So I checked out the MAXX HD and the HD today.

revelated

Reaction score
Two things stood out in my mind.

Voice In My Head said:
Why in the blue hell is the white not available on the MAXX HD when it's the same F'n phone shell?

Frankly, I found the white RAZR HD to be not only more attractive than the MAXX HD, but more attractive than every other phone up on display. It just had a beautiful, quite ephemeral appearance about it.

Voice In My Head said:
The screen on the MAXX HD really sucks.

It was like looking at my own MAXX's screen and I didn't understand that. I could see how the PenTile was less apparent due to the higher resolution but the black levels seemed off and it had the look of an absolute fingerprint magnet. Compared to the RAZR HD, where the screen looked absolutely gorgeous like the online reviews. A closer looked revealed what seemed to be thicker glass or at least raised glass on the MAXX HD that wasn't there on the RAZR HD. Can anyone confirm this? Because if that's the case then it means the visibility factor would be off on the MAXX HD, and I'd rather they made it that extra millimeter thick so that the distance to the LCD wasn't so large. But maybe I'm seeing things.

I'm going down tomorrow to get the MAXX HD because, unfortunately for me, the battery life is an absolute requirement for my heavy-Hotspot-using self, and while my MAXX is still chugging along, there are things that annoy me about it that I'm hoping have been resolved with the newer model - namely, the 4G dropouts that randomly happen when using hotspot for an extended period, and the Bluetooth inconsistency.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I dropped by the Verizon store today to check out the Maxx HD also. Love the feel of the device in my hand. I liked the look of the screen, though the size isn't noticeable until you run a video, then it really jumps out at you. Flowing from screen to screen it was very quick with no lag. Running speedtest vs my Bionic, the Maxx HD was faster on both the download and upload. Funny thing though, in looking at the signal my Bionic showed -62dB, while the Maxx HD was at -85dB. I didn't expect that, and certainly that big of a difference.

BTW, they did have the Razr HD in white, and yes........it's a sweet looking device. I'll probably make the move and pick up the Maxx HD either Monday or Tuesday, and will have more on it next week.

dan.dar

Reaction score

Frankly, I found the white RAZR HD to be not only more attractive than the MAXX HD, but more attractive than every other phone up on display.,,

I could see how the PenTile was less apparent due to the higher resolution but the black levels seemed off...

The white one to me looked kind of ugly, as it wasn't pure white and you could see the holes for sensor, camera and microphone. They aren't as obvious on the black version.

As for the screen, it might have been the kind of lighting above the phone. I've read that the screen is at least on par with GNex and that it was very good in sunlight.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
The white does look great... But it would look better if the Kevlar could match it's color. I really don't like the mismatch of colors on devices...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It was like looking at my own MAXX's screen and I didn't understand that. I could see how the PenTile was less apparent due to the higher resolution but the black levels seemed off and it had the look of an absolute fingerprint magnet. Compared to the RAZR HD, where the screen looked absolutely gorgeous like the online reviews. A closer looked revealed what seemed to be thicker glass or at least raised glass on the MAXX HD that wasn't there on the RAZR HD. Can anyone confirm this? Because if that's the case then it means the visibility factor would be off on the MAXX HD, and I'd rather they made it that extra millimeter thick so that the distance to the LCD wasn't so large. But maybe I'm seeing things.

The screen on the RAZR HD and the screen on the RAZR MAXX HD are 100% identical. The only differences between the two devices are the battery and the back casing. There's no difference in the screens or in the glass. Perhaps the brightness settings of the two weren't the same, the external lighting was hitting the devices from different angles, or there was a combination of the two.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
The screen on the RAZR HD and the screen on the RAZR MAXX HD are 100% identical. The only differences between the two devices are the battery and the back casing. There's no difference in the screens or in the glass. Perhaps the brightness settings of the two weren't the same, the external lighting was hitting the devices from different angles, or there was a combination of the two.

Brightness was the same, but what I was seeing was a difference in the transparency of the glass, or at least, perceived transparency.

With the white it has the same bezel, but the glass is fully transparent, and against the white you can't tell it's there.

