Second Droid X - Carrier/No Carrier Question

Hyporea

Reaction score
Greetings!

Newbie here to both the Droid X and smart phones in general.

In 10 days I'm traveling to Thailand. My wife is currently working there. My intent is to buy a second Droid X (I have one) and give to her. Verizon is not out there as far as I know. Went to the Verizon stored yesterday and spoke to one person who was about to sell me a full retail Droid X. I got switched to another sales person who told me I can buy the phone but can't use it b/c it requires the Verizon network.

Wife tells me she can get it to work there in Thailand with the carriers there. It's an American company she works for, and the bosses all have some brand of smart phone -- iPhone, Milestone, etc. They tend to buy them in Hong Kong then get them to work in Thailand. I'm tempted to ignore the Verizon person and buy the phone regardless.

I don't really know at the moment how to phrase my question, being new to the world of smart phones. Has anyone here bought a Droid (Droid X) and used it without Verizon being the carrier in another country, successfully? What information must I get here while in in the US from the Verizon ppl to take with me?

I don't mind buying the phone to try. If the adventure fails, I can always give it to a family member and get them onto Verizon. I wonder if the salesperson is just trying not to loose a potential customer to another carrier.

Any idea or questions to ask the Verizon folks (will go see them around my lunch hour today) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Hyporea

OP
H

Hyporea

Reaction score
Update

Update: Just found out Thailand is only GSM. Don't know if there's any exceptions to that, but this kinda complicates matters. From reading other threads here I gather the Droid X is CDMA or something like that.

I guess I would like to append to the question above to include suggestions on other Android based smart phones that's GSM friendly. HTC is fairly popular there if that helps.

--Hyporea

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No device that works on VZW will work in Thailand....No use in trying.

As you have found out they are GSM Only over there.

OP
H

Hyporea

Reaction score
Thoughts

No device that works on VZW will work in Thailand....No use in trying.

As you have found out they are GSM Only over there.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in that. Really love the Droid X, but I suppose the best thing to do is not to purchase a second Droid X, but to instead see about buying her a smart phone over there, one that does work with GSM and can do Skype.

Rats! But better to know now than making a co$tly mistake.

--Hyporea

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Since you mentioned Skype, You do know that the X will not do Skype over Wifi with the installed app.

OP
H

Hyporea

Reaction score
Since you mentioned Skype, You do know that the X will not do Skype over Wifi with the installed app.

Hrm, I'm kinda learning all this as I go. Never a dull moment (in good ways) :)

I have never had the need to use Skype before. Obviously now I do. What I understand is that I'll need to set up a Skype account (done), download install software (whether for PC or phone). Then a (free) Skype call is between two Skype client software (software to software call). A Skype software to non-Skype would cost me via Skype minutes which is pay.

The wife has just set up her own Skype account on her laptop tonight (local Thailand time). My next step is to test how the Droid X does a Skype call. Thus far on the Droid X the Skype app(s) installed are only what came with the phone. It seems to be just an app to interest someone to set up a Skype account. If an additional app is required, I do not know, but suspect so.

So, I think I'll have to go to the market app and look for a Skype client app. As this point that's as much as I know/suspect.

How hot or cold am I?

--Hyporea