Scripting help?

buellboy9

Reaction score
I'm not as fluent in "*nix" as I'd like to be but I seem to recall that it is possible to set up symbolic links to direct files to a different physical location from a specific logical destination.

That being said, can someone point me in the right direction to set up the proper symbolic links so the following directories:
1) kindle
2) screenshots
3) Gps2GoogleEarth

on /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/sdcard-ext?

Thanks.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
This is the command I'm trying to enter:

ln -s /mnt/sdcard-ext/kindle ./kindle

I'm entering this command in "su" mode from the /mnt/sdcard root directory, but I get a response indicating the command isn't valid. Ideas?

What I'm trying to do is to get the kindle app to look for its files on the external SD Card, not the internal one.

safety

Reaction score
The problem is most likely that your sdcard is fat32 and doesn't support sym links. You would have to format the card(s) to a file system that supports links. You may want to try links2sd in the market or see if your app can change storage locations. Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
Crap. So much for that idea, then. Links2sd moves apps to the sdcard. I want to change the location of where the apps store and retrieve their data. Oh well, I guess it can't be done unless the app itself has that as an option. Thanks.

safety

Reaction score
After thinking about this some more, I wonder if changing your mount points will work for you. In other words rename sdcard-ext to sdcard and vice versa. To do this edit /etc/vold.fstab and change the following lines:

Code:
# external sd card                                                                                                          
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext:none:lun1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_ho
st/mmc0                                                                                                                     
# internal eMMC                                                                                                             
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 26 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc1
to
Code:
# external sd card                                                                                                          
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/[B]sdcard[/B]:none:lun1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_ho

st/mmc0                                                                                                                     
# internal eMMC                                                                                                             
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/[B]sdcard-ext[/B] 26 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc1

You will need to copy folders from one sdcard to the other so applications can find their information and then restart your phone.

I haven't tested this, so please use it at your own risk and note this will change the path for all applications not just the few you mentioned.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm feeling that brave. Maybe if I get more familiar with the phone and how to recover from massive cock-ups I'll give it a try. Thanks.

arti

Reaction score
Hi safety!
I'm similar problem with my toshiba tablet with android 3.2. I can't create symlinks in /mnt/sdcard (internal storage)
but is sucesssfully in /mnt
Why ? if I'm root.
ps
The permissions in sdcard are drw

thanks