Screen issue.

Nugiange

Reaction score
When I'm done with my phone conversation and I pull the phone away from my ear, the screen remains off. I have to hit the power button to turn the screen on to end the phone conversation. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This has been discussed at one level or another many times before, and in some cases the problem is related to the proximity sensor being fooled into thinking something is in front and within the 3cm range, causing it to either not turn on at all or to only turn on when the power button is hit. Some (including myself), found that the screen protector wasn't properly die-cut to leave the proximity sensor exposed and that alone was the determining factor. It was difficult to diagnose in that example, because it wasn't a consistent fail.

There may be other potential causes, including the screen being dirty, or just the way someone holds the phone not realizing their own hand or finger is within the detection range and again fools the proximity sensor into thinking the phone is either against your face or in your pocket.

In some cases "pocket detection" can be the culpret.

Finally, there are apps which have screen control and one or more apps, either directly or due to conflict may cause the proximity sensor to operate sporadically.

There is at least this one app (and there are actually several but this one seems to work best from my experience), https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tigermonster.proxfinder, which demonstrates via the display and a measurement whether your proximity sensor is functioning normally or not. In the case of some phones, the sensor only says 100cm or 3cm with 3cm representing "covered". So there is only an on state and an off state, whereas other phones' sensors actually give you a range in measurement and that measurement displays.

Using the above app, you can waive your hand over the sensor area (usually to the left of the earpiece in the upper range of the front phone face), and it will display whether you are in front (indicating the phone either against your face or in your pocket), or not (in other words away from your face or out of your pocket). If it responds consistently to the test with your hand, then the problem is likely software/conflict related. On my Motorola Droid MAXX, it only detects if I am within the 3cm range. I can place my hand in front of the phone while it shows 100cm, and slowly move it closer until I reach 3cm at which time it responds by the display changing to 3cm to indicate I am now blocking the sensor and simulating the phone being against my face or in my pocