Bringing Droid back from the dead--disable hardware keyboard?

badger98

Reaction score
Well, my Droid was dropped into water, so I was prepared for the worst. Thankfully, the batter was not attached, so there was some hope. After carefully drying it out using cool air and then sealing it in a bag of dry rice, I attempted to turn it on today.

Amazingly, it booted right up and appeared ready for action--until it became clear that the hardware keyboard is a huge issue. It is constantly "pressing" keys whether the keyboard is open or closed. Thus, the phone regularly brings up a Google search window and starts spewing letters. I've tried physically pressing all of the keys in an attempt to "unstick" them, but to no avail. Soft and hard resets of the phone have not worked, either. After the hard reset, the phone is now impossible to activate, because the keyboard continues to fire random keystrokes on the activation call, nullifying any actual entries I try to make.

My next thought was, "could I disable the hardware keyboard altogether and simply not use it?" Of course, at this point, I'd need to be able to do this through some back door method, since the phone will not get past the activation screens when turned on.

Any thoughts, or am I "dead in the water" (pun intended)?

smwScott

Reaction score
I have this exact same issue, I dropped my Droid in a beer the other night. Does anyone know any way to disable the hardware keyboard?