Droid Razr MAXX HD and Jelly Bean

twwitt

Reaction score
After talking to Motorola technical support for an hour today I learned that when you connect your PC to your Droid Razr Maxx HD running the new Jelly Bean operating software using a USB communication cable and viewing the internal storage and SD card with Windows Explore you will NOT see the typical drive letters assigned any other standard storage devices. You will only see DROID RAZR HD with Internal Storage and SD card listed below NO drive letters. The Motorola technical support person told me that this new with Jelly Bean. This is not a problem if you just want to move files around, but it is a major problem if you use a backup synchronization software like GoodSync. GoodSync does not recognize the two storage devices because there is no drive letters.
Has anyone else discovered this or am I getting incorrect information from Motorola technical support?

KaChow

Reaction score
You are getting correct information. This has been a known issue since the soak, before the release of JB 4.1.1 that was made available publicly on 12/06/12. There are a number of people working towards ways to restore USB Mass Storage(found in devices running ICS and earlier), but nothing is truly effective yet on the XT926 as of yet. Likely it is possible that a JB upgrade will shortly be released somewhere ranging between 4.1.2 to 4.2, nothing has been officially disclosed as of this moment, which depending on the turn-around time of the update could impact progress on 4.1.1. Other non-Motorola devices have been able to regain Mass Storage, either through an Unlocked Bootloader permiting a custom kernel that supports Mass Storage and there are other hacks, none as of yet are effective on the XT926 Consumers Edition.

OP
T

twwitt

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Very frustrating to say the least. I like the Motorola Droid hardware and the operating system, but this could tempt me to look elsewhere.

Donb

Reaction score
yeah it sucks not being able to print the pictures you take very easily. Now I have to transfer the pics to my computer and then open them with Microsoft office picture manager to be able to print. I use them for work for our installation crew and so printing them was a snap.