Search for Businesses not showing in Explorer

rgn2000

Reaction score
First off I have a Droid with 2.1 unrooted. At some point I lost the ability to search for the nearest Starbucks, Home Depot, etc. You are supposed to be able to either speak or just type the business name and when google comes up it shows some of the nearest ones with phone numbers and options for maps links. Now I just get a generic Google search page with links as if you did on your computer.

Before anyone asks, I do have GPS turned on (it is always on) and I have Use wireless networks for location turned on.

Thanks

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
I cannot believe nobody has had this problem.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
This should fix you... GPS>Menu>More>Labs> then put a check mark on Popular Categories

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Or if you are referring to finding from a web page. I have to reset mine from time to time

Browser>Menu>Windows then x out all windows. Google search comes up. Short tap near me now

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
Have you tried a factory reset? Maybe your maps/search got corrupted

The Labs setting did not do anything. As to a factory reset. I did that in April. After I manually did the 2.1 update I lost it. I did a factory reset then and it came back. At some point I lost it. I hate to do a reset again.

Also sometimes when I do a search for say Rite Aid and it does not work, if I hit local on the top, it does work, but not the same way it originally did. Over the weekend through I was getting places in Minnesota eventhough it said places near "north greenbush, ny."

I have tried closing all windows and reloading Google and hitting places near me and it sometimes works, but again it seems strange that you have to go through all those steps. I want it to work like it did when I got the phone. I was in a car with an Iphone user and they ended up beating me out on the search we were looking for. That pisses me off.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
After you set the labs in gps, are you searching for business in gps? I can beat the fanbois every time using a gps search

GPS>Menu>Search from this screen you can use the catigories (I find that faster) or if you know the name of the business hit the search button again at the bottom.

What ever you search for pops up as pins on the map. If you would rather see a list (my preference) hit the ON Screen menu button

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe nobody has had this problem.
If I want to search within Google Maps I'll search in Google Maps. I've actually never used the search button on the Droid for general searches like this.

After you set the labs in gps
Google Maps != GPS despite how people frequently interchange the names. Google Maps and Nav can use GPS.

OP
R

rgn2000

Reaction score
After you set the labs in gps, are you searching for business in gps? I can beat the fanbois every time using a gps search

GPS>Menu>Search from this screen you can use the catigories (I find that faster) or if you know the name of the business hit the search button again at the bottom.

What ever you search for pops up as pins on the map. If you would rather see a list (my preference) hit the ON Screen menu button

No I do my searching right from internet explorer or the google widget or the voice search. If I search for Pizza Hut, it should show me the closest ones to me with address and a phone number that I can click on to call. I never use the GPS (or maps) to do this type of searching. The whole google search on this phone is supposed to be quick and easy and it was that way when I first got the phone, but somehow it just isn't working anymore. I did change the setting in GPS (Maps) and it did not effect the google search via voice and IE.