Selling unlimited data plan

gohoosiers

Reaction score
On another thread, I saw someone stating that unlimited data plans could be sold and transferred to someone else

I found someone there who is looking to buy an unlimited plan, but told him I wanted to keep my number. He explained the process as:

"You need to go through google voice and port your number over to them. In the meantime you would need to call verizon and tell them that you don't want to lose that plan(just change the number on it) if you know what I mean. I know it sounds confusing. But your literally porting your number out to google voice and then calling Verizon telling them on your unlimited line you just want to change your number
And after that you will need to call and tell them I'm assuming that line."

Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Are you saying VZ will just change the account ownership based on a phone call? Sounds strange to me.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Are you saying VZ will just change the account ownership based on a phone call? Sounds strange to me.

actually, they will.
as long as you are an admin (or whatever they call it) on the acct.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I worked for VZW and can tell you that it is called an "AOL" or "Assumption Of Liability". As for the methods for keeping your number, I'd have to sit down and think about it. If you call VZW, they will know exactly what a AOL is.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
From a business standpoint, VZ must know what's going on. I'm surprised they would allow it.

OP
G

gohoosiers

Reaction score
actually, they will. as long as you are an admin (or whatever they call it) on the acct.
Will they change ownership on the line with the unlimited data plan only? I have 5 lines on my account and don't want the others to be affected.

Danvee

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the only concrete and binding answer will come from VZW.
Have you contacted them?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I sold my old unlimited account. I never looked in to keeping my old number though, it didn't matter to me. I do think it's possible though!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't think keeping your number was possible. I thought about this a while back as a way to get all my texts to go thru GV, but a number change (which is what you are doing porting your current number) is a plan change = no more unlimited.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I didn't think keeping your number was possible. I thought about this a while back as a way to get all my texts to go thru GV, but a number change (which is what you are doing porting your current number) is a plan change = no more unlimited.
That's not true.

Sent from my LG-VS980

OP
G

gohoosiers

Reaction score
From wearing my old VZW hat, if the number ports out, poof. If in contract, ETF, if not in contract, the line is cancelled.
Now that I think about it, I recall that when I moved 14 years ago and inquired about getting a new number, the Verizon rep advised me to keep my old number because I was on such a good plan at the time and that he wouldn't be able to match it.