Sending Google Maps to Garmin GPS

rjhawtho

Reaction score
I've got a Garmin Nuvi 265wt which can connect to my DX via bluetooth so that I can use the Garmin as a speakerphone for calls in the car. What I want to know is if there is some way I can look an address on Google Maps and send it to the Garmin via bluetooth so I don't have to manually type in the address in the Garmin... I guess I'm just really lazy...

-rjh

bicycleray

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Garmin bluetooth is only a hands free system and not a functioning data device. I don't believe there is a way to unlock Garmin GPS units. Sorry man.

huff

Reaction score
I think this would be a really handy feature. Are there any GPS devices out there that allow you to look an address on Google Maps (on mobile device) and send it to the unit, via bluetoot......

either garmin, tomtom, or other......

Technoman

Reaction score
I think this would be a really handy feature. Are there any GPS devices out there that allow you to look an address on Google Maps (on mobile device) and send it to the unit, via bluetoot......

either garmin, tomtom, or other......

Why not just use the navigation within Google Maps on your phone?

OP
R

rjhawtho

Reaction score
I would think since the Garmin can receive contact info via bluetooth, one could logically conclude that it would be able to receive GPS info via bluetooth as well. There's got to be SOME way to do it. Why would it be able to receive only contact data but not map/GPS data?

@Techno, I just want to use the Gamin in my car solely for GPS b/c the DX battery gets killed when the GPS is turned on with the navigation program.

-rjh

huff

Reaction score
in my opinion, standalone GPS's have a lont of nice features: good car mount, better traffic info, better bat/car charger, off line mode (no internet for maps), good navigation, and more. However searching for an address or trying to find something, like hotel or bar, where you do not know the exact name sucks!!

Although smart phones are getting better I think it would be really nice to search on phone and send to GPS for nav.

GPS manufacturers have to have thought of this use case?

qman66

Reaction score
I think gps devices r slowly dying. To me there's no point of one anymore when google navigation gives u better navigation anyways.

billy345

Reaction score
I have a garmin nuvi 855t and I just tell it the address and it will search any poi in the area. I can say resturant and say what kind of food and it pulls up all the area resturants. It shows any business of any kind and I hti send and it to my driod x with bt.