Compare Razr Maxx with Razr Maxx HD?

hotice

Reaction score
Huge difference!!! People are totally missing the key here. The big deal is the change in die size from 45nm on the OMAP to 28nm on the Snapdraon S4 Plus. Also the integrated 28nm LTE/cdma/evdo chipset as well. Yeah, it's faster but you'll get much better battery life under heavy use and heavy data use with the Maxx HD compared to the Maxx because of the smaller die size and integrated radio. It will not get as hot either, hence less wasted battery.

Oh yeah, it's great having a 4.7" display too. Higher resolution may not help much but it doesn't hurt and the faster GPU makes sure it doesn't slow things down. I had it side by side with a coworkers Maxx and the phone is about the same, no bigger, maybe a little smaller. I love the design and build of the Maxx HD. The only boneheaded thing Moto did was give it MicroSDHC instead of MicroHDXC but I don't need that anyway. It would have been nice to have 2GB of RAM for future upgradeable I guess but I don't notice any problems with 1GB. Ok, one other boneheaded move...the camera should be BSI. There is no excuse for not having a BSI camera on a high-end phone. The great build and water-proof nano-coating help make up for those things. The battery life really makes up for anything else. It's just great to have a phone you can use for anything and not kill it in a day.

OP
A

AirJunky

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input on this. I ended up pullin the trigger on it. I sold the RAZR Maxx with a desktop dock, a car dock & a Diztronic case for $320 on Ebay. Then I bought the Maxx HD with a car dock & a Diztronic case for about $245. I figured I could do it & not loose money (a perk of the job I'm being laid off of at the end of Dec). I just wanted to get it done with in case I didn't have that chance later.

So the difference for me is big. Battery life is a bit better on the HD. The cosmetics of the phones are a bit different but not really anything big. The OS though.... JB is WAY better than ICW, BY FAR!! The 3 main buttons simplify things, the task switcher allows me to keep apps from piling up, and to truly multi-task. The Smart Start works far better on the HD.... when I put the phone in the car dock, I have it enabling BT & GPS, then starting Voice Commands & the Ulysse Speedometer. It does it all quickly & with no user interaction. Then when I remove the phone from the dock, it automatically disables BT & GPS, any calls online go to speaker, & then I use the task switcher to close the apps with a couple of quick swipes. If it keeps working like this, I'm going to have to get another dock for the bike too. :icon_ lala:

Anyway, in hind sight, I would tell everyone to not bother with a phone with ICW on it & make the jump to JB.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
After a week of using the Maxx HD, I have to say, it truly is the best Android phone I've ever owned. (And I've owned a ton of them including an iPhone.) For those who like the iPhone for it's feel, the Maxx HD feels as good if not better. The new Motoblur is a nice upgrade from the old Blur. The battery life seems to be the same as my OG Maxx, but I wasn't looking to improve battery life. Every time I pick this phone up, I can't put it down. It is easy to hold and easy to navigate. Well worth the $600 I dropped to begin with. Now I've got to replace 2 car docks.

bohemouth

Reaction score
Yes it was worth the money. I took the plunge! It only cost me 112.00$ I wrote a lengthy review on the "HD for 179.00" thread. I will say the interface, if that is the correct terminology. Is so much easier to navigate through. It just seems more intuitive and easier to find stuff here.I feel it's more user friendly. Much more so than the of maxx. I love the quick settings and the circle widgets. Chrome is a little weird, but I just have to learn it. I've only had it a day, and so far so good. Happy to have made the switch, I feel I can have a two year relationship with this phone.

Reaction score
Quick question...Is it truly talk and surf with the Maxx HD? I can talk and surf with the OG Maxx if I am on LTE but I am out of luck if I am not. That to make would make it worth the upgrade.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Verizon only works talking and surfing at the same time when in a 4G area. Verizon's 3G isn't capable of performing both duties at once.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some Verizon phones can talk n surf on 3G. Some HTC phones, maybe some phones with a specific snapdragon chip.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Some Verizon phones can talk n surf on 3G. Some HTC phones, maybe some phones with a specific snapdragon chip.

Well, my OG Droid, HTC Dinc, Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy 3, Razr Maxx, and iPhone 4 would not surf and talk at the same time when not using WiFi in a CDMA area. When connected to an external Internet source, I could. (Haven't tried the Maxx HD because everything LTE now all the way from work to my house.)

I was told by several that Verizon's CDMA would not allow talking and surfing at the same time. But, you could be right. There might be one out there that works, I just haven't found one. Of course, now that they moved LTE up my way, it's no longer a big deal for me.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt and Rezound were 2 that could. I think the RAZR HD's can too. Something about a separate chip to allow it. I might find the info about it soon.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow jroc, you are correct. I learned something new today. Just did the research and the thunderbolt and rezound are the first two phones on the Verizon network able to do simultaneous talk and data over 3g/cdma.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow jroc, you are correct. I learned something new today. Just did the research and the thunderbolt and rezound are the first two phones on the Verizon network able to do simultaneous talk and data over 3g/cdma.

Its interesting. Before the Thunderbolt most of us knew it as GSM vs CDMA for doing that. Makes you wonder could Verizon or Sprint have had phones do this before? Was the way the Thunderbolt did a first for CDMA phones?

blowabs

Reaction score
:( ... gottsa wait till Feb. 22 to give up my MAXX for this Maxx HD!!!!!!!!!

OP
A

AirJunky

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt and Rezound were 2 that could. I think the RAZR HD's can too. Something about a separate chip to allow it. I might find the info about it soon.

Nice. Just confirmed it.... works on the RAZR HD too. :icon_ banana:

bohemouth

Reaction score
Sweet, I can't wait to try it. Airjunky i got my Diztronic case in the mail today, fits like a glove, it's not seidio, dropped it on the floor by accident, everything seems good, case was tight enough it don't slip off. hopefully I won't leave it on the roof of my car, like i did with my X. Have you got one yet?