SD card failure?

srfrmac87

Reaction score
over the last several weeks I've noticed I had to do more restarts and battery pulls than ever before. I figured it was about time to change up roms anyway (currently on fission). So I try to back up data from the sd card onto my PC using thr usb cable. It would get some of it, then have a cyclic redundancy error on two different computers windows 7 and xp respectfully. A couple times required a battery pull to turn off the phone after said error. So I used an adapter I had around, and was copying my backups from the bootstrapper recovery program and my ever important angry bird scores off of the sd card (about 6.5 gigs of data after all said and done).

About an hour into transfuring, some error happens. I believe it was a device not available error. I try to copy more, and immediately get another error. Put sd card in phone, and it is not reading the sd card. I let it sit an hour or so after reseating it several times. The phone functioned without the card but said it was checking the card for errors and it remained like that another hour or so.

I put the card into the win 7 computer and allowed it to check and fix errors. I can browse the contents of the card, but only on a limited basis. I try to highlight things to copy, and it freezes the explorer window. Tried using the command prompt to copy the contents, that failed.

Later on today I plan on retrying on the xp machine and two linix distros (debian and ubuntu). This long post is really for informational (and venting) purposes, but it is also to ask 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know a good program to read data from this failing card?

2. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement card? (32 or 16
Gb replacement, class 2, 4, etc.)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
srfrmac87

srfrmac87

Reaction score
So, linux is awesome. Ubuntu was able to grab most of the files I missed before. Not the bootstrap backups, but the other stuff. It only missed files in the corrupt areas where as windows (both versions) would no longer allow any copying. I ended up ordering a sandisk 32 gb class 4 micro sd card.

I should say for the record, for anyone looking to do the same as me, ubuntu is available as an installation or a live disc, meaning you can boot it from cd/dvd. Its free!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums