ had an issue with syncing some photos. It was trying to upload some file that was corrupt or didn't exist or something along those lines. He/she even posted some logs on bug reports for Google to see. I believe he had some folks that agreed with his findings, and had further testimonies backing up his findings. I didn't really read the thread, as if I remember right it was a rather long read and I realized I didn't care as I am not a G+ user hehe. If I see it again, I will try and remember to post it here.

OP
Whitechapel

Whitechapel

Reaction score
Just wanted to report in...I did a battery drain to 0% while I slept. Took an hour to charge up to 53% then I charged the rest at work. I'm now at 73% @ 9 hours in. 4G has been on but I shut off data sync since my reception at work is terrible unless I go outside.

I'll download the app you mentioned.

Last edited: