Why go for the Maxx HD over standard HD?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
aznguyen316 said:
While I totally get what you're saying on your uses, it sounds like you have the ability to keep the phone plugged in at your desk while you tether? Or am I wrong and maybe you keep the phone in your pocket while you use your Nexus 7 on the go or your kindle?

It sounded like yes it is in his pocket, screen off. If he had it plugged in at the desk he would probably have 80% when he got home. His claims are very doable. My guess he has his email accounts push to his pad so he doesn't have to look at the phone.

revelated

Reaction score
While I totally get what you're saying on your uses, it sounds like you have the ability to keep the phone plugged in at your desk while you tether? Or am I wrong and maybe you keep the phone in your pocket while you use your Nexus 7 on the go or your kindle?

It sounded like yes it is in his pocket, screen off. If he had it plugged in at the desk he would probably have 80% when he got home. His claims are very doable. My guess he has his email accounts push to his pad so he doesn't have to look at the phone.

Here's the thing. I don't like leaving my phone plugged in. It defeats the purpose of having a WIRELESS phone. The only time my phone might charge is if I'm on an extended driving trip where I have no choice, and that's only after it's juiced to near death, or at night when I'm about to go to sleep. That's it.

Once these manufacturers stop ripping people off on accessories and get on the train for wireless charging technology built into the phones like Palm did, then I'll reconsider that stance. I want to be able to lay my phone down and know it's charging without me having to fumble with plugging things in. That I'm cool with. But nobody wants to do that because they'd rather charge you for more cables. To me Motorola is one of the worst offenders on that front.

The other thing is that while I work a desk job, I'm constantly all over the building, sometimes driving, sometimes doing stairs, sometimes sitting in pointless meetings. It means I have to keep plugging and unplugging my phone. That's annoying. So yes, I just carry it on me, leave hotspot on, use the Nexus 7 for any navigation or browsing I need. The other thing is that Jelly Bean really does run circles around Ice Cream Sandwich. I did get the regular RAZR HD, and with hotspot left on I can manage 10 hours of use assuming I don't touch the phone itself. I'm hinging on just paying the extra $50 for the MAXX because frankly, while 10 hours on constant 4G is good, the MAXX can do at least 15, and that appeals to me. I just can't stand the black-only-I-look-like-an-anorexic-Droid-Bionic appearance of the MAXX.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
What happened to the good old days when you just needed a pocket full of batteries? You had to bring up palm.

Palm pilot sucked, that was before you could buy batteries 48 packs or larger at Lowes.

revelated

Reaction score
What happened to the good old days when you just needed a pocket full of batteries? You had to bring up palm.

Palm pilot sucked, that was before you could buy batteries 48 packs or larger at Lowes.

View attachment 57578

This is what I want EVERY phone to be doing. The Touchstone technology was ahead of its time - like a lot of other things Palm did (i.e. Mobile Hotspot, webOS).

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Had to Google touchstone, contact less charging is cool, highly inefficient but cool.

Phone manufacturers realize that buying cheap china manufactured batteries lower the cost and at the 10% failure rate they have a built in supply of refurbished phones at their disposal.

If every phone worked flawless where would they get refurbs from? Moot point because if they all work flawlessly there wouldn't be a need for refurbs.