Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no... they only have a slot for one micro sd card

OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Thanks. I just got this phone, and I'm a little confused about storage layout.

In storage settings, I see:
a) Application storage: Used 539MB, free 2.26GB
b) Internal storage: /mnt/sdcard, Used ~440MB, free 7.37GB
c) SD card: /mnt/sdcard-ext, free 14.81GB

In the "My Files" app that came with the phone, I see:
1) "Internal storage", which looks like what I'd expect the SD card to look like (looks like the SD card on my old Droid 2).
2) "SD card", which is pretty much empty, except for an empty camera dcim folder.

In ES File Explorer, I see:
i) The root folder /
ii) The /sdcard folder which seems to actually correspond to the phone's internal non-SD storage?
iii) The /sdcard-ext folder which seems to correspond to the external SD card.

I'm confused about how these all correspond to each other. Is it like this:
a = Some internal application data path.
b = 1 = ii = "Internal Storage", mounted to /sdcard for some reason?
c = 2 = iii = The external SD card.

When I plug the phone in to USB, two USB drives show up, these look like they correspond to /sdcard and /sdcard-ext.

Also, can I somehow make /sdcard be the external SD card and the internal storage be... something else? I have apps like, e.g. NYC Bus & Subway Maps, which is supposed to download the map data to the SD card, but I guess stores it in /sdcard so it's actually on internal phone storage. The reason I asked about the two cards is because I have /sdcard and /sdcard-ext. It is confusing some of my apps.

The phone is not rooted. Android version 4.0.4 with latest app updates as of the time of this post.

I remember this being much simpler with my Droid 2... maybe I'm getting old and slow...

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Also, can I somehow make /sdcard be the external SD card and the internal storage be... something else? I have apps like, e.g. NYC Bus & Subway Maps, which is supposed to download the map data to the SD card, but I guess stores it in /sdcard so it's actually on internal phone storage. The reason I asked about the two cards is because I have /sdcard and /sdcard-ext. It is confusing some of my apps.

Actually, no, I have a better question. I tend to try and make new things behave like the old things I'm used to, but my Droid 2 was such a mess that I'd really just like to do things as naturally as possible on my new phone (the Razr). So, what I should ask is, how do you guys like to organize pictures, music, app settings, etc., to make the best use of the external SD card?

In thinking about it it seems like the best way to manage storage on this phone is to leave apps in internal storage (I'm not even close to running out of space yet), let everything use its default paths, regardless of where /sdcard physically is, and maybe set up the camera to store pictures on the external SD card and store my music and browser downloads there as well. Does that seem reasonable? I guess my goal is to make it easy to move music, downloaded stuff, and pictures back-and-forth to my computer (plugging SD card directly in is much faster for transferring a lot of pictures or music than USB is), and also to transfer all these things to a new phone in the future without also carrying over too much cruft specific to this phone.

Thanks!

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with phones with bigger internal storage... they have the internal storage split.. so some of it for for the system/data/etc... and the rest of it.. it views as an a separate partition... which it names /sdcard/ the actual sdcard that you can take it out it is /sdcard-ext.. .the external sdcard...

as far as how to get it set up to download and save to the external sdcard... you'll have to go into the settings for the camera/browser/etc.. and tell it to use /sdcard-ext