screen locked when placing or receiving calls, is it a sensor problem that's fixable?

jhunt23

Reaction score
Well, I just got the bionic, and I am impressed, but annoyed at the same time. When I place/receive a call,. my screen goes into lock mode which is normal when the phone is held up to my ear, but when I take it away, its still locked, and I have to push the unlock button at the top of the phone to see the dial pad so I can end the call. If I get another call while I'm using it, I cannot unlock it to see who is calling until they have already hung up. So basically unless I instantly push the unlock button upon placing/receiving a call, it is least black as if it is still being held up to my ear. Anyone else having this problem? I have tried just about every option in the settings menu to no avail.please help

hr_holzschuh

Reaction score
Well, I just got the bionic, and I am impressed, but annoyed at the same time. When I place/receive a call,. my screen goes into lock mode which is normal when the phone is held up to my ear, but when I take it away, its still locked, and I have to push the unlock button at the top of the phone to see the dial pad so I can end the call. If I get another call while I'm using it, I cannot unlock it to see who is calling until they have already hung up. So basically unless I instantly push the unlock button upon placing/receiving a call, it is least black as if it is still being held up to my ear. Anyone else having this problem? I have tried just about every option in the settings menu to no avail.please help

I'm having the same issue! Please help!

jeska79

Reaction score
Help

I am having the same Issue...

PhilD

Reaction score
do you have a screen protector installed that covers the proximity sensor (upper right)? if so, try removing it

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I don't. It only covers the screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Just to make sure, see if it's covering the sensor AT ALL. My old screen protector came up on the bottom of the sensor and that was enough to mess with it. I took it off and everything was fine. Some of the Bionic screen protectors don't fit correctly even though they're advertised to. The brand I bought was one of them. I contacted them and they were aware of the problem and sent out another one with the proper cut outs and I had to really be careful not to cover the sensor at all since it's such a small dot and easy to do.

Anderea

Reaction score
Black screen while in phone call.

I also am having the same problem but, my screen goes black when placed up to my ear or when sensor is cover like its sapose to. But its when i have the sensor coverd for more then a couple minutes which is a cool feature but, to turn my screen back on i have to press the power button and doing that turns on my screen but it ends my phone call.

So after a couple minutes the screen stays black.

ripper2860

Reaction score
I've not had the issue. Try disabling "in pocket detection". I always manually lock mine when done using it, so I don't need it.

Also -- The wife's phone (Moto Atrix 4G) was doing the same thing and a factory reset cleared her problem.

Anderea

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback.

I will try disabling pocket detection but, that I think that that would not affect a phone call?

Who replied back with my findings.

Thank you

ripper2860

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback.

I will try disabling pocket detection but, that I think that that would not affect a phone call?

Who replied back with my findings.

Thank you

In Pocket detection should NOT come into play when in a phone call, but the proximity sensor is involved and that sensor is also used to "blank" the screen during a call when the phone is against one's face (for battery conservation). May not do a thing, but it's something quick and easy to try -- just in case.

robschneider17

Reaction score
Droid Pro, doing the same thing since I installed the latest Android update. I mess with all the settings and eventually get it to work, then one day it starts doing it again. Make a call and the screen goes black and locks out. Nothing covering the sensor, changed the screen timeout, deleted Advanced Task killer, basically tried everything on these forums. P.O.S. Going to get an iPhone even though I love the qwerty keyboard on the Droid. Bummer.

Last edited:

cthebadge38

Reaction score
I had the same problem. When trying to call my bank account it was a pain to try to punch in my info. After just installing the latest OTA update leak, it's been working perfect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums