Extended Battery Charges for Hours

nahaluk

Reaction score
Hi, so I just got the phone through the Verizon pre-owned device deal and the first thing I did after buying it was to buy the extended battery. Few things here: it literally takes about four (4) hours to charge and it discharges for six to seven hours of moderate use. My previous phone was Droid X and it's extended battery would charge for an hour an a half, two the most, so figure that is not right, it shouldn't take so long to charge a battery. Should I ask Verizon to replaced with another? So how long is supposed to last the extended battery?

Also, is there other way to improve the overall battery life, besides rooting it? I have a app for monitoring the consumption and the biggest offender is the the screen, even when the phone is idle. I really like the phone, how fast it is, the prettiness of the screen, the new Jellybean, BUT I have no idea what the rooting actually does, beside allowing you to uninstall pre-loaded apps.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Are you using the original cable and wall adapter to charge it?

The battery life is impossible to judge. There are literally thousands of different things that can impact your battery life, all of which can differ from person to person. Signal strength, radios used, apps running, settings used, usage pattern, and many many other things could potentially come into play here. I recommend using something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm <-- that to figure out what is draining your battery.

mattjenn

Reaction score
My galaxy nexus with extended battery gets 6-8 hrs moderate to heavy use it takes at max 1 1/2 hrs to charge full from dead to 100% make sure you use official Samsung. Charger after market ones often take a lot longer to charge I have learned my lesson with those you get what you pay for

OP
N

nahaluk

Reaction score
I got the battery from Verizon, so it should be OEM and I mostly use the cable that came with the phone, except when I charge in the car. I use GSam battery monitor and according to the app the biggest energy eater is the screen. But puzzle me the most is why I lose energy at night when the phone is on night schedule and all the functions are kept to the bare minimum?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I got the battery from Verizon, so it should be OEM and I mostly use the cable that came with the phone, except when I charge in the car. I use GSam battery monitor and according to the app the biggest energy eater is the screen. But puzzle me the most is why I lose energy at night when the phone is on night schedule and all the functions are kept to the bare minimum?

Are you plugging into a wall or a PC to charge?

What sort of brightness settings are you using? How long is your screen on?

At night, what does GSAM is your drinking your battery?

OP
N

nahaluk

Reaction score
I never charge through the pc, because it takes forever, the brightness is 20/25 percent and the app says that the screen consumes a ton of energy just by being dark. Odd. Depending on what I'm doing the other drainers are the browser or the system.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What is the mAh of the battery? What is the mAh output of the charger? If you know the two, we can figure out how long it should take given the State of Charge at the start.

It will take approximately 1.25 times the battery's capacity in mAh to fully charge (to 100%) from fully discharged (0%). For example, the battery in the RAZR MAXX is 3,300mAh, and the charger puts out 750mAh. According to the manufacturer it should take 5.5 hours from fully discharged to fully charged, so 750 X 5.5 = 4125 / 3300 = 1.25. The same rule should apply for the typical battery as long as you are charging to 100%. For example, the Droid RAZR has a 1,780mAh battery and it uses the same charger, and the manufacturer says it will take 3 hours. In that example, 750 X 3 = 2250 / 1780 = 1.264, or about 1.25 times.

So reversing that calculation, if you have a charger that puts out 800mAh, and a battery that's 2500mAh, 2500 X 1.25 = 3125... That's the amount of total current spent to charge from 0% to 100%. 3125 / 800 = 3.9, so based on that calculation, it should take about 3.9 hours to fully charge a 2500mAh battery from 0% to 100% with an 800mAh charger.

Using a higher output charger may decrease the time it takes to get from 0% to about 90%, but will take longer to get from 90% to 100%, and overall will take about the same time. So using a rapid charger is only useful if you are NOT going to charge to 100%, but want a fast boost, let's say from 20% to 80% for instance. It will cut down the time getting from discharged to 90% of fully charged.

If the battery is starting with 20%, then reduce the factor of 1.25 by 20%, or 1, so then in the last example above, charging that 2500mAh battery from 20% to 100% should take 3.125 hours (2500 X 1 = 2500 / 800 = 3.125). This formula will begin to increase in error factor as you increase the State of Charge from the start, so starting at 50%, and charging to 100% should take LONGER than half of 3.9 hours, since the last 10% of the charge is done at a much slower rate and so takes longer, placing heavier weighting to the charge time.

Clarification; This calculation above also assumes you are charging with power OFF. With power ON, all calculations are completely arbitrary, since the device will use different amounts of power based on what is installed, what is running in the background, how much memory is used, if the display is on, what intensity the display is set to, if the WIFI or Bluetooth radios are on, if GPS is on, if it's on 3G or 4G, and countless other variables.

It is quite common to be using the car adapter, having the phone plugged into the adapter, running Navigation with GPS on, the display on, and with Bluetooth and 3G or 4G on and to have it actually DISCHARGE, rather than charge over time. The less the phone is consuming, the more power the charger has to put toward the battery. The phone's Parasitic Load will both impede the charging and screw up the metering circuits, possibly fooling the phone into thinking the battery is charged when it's still a way to go.

OP
N

nahaluk

Reaction score
Okay, thank you. With all the math it make sense to take hours to charge.
The phone is such an energy beast and amuses me with the speed it loses it.

S

shooting

Hi, so I just got the phone through the Verizon pre-owned device deal and the first thing I did after buying it was to buy the extended battery. Few things here: it literally takes about four (4) hours to charge and it discharges for six to seven hours of moderate use. My previous phone was Droid X and it's extended battery would charge for an hour an a half, two the most, so figure that is not right, it shouldn't take so long to charge a battery. Should I ask Verizon to replaced with another? So how long is supposed to last the extended battery?

Also, is there other way to improve the overall battery life, besides rooting it? I have a app for monitoring the consumption and the biggest offender is the the screen, even when the phone is idle. I really like the phone, how fast it is, the prettiness of the screen, the new Jellybean, BUT I have no idea what the rooting actually does, beside allowing you to uninstall pre-loaded apps.

Soma ways to prolong the battery life: 1. Use the private jack; 2. Turn off you phone when charging it. 3. Please charge the li-ion battery before it's used up.