Selling iPhone 4 and getting Droid X

cjvdh

Reaction score
I have been an iPhone user since 2007 when the original iPhone came out. I am sick and tired of AT&T and have heard such good things about Verizon and I have also never met an unhappy Verizon customer. So here I am :) my plans are simple. I am selling my iPhone 4 tomorrow and walking into Verizon and getting two phones one for me and one for my fiance. I have a few quick questions. My main concern is how will my droid hook up with my 21.5 iMac? Also what about my visual voicemail? I heard Verizon charges for this along with City ID which is like on my iPhone it shows where the phone call is from. I won't lie after being an iPhone person for so long I am a little skeptical about this but I am sick and tired of dropped calls and ****ty service with AT&T. Can someone please help me out?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They do charge for both. If I were a dedicated iPhone user, I would wait til January or February, when the iPhone is rumored to come to VZW.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and ill help get your questions answered!

1. Android powered devices do support Visual VoiceMail! Its 1.99$

2. CityID is also supported! 1.99$ again.

3. Yes! You can hook your Droid up to a Mac based OS via USB.

Any other quesions feel free to post here or PM me!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

onsht1kll

Reaction score
There is always a way to do something just a matter of how many steps .. your phone will sync with a mac u just need an app to do it .. there are visual voicemail apps that are free along with caller id apps that show city and state info .. so I wouldn't worry much about that .. just worry about the selections of phones since u get more than one choice lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
They do charge for both. If I were a dedicated iPhone user, I would wait til January or February, when the iPhone is rumored to come to VZW.
Doubt Verizon will be getting the iPhone that quick I am pretty sure Verizon has plans to roll out there new 4G LTE and then release the first iPhone on a 4G network. I am looking for something new and better and I would like to know can this phone deliver? Also I have been hearing that the battery sucks really bad on both the droid x and the droid 2. Can anyone confirm this? How do you verizon customers get your VM?

What's the best phone right now? My friend likes the Droid X and I have messed around with it and I really think I could get used to it.

Last edited:

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome I am a former BB storm user myself and you are in the right place for some help. If you ask the questions the community will try its best to answer. Don't be scared to ask questions though. It was a smooth transition for me thanks to the help of this community and a lil time spent with the D2. Hope you enjoy and I know you will be satisfied with less dropped calls and better quality service. Enjoy the stay

Sent from my D2

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doubt Verizon will be getting the iPhone that quick I am pretty sure Verizon has plans to roll out there new 4G LTE and then release the first iPhone on a 4G network. I am looking for something new and better and I would like to know can this phone deliver? Also I have been hearing that the battery sucks really bad on both the droid x and the droid 2. Can anyone confirm this? How do you verizon customers get your VM?

You're right, rumors are rumors, but I'd be willing to wait another month for solid information. LTE is currently being released in select markets.

Frankly, the standard battery on the DX and D2 are terrible. However, you can purchase an extended battery, and there are many tweaks you can make to better your experience. For the first couple weeks, when you're really messing with your phone, it's going to seem like the battery is dying within hours. However, after getting used to your new "toy," and you use it less, the battery will get better, as expected.

I can't answer anything regarding VM, as I use GV for everything.

The DX is a damn good phone. If I didn't need a physical keyboard, I would've purchased the DX, but went with the D2 instead. They are both awesome, with good support for both. I haven't regretted my D2 at all.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do want to say that if you use Google Voice (as mentioned above), it's free.

There are several apps that will give you City ID. Some are free and some cost about $1.99. But even then it's a one time fee, not per month.

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great help I am going to Verizon tomorrow. Does anyone here have a Mac that they hook up a Droid with? Also is the Droid X the best selection?

Also can I hook up two email accounts on the phone? 1 Gmail and 1 Exchange account(work)?

Dustin.

Reaction score
The battery life isn't that bad, however if you think its bad you can root your device and run a custom rom and get bettery performance and battery life. Or as stated a extended life battery. As for comparision, you can't compare the iphone to a droid x. Just not possible, Droid X annihilates every aspect of iphone in every way. Only difference is, iphone has facetime, as X does not. Markets better, cameras better, HDMI out, SD Card support and upgrades, fully open source OS so anyone can develope for it. Better processors, and better put together than the iphone.

Also I look at iphones as more as a cosmetic than a phone. My droid has been dropped numorous times and rolled down stairs etc, just a couple of scratches and a dent. No screen cracks or anything.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
I have a Mac and used to have an iPhone 4, now use the X because work pays for my phone and they use Verizon. It will work fine, not as easy to sync as an iPhone, but it will work.

migsheep

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great help I am going to Verizon tomorrow. Does anyone here have a Mac that they hook up a Droid with? Also is the Droid X the best selection?

Also can I hook up two email accounts on the phone? 1 Gmail and 1 Exchange account(work)?

I bought the Droid X about 2 months ago and have spent way too much time trying to correct problems with it... The connection to the MAC is pretty bad and I can't use it in the same way my iPhone worked with my MAC. Just transferring my music library was a really big hassle.

On the plus side I like the screen better, I like the speaker better since it is louder. The apps are ok but nothing special.

Given the choice again I might just stay with MAC and get the 4G.

YMMV

Mig

AlexSB

Reaction score
My cousin has an iPhone and he's thinking of making the switch and I'm recommending him go with the X (I have a Droid 2 myself), he's already used to not having a phsyical keyboard and he'll definitely like the larger screen.

The only 2 things that I see the iPhone beats out the droid in is their App store (although google has been stepping it up with the Market upgrade), and iPhone's onscreen keyboard is really user friendly. But I have a keyboard so im straight (as for the Droid X, if you don't like the onscreen keyboard you can always download different keyboards from the market and I hear gingerbread is making some slight improvements).

As for the battery life, I am looking into an extended battery myself but the battery life isn't THAT bad, once you think about all the battery has to handle. Hardware wise they are more powerful phones, and when you hear droid does they aren't lieing. Anything you could want a mobile device to do, they do. I got my D2 back September, and im still finding new ways to customize it and more things to make me glad I went with Android over any other platform.

OP
C

cjvdh

Reaction score
Ok so I got the Droid today and I am very frustrated! They could not get all of my contacts switched over on the droid because the iPhone uses a Microsim however I have all my contacts backed up via Mobile Me. Also another big problem I setup my facebook account on the droid and for some reason it put all those 600 some people I have as friends in my address book! I want this un done ASAP! Also can someone please help me get all of my contacts that I had on the iPhone onto my Droid?