More Battery Questions

NYMase

Reaction score
Is it better to let the battery run down to as close to zero as possible before charging? Should you charge your phone overnight while you sleep? Does that burn the battery out? If it only takes the phone an hour to charge, should you wait that hour then take it off the charger? Does it hurt the battery or burn the battery out by leaving it on the charger for hours after it is already fully charged?

So say my phone has 40% left at the end of the day...I put it on the charger and go to sleep...The phone is probably fully charged after an hour but sits on the charger for another 6 or 7 hours...Is that bad for my battery?

baldy54

Reaction score
The manual suggests not letting battery go below 70%

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's never good to allow the battery to go to 0 especially in the beginning. The optimal use is to have it charging when your not using it. You cannot overcharge it and it's good for the battery.

OP
N

NYMase

Reaction score

Wow, that's interesting...Thanks for letting me know

I didn't get a manual with my Nexus

OP
N

NYMase

Reaction score
It's never good to allow the battery to go to 0 especially in the beginning. The optimal use is to have it charging when your not using it. You cannot overcharge it and it's good for the battery.

Ok, thanks SSHGuru...Is that the same with all cell phones?

pilot25

Reaction score

So you have 30 minutes with the nexus before you have to plug it in. :frown:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Really?! I don't recall reading such a number, or any number regarding charge in the manual. I find that rather surprising. I can believe maybe 20%, but 70%, that's just 30min of google music using LTE.

I personally drop my down to 15% at most before I plug in the charger 25-30% is usually what I'm at the end of the day. Normally I charge my device in the late afternoon to have it fully charged for night time use, by this time I'm probably hovering around 50%. Only once have I found myself dip down to 4% and charged it immediately as soon as I got a charger. As for charging your phone overnight, it's fine, there's a "kill switch" that enables once the battery reads full and no current will go to the battery (your phone will run off the charger). I personally have mine plugged in most of the time at home and haven't noticed any drop in battery life, if that's more reassuring to you...

Your battery will never completely drain. There will always be a little juice left in it, but the OS will not let it reach the point of 0.

djras1

Reaction score
The LIon batteries do not have the "memory" effect that NiCad or NiMH batteries have.
My Prius has NiMH batteries and the charge controller works hard to maintain between 40% and 80% charge. They say this maximizes the NiMH battery life.