Security For Your New Droid

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know that people are going to be very anxious about their new phones and everything but I did want to bring up a topic not many thing about. Security. Please install at least one of the free anti-virus apps that are available for the phone. There have been more and more articles coming up lately that state that people are starting to go after cell phones for private data now. I've heard them talking about ones that are on email attachments and other things, not to mention the docs you could just sync with it.

Please be careful.

Last edited:

ebean

Reaction score
i know it's a bit early, but does anyone know of one or two recommendations that rise to the top of the pack?

souljerr

Reaction score
Would be nice to see a site that compared the different security options. I'd be willing to pay for good virus protection. Last thing I'd want is to catch a virus and end up with a Droid brick.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll get one, but it's interesting that that's a worry for this device. I guess open source has open problems...or could

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll get one, but it's interesting that that's a worry for this device. I guess open source has open problems...or could

this is the concern for me too. i'll run some anti-virus until i know that it's not an issue. i haven't been using anything on my laptop for about a year now because viruses just aren't the same as what they used to be, and windows security catches what does get in... but i'll use something for a while at least...

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's not just this phone. It's all smart phones. Every smart phone runs on top of an operating system, but no matter what can be vulnerable to attack. (Until they create a super secure OS)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's not just this phone. It's all smart phones. Every smart phone runs on top of an operating system, but no matter what can be vulnerable to attack. (Until they create a super secure OS)

in 2 years plus ive never seen that on BB.

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Each operating system has to have one specifically tailored to it. As far as I know there haven't been any confirmed cases for BB's yet. (And if everyone is leaving rimm now anyways what's the point in creating one now lol.) But just like winmo, and iphone, they were built on prior platform models.. winmo based on windows, and iphone based on os x (or leopard, prolly the same damn thing). There have been virus's that are't "tailored" for winmo specifically but because it shares alot in common to windows, it does have the ability to cross over and still do damage to that phone. Same applies to apple, whether they really want to admit it, there have been virus's made for the mac, just none that have been unleashed upon it's undying fans.

With the popularity of smart phones becoming a major reality, crooks are starting to think of better ways of getting what they need out of you. What's the one thing you use almost everyday, a phone. Once you start getting used to doing banking, and checking your email, and all this other stuff from your phone it just makes them want to get something on your phone even more.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just don't do banking stuff from my phone. and it stays in my pocket, so no one can easily snag it. that has been my security solution for the past few year, and it hasn't failed me..

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once they start getting virus's and malware that can cross multiple systems, it will be a very very bad day.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
personally, i'm more worried about Z-Day.... yes, i have a zombie plan.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I think this should be stickied, I never thought about this but open source will proove to provide new hurdles for phone owners.

onejake

Reaction score
I haven't used any of the programs yet, but some of the programs in the marketplace are:
SecuritySuite by Droid Hunter Security (2 1/2 stars, 84 ratings)
Mobile Security by Flexillis (4 1/2 stars 411 ratings)

Both are free downloads.