Nexus randomly dies, thinks it's dead even though it's not, then drains battery

nerdkill

Reaction score
So I'm having this super strange issue, here it goes.

I leave my Nexus in my car when I go to work and use my Bionic as a work phone. Nexus was fully charged except that I was using the audible app for about a half hour listening to a book on my way to work with the phone connected to the charger. Disconnected phone from everything and left it in the car. Get back 9 hours later, battery seems to be dead, plug in car charger. Then it wouldn't start until I charged it for about 5 minutes, finally starts shows 0% battery and then dies after being on for about a minute (car charger connected the entire time). So then I leave it connected for 5 minutes without trying to turn it on. Turn it on and it shows I have 40% battery left. So I start driving home, the only app I'm using is Audible, gtalk, and sms. With the car charger connected it's losing about 1% every two minutes. I look at my battery stats and the Android OS is using 75%?!

I'm attaching the screen shots, you can see where it dies completely and then comes back to life. FYI I'm using an extended battery and phone is stock. The most recent app I've installed was lightflow, but I disabled (from inside the app) and it was still draining the battery like crazy so I feel like that's not the problem. I really don't want to have to return the phone and hope it's not a hardware issue. What could cause the android os to go nuts like that?

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seems like something is running in the background. Turn off autosync and disable background data and see if that helps. Also go into settings, developer options and set background processes to 0.

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Mine was fully charged before I went to bed. I looked at it when I woke up and it had about 90% battery which I was happy about because the previous night it drained 40% and I had made changes like turning off wifi and autosync. Anyway, an hour later it had turned itself off so I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't come back on.

I thought, how did the battery go bad so fast?? So I tried recharging it and still no luck, it wouldn't power up and there wasn't even any visual that it was charging the battery. I checked on internet and they said to remove battery for 5 minutes and it should turn on again, tried that 4x during the evening but no luck.

This was on New Years' Eve so I couldn't take it to the store for a few days due to the holiday. In the meantime the battery completely drained itself. So today I figured I should charge it so Verizon could take a look at it. Now that it was 3 days later with a drained battery when I plugged it in, it finally was charging! It still didn't turn on for me but it did for the verizon guy.

When he opened he said, no wonder it was acting funny, you have the "Lookout" mobile security app on your phone. This causes nothing but trouble. So I immediately took it off since I have another "where's my droid" app anyway. I hope that works! Thought I'd share in case you may have an app that may be causing you problems.