Having a really hard time trying to change the colors in the settings app

sinusoid

Reaction score
I want to make the background white and the text dark, more specifically i want to make it look exactly like the notifications list from the status bar pulldown. My hope is to do this with all the apps with the inverted colors. This is what i've been doing so far, and the colors remain completely unchanged:

1. pull framework-res.apk from /system/framework/ folder of the Liberty Rom
2. pull Settings.apk from /system/app/ of Liberty Rom
3. in a terminal: apktool if ./framework-res.apk
4. apktool d ./Settings.apk ./Settings (No errors are displayed)
5. Change the 'application android:theme="@android:style/Theme"' on line 50 of AndroidManifest.xml to 'application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Light"'
6. in a terminal: cp Settings.apk Settings.apk.bak; rm Settings.apk
7. apktool b ./Settings ./Settings.apk (no errors displayed, but several warnings about missing spanish translations in strings)
8. adb push ./Settings.apk /mnt/sdcard-ext/Settings.apk
9. start adb shell, issue 'su' command and then on my phone, use the Scripts Manager in Rom Toolbox to mount system as Read/Write
10. in adb shell: cp /mnt/sdcard-ext/Settings.apk /system/app/Settings.apk
11. open Settings.apk and note that it is not using the Theme.Light style.
12. pull the Settings.apk file again and decode with apktool, confirm that the change in step 5. is present

At this point i'm stumped. I really love this rom but i'm not a fan of dark themes and wish to modify it for my own personal use. If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Download(I'm not sure if donate has it) adw launcher and you can change everything to change app draw and ui.
Use uot kitchen to edit everything else
check your pm's.
I think I understand what your asking, if I'm wrong my apologies
Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If you are looking to change the Settings app, you need to pull the apk the app runs from and modify that file. Sorry but i haven't done any phone or app modification in awhile so I can't tell you what the apk is called. A simple search will tell you what the apk is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
S

sinusoid

Reaction score
Yes I am trying to change the Settings app and I'm fairly sure that the apk is called Settings.apk. I managed to get the modifications to work by resigning the package and installing it as a user app, but that's definitely not what i want. The problem seems to be that something is going wrong when i recompile the package. Even if i keep all the files of the original Settings.apk but replace the original AndroidManifest.xml with my modified and recompiled version, it sill breaks the package. I'm wondering if Liberty has some sort of extra dependency i should be installing with 'apktool if .apk.

OP
S

sinusoid

Reaction score
I managed to create a functional modified Settings.apk, but i'm not sure if there will be any downsides to how i managed it... I decompiled Settings.apk, changed Theme to Theme.Light in AndroidManifest.xml, recompiled and signed Settings.apk (in order to allow me to install it as a user app) and pushed it to my sdcard. Then i opened up the file in Root Browser and pressed Install. Once it was installed, I found it in Titanium Backup and used the "convert to system app" option. I went to check under /system/app and saw that it was renamed com.motorola.settings so i changed the name back to Settings.apk. Everything seems to be working just fine, but what a ridiculous procedure!

OP
S

sinusoid

Reaction score
after testing a ridiculous amount of combinations of apktool versions, windows/linux, jdk versions. aapt versions, .apk files, and roms i've decided that apktool must be doing something strange with the xml files. has anyone else had difficulty using apktool to modify xml resources for the bionic?