With the black, both for the MAXX HD and RAZR HD, it just looks "off". Reminds me of a skinny Droid BIONIC. Same bezeling with the frame. It irritated me so much I couldn't put it into words.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I really dislike white on the RAZR HD, the microphone and sensor holes look horrible against the white bezel.

needadroid

Reaction score
geoff5093 said:
I really dislike white on the RAZR HD, the microphone and sensor holes look horrible against the white bezel.

well i disagree, i think the razr HD in white looks absolutely beautiful..everything just blends so well with each other... however i do hate the back of the white and the other new razrs. i think motorola should've somehow made the kevlar white ... then the whole phone would look amazing. it just looks ok now, but im still gonna get the white.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
As much as I wanted the MAXX's extra battery I think my use case has shifted such that the battery in the regular RAZR HD is enough (but just barely). So I figure I would save the extra $50 and get the white. The hotspot WPA2 issue is the only one I've had so far. Everything else is amazing, and the phone is striking.

serial

Reaction score
I used a maxx hd in the store today, and i agree the screen did not look great at all. I pulled out my droid 4, and held it next to it, and i thought my screen looked better, and the droid 4 I used to think looked horrible! I can not tell why the maxx hd screen looked worse, it just did, hard to describe I guess.

Another thing, it felt really cheap in my hand and plastic like. All the reviews talk about how robust it feels. I was wondering, do the demo unit in the stores with all the cords and security crap attached to it, do they not have the battery in it? Maybe without the battery it made it feel so cheap. I wasn't sure and the store was closing. I was going to buy one out right for my business, but I left really disappointed and with my droid 4 :(

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

Frankly, I found the white RAZR HD to be not only more attractive than the MAXX HD, but more attractive than every other phone up on display. It just had a beautiful, quite ephemeral appearance about it.

I'm going down tomorrow to get the MAXX HD because, unfortunately for me, the battery life is an absolute requirement for my heavy-Hotspot-using self, and while my MAXX is still chugging along, there are things that annoy me about it that I'm hoping have been resolved with the newer model - namely, the 4G dropouts that randomly happen when using hotspot for an extended period, and the Bluetooth inconsistency.

Ok..it's not pentile..you might want to check..but they said it wouldn't be..better not be..lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WestOkid

Reaction score
it's pentile

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

serial

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm who has one, does it feel as solid as the droid 4? I know its not apples to apples, but just curious. My droid 4 I want to upgrade to a maxx HD, but like i said the store model I held felt like half the phone my droid 4 is in build quality.

Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Brightness was the same, but what I was seeing was a difference in the transparency of the glass, or at least, perceived transparency.

With the white it has the same bezel, but the glass is fully transparent, and against the white you can't tell it's there.

With the black, both for the MAXX HD and RAZR HD, it just looks "off". Reminds me of a skinny Droid BIONIC. Same bezeling with the frame. It irritated me so much I couldn't put it into words.

To agree with both of you...sort of, yes the screens are identical, and they both sport Gorilla Glass, but there are likely different supplier locations for Gorilla Glass, made in different plants and so there can be differences in both transparency and reflective as well as refractive qualities. I know this for a fact since I've had 4 different OG Droids, 3 different Droid 2s, 5 Droid RAZRs and currently have a Droid RAZR MAXX, while my wife has had 2 different OG Droids and 2 different Droid RAZRs. There are considerable differences between 3 versions of the glass that I've found. Some have a thicker "profile" with a sharp beveled edge, some have a thinner profile with rounded edges, and in at least one phone I've had the glass was thin with a scalloped bevel on the edges.

The thicker glass resulted in what appeared to be a higher contrast ratio, darker darks and just an overall crisper view. The thinner glass in both "types" were much less "impacting" and seemed to almost blur the image slightly. I have a similar experience with a wood stove I have in my home, where the glass on one door broke a year ago. The remaining glass on the other door is still original and is clear and sharp as a tack. The view through it has absolutely no distortion. In the door where I replaced the glass, things look slightly out of focus through the glass on that side. Seeing them both side by side it's unmistakable.