Another Unlimited Data Question

JRParsons

Reaction score
I have 2 unlimited lines, mine and my wife's. I want to get my daughter a smart phone. I know I can get her a subsidized phone w/2gb, 4gb etc. But this is what I want to do: My wife uses less than .25gb per billing cycle, so I would like her to be limited to 2gb and give my daughter one of the unlimited lines. Now the tricky part, my wife doesn't want to have a new phone number, which is understandable since she has had it for more than 10 years. So I would like to add a tiered line and give it my wife's phone number and give one of my unlimited lines the new phone number. I already went to a corporate store and was told I couldn't do it, but the guy who told me didn't seem to knowledgeable and I think I confused him. He did tell me that the share everything plan was available, which really didn't answer my question. When I pressed him, and asked if he was absolutely sure I couldn't do what I wanted he said yes, Verizon is trying to get rid of the unlimited plans. If he is correct then my daughter will just have to stay under 2gb (or maybe 4 if she is willing to do more cleaning around the house)

If somebody has experience with this or knows the answer, let me know and I will go back and press until someone at the store is willing to do it. Thanks

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Problem is the unlimited data plan cannot be added. It can only be removed. So, once you add a new line that line has to be tiered. They can't swap plans around from line to line. I know this because I used to work at Verizon. So many people have tried to do this and couldn't.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

rda990

Reaction score
I understand what you're trying to do. But no it's not possible =/. Only thing close enough that you could do is give your wife a new number and your daughter gets your wifes number with the unlimited on it, but you already said your wife doesn't want a new number.

It's sad that Verizon is trying to get rid of people who are grandfathered on unlimited, a rep is always trying to push me on to the Shared everything plans when I call in.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This is what you do. Go sign your daughter up for whatever plan you are looking at 2 or 4 GB. Get her whatever phone you plan on or whatever. Once you get home you can call vzw and tell them that you need to switch your wife's phone/number to the new plan and your daughters phone to the unlimited plan. That is the way folks have been it to get subsidized phones on unlimited plans.

Suggested from Beer Tent Capital of the World.

debrad0307

Reaction score
I would only suggest a tiered data plan to customers who use only like 2gb of data a month and have unlimited. The way I see it, if you have unlimited and you don't use it then what is the difference if you switch to a tiered plan.

OP
JRParsons

JRParsons

Reaction score
Thanks All, I'm going to try Miller's suggestion.

debrad0307

Reaction score
This is what you do. Go sign your daughter up for whatever plan you are looking at 2 or 4 GB. Get her whatever phone you plan on or whatever. Once you get home you can call vzw and tell them that you need to switch your wife's phone/number to the new plan and your daughters phone to the unlimited plan. That is the way folks have been it to get subsidized phones on unlimited plans.

It's not going to work. They won't allow it. And people are doing that by upgrading another line on their account and switching the phone to their line. He's trying to do something completely different here. He wants to swap data plans between 2 lines on his account. The only way that would work is if unlimited data was still offered.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
It's not going to work. They won't allow it. And people are doing that by upgrading another line on their account and switching the phone to their line. He's trying to do something completely different here. He wants to swap data plans between 2 lines on his account. The only way that would work is if unlimited data was still offered.

The way I see it is its his only option. He's planning on getting a new line regardless so it's worth a call. I think it depends on the rep. There is no real reason for them not to. Either way he still has a tiered phone and 2 unlimited lines. They could always transfer numbers also. Get the wife's line a new number then request the old one as a new number. There are ways just depends on how helpful/good the rep is.

OP
JRParsons

JRParsons

Reaction score
I can be pretty persuasive and I've been a customer for 20 years. If they don't do it I haven't lost anything. Again, thanks for the tips, I was hoping someone would say the rep was wrong but it appears that isn't the case. Now I have to talk my daughter out of an Iphone

crashN2u

Reaction score
I'll bet it isn't completely impossible. You just need to find the right person. Let me give you an example. Just bear with me to the end.

Everyone and their mother at Verizon swears up and down that it is impossible for a new customer to get unlimited data. It's no longer in the system so it can't be done. This is untrue, although, things may have changed since I last checked (about a year ago).

A new customer CAN get unlimited data if they take over a line. You would have to contact the Assumption of Liability Department at (888) 832-4540. Now, I'm not saying to do this in your case. The only reason I bring it up is because it proves that a new customer can come to Verizon, be entered into the system, and CAN get unlimited data even though it is no longer offered. You also get the ability to either port over an existing number, or get a new one. That however is a different process unrelated to the assumption of liability.

Again, I'm not saying this will fix your problem. It's merely pointing out that things can be done that everyone says can't.

How did I come across this info? I got married and my wife's family had a better plan than me. I was brought in. Later, my company offered a 25% discount through them for Verizon. This was after Verizon got rid of unlimited data. The process was laid out so that I would take over my line under my name. I would be made head of the account and everyone would be brought in under me. All numbers would be ported, plans would be kept the same (even though the options no longer existed), and I would receive a 25% discount on my bill.

Nothing is impossible if you talk to the right person in the right department.

davidwilp

Reaction score
Supposedly I am getting an upgrade and keeping unlimited. I called Verizon and was going to order a phone from them direct. I have a family share plan with me and my son both unlimited data and my wife has a old dumb phone. They said they can give me the S4 on her line, extend the contract for that phone and when I get it call them back and they will switch it to my number. I was told all pricing will remain the same and I will keep my unlimited data on my line. I went to the store to try and get the same thing and they said there is no way to do it.

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score
Hi folks- I've not been active on this forum in some time and have a vested interest in this topic, being a 20+ year Verizon (then Ma Bell) customer- I'm 2 years into my current phone and would like to upgrade-= and though I don't routinely use a lot of data- the thought of losing the option really rubs me the wrong way- not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread-but does having root on a phone affect the way Red reads one's data usage?

debrad0307

Reaction score
Hi folks- I've not been active on this forum in some time and have a vested interest in this topic, being a 20+ year Verizon (then Ma Bell) customer- I'm 2 years into my current phone and would like to upgrade-= and though I don't routinely use a lot of data- the thought of losing the option really rubs me the wrong way- not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread-but does having root on a phone affect the way Red reads one's data usage?

Not that I know of. I've never heard of it. I'm gonna do some research though.

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score
'nother ?

Not that I know of. I've never heard of it. I'm gonna do some research though.

Thank You for the reply ms. Deb... any help much appreciated. I actually have a couple questions (unlocked phones, etc.) not directly germane to this thread- may I pm ya? {beats my weak lil brain to hunt thru the m a n y pages here...}