Screen only responsive with keyboard out

LordKastle

Reaction score
Just was wondering if any of you might know what the issue is over here....

I have a Droid 4. The screen does not respond to anything unless the physical keyboard is pulled out. As of right now I am forced to pull out the keyboard to unlock and use the screen.

Might this be a hardware issue or would a hard reset possibly cure this?

Any info is appreciated.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like hardware but there is a possibility some software affected the screen. I think the only way to find out is the FDR.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
When you lock your phone, does it respond to your swipe or pin or pattern to unlock the phone?

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
I haven't downloaded anything for over a year. So not sure if its because of a current app that somehow glitched it or not.

The screen responds to unlocking the phone when the keyboard is pulled out. When the keyboard is in and the phone is in portrait mode, the screen is unresponsive and I cannot unlock the phone with a swipe. The screen turns on and off with the keyboard in/not pulled, but touches are unresponsive.

Is the only thing left to do is hard reset before diagnosing if this is a hardware issue?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
It doesn't scream hardware issue to me just yet. If you can get to your settings, try clearing the cache on the keyboard app. I had this happen to me once with a keyboard. I don't recall which one it was. If you are using stock then I will have to think on it.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Everything is stock at the moment. What is somewhat concerning is that it seems to have gotten worse the past few hours.

Now the screen is sensitive to touch when the physical keyboard is pulled out, but it seems to stop after a couple minutes of use and I have to lock/unlock a couple times before it triggers on. I hope this isn't a slow death.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Right now I have the keyboard pulled out about 20% and the screen is remaining sensitive to touch. But as mentioned above, the past couple hours its been having more trouble and was only responding to touch for a minute or two. Its a sweet spot for now.

Not sure if this indicates a hardware issue or not.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
If it is hardware related, is the phone too old to be repaired through Motorola or somewhere else?

I can't go without a physical keyboard.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
Let me add to the comedy of errors to see if this confirms any of your suspicions.

No audio comes out from the earpiece now when the phone is in normal portrait mode. I have to pull out the physical keyboard 10-80%, but not all the way....for the audio to come through the ear piece.

Would the digitizer be causing this as well?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Possible. Could also be a ribbon cable not connected all the way. Not super likely, but possible.