SD card putting all music into LOST.DIR

fiershrimp

Reaction score
Ello everyone.

So I've tried everything to get music to stay on my "external" SD card (32gb Micro SDHC class 6, by Kingston). I say STAY because its syncs fine. But as soon as I try to unconnected it ( I've just yanked it, ejected the drive from windows then pulled it, ejected it then shut off the phone and pulled it then turned it back on, etc...) it moves 90% of the files from the music folder to lost.dir. I've done just about everything i can think, heres a list (sorry if some of them seem silly)

unmount SD card, remove from phone, plug into computer, load songs, re-mount = all files in LOST.dir

Sync "USB Mass Storage" Using
Windows Media
VCast media Maneger = all files in LOST.dir
Motorola "motocast USB"
WinAmp
Drag and Drop to folder

sync with the "windows Media Sync" mode not "USB Mass Storage"
Windows Media
VCast media Maneger
Motorola "motocast USB" = all files in LOST.dir
WinAmp

Sync to internal memory and move files to external. = All file in LOST.dir

Now here's where it gets strange, I've done this with 2 different SD cards, (both 32gb one a class 6, one a class 10) and the same thing happens. I've use both of these cards on 2 different phones (talked to Verizon and they just sent me a new phone) and the same thing happens. What the heck is going on?:blink:

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me with a pny class 10 32g....as soon as i put my class 4 16g back in the files stayed in music directory...i believe i read in a different thread that there is an issue with the 32g cards and music...my music on the 16g lags alot and i tried alot of different players so i ended getting the app "sd speed increase" and it has helped alot..almost no skip or lag....i cant remember the reason for the 32g issue...hope this helps.....

Reaction score
<edit> Nvm... horrible analogy that is actually mostly wrong</edit>... and no app can make a card go faster than what it can do(glares @tlpalmer01).

Try moving it out of the lost.dir with a file explorer? I dunno... I have a Kingston class 10, 32 gig card and have no issues at all...

Also try reformatting the card using the phone
Homescreen>menu key> settings> storage> format SD card(need to unmount first)
and then load all your music on it.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
My 32G card will be here any day. If I have any problems, I'll be sure to troubleshoot them and report back:)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
<edit> Nvm... horrible analogy that is actually mostly wrong</edit>... and no app can make a card go faster than what it can do(glares @tlpalmer01).

Try moving it out of the lost.dir with a file explorer? I dunno... I have a Kingston class 10, 32 gig card and have no issues at all...

Also try reformatting the card using the phone
Homescreen>menu key> settings> storage> format SD card(need to unmount first)
and then load all your music on it.

done that twice......since the sd increase app hardly any lag...............

xaelith

Reaction score
One thing you may want to check is see if the original files on the computer have DRM (digital rights management) enabled. I had a few music files my D1 wouldn't play because they supposedly had DRM.

Note: the following instructions are for a windows XP computer.

To check for DRM, navigate to where the music file in question is, then right-click it, and choose "properties" from the pop-up menu. In the window that comes up, there should be two tabs: "General" and "Summary"; click on the "summary" tab. The summary tab should show some information on the music file, such as song name, artist, and album the song is from. Unless you've gone this far before, there should also be an "advanced" button. Click that, and it will give you more information on the file, including DRM (it might have it listed as "protected" ). If it says anything other than "No", then the file contains DRM, and is only playable on the device that the DRM-protected content was meant for.

For example, before trying google music, i used to own and use a zune. I had a membership for the zune pass and had downloaded thousands of songs. Even with songs i bought using my "ten free songs a month" option, they were still DRM-protected and would only play on my computer and my zune.

Anyway, please let me know if this has helped at all

OP
F

fiershrimp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input peeps.

As far as I can tell its not a DMR thing. The files that disappear (get moved to Lost) change every time I sync. And if I put them on the internal memory they work fine.

I'm pretty much throwing the towel in on this one.

Thanks again.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Forgot to check back.

I got my 32GB card a few days ago and transferred over al my crap. I also synced with doubleTwist to update my playlists. None of my music ended up in the LOST.DIR folder.

I'm using a 32GB SanDisk, for what it's worth.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

badmanj32

Reaction score
I tend to get similar problems that occur in this order:

1. During playback of music or video, the phone will occasionally freak out and say that it can't play the requested track.
2. I want to listen to that track, so naturally I try to restart the phone
3. When I open the Google Play Music (GPM) again, the files are not displayed in the library. At this stage I try removing the cache data for GPM but that doesn't help. They still aren't present in GPM. The files are still viewable though the the file browser on the phone.
4. This is where it gets wierd.
I unmount the card and remove it.
I reinstall the card, typically this has been done after removing the cached data from GPM
A bunch of files have been removed from their original directories and moved into LOST.dir with their file name and information stripped. They are renamed to numerical names with no extension.

Last time this happened, i.e. about an hour ago, it was all of my images and videos from my camera. It's trivial to fix the files so they work again by changing the extension back of the files. But this is an inconvenience that is unacceptable. Sometimes it's my music or video data that get moved to LOST.dir. I doubt that that ID3 Tag information is preserved, although I have not confirmed this.

Are there ways to prevent this? Does anyone know what the true cause of this is?

My best guess is that the mounting of the SD card becomes compromised during an access of the file, via GPM, and the files become orphaned and thrown to LOST.dir as a result, but I'd love an experts assessment of the situation.

danielan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid x
In order to put a stop to permanent loss of files from LOST.DIR in Android, you have to quickly recover missing files before your Android Smartphone memory space get overwritten by some new data. Therefore, go ahead with pertinent LOST.DIR Android recovery tool like UFUSoft Lost DIR File Recovery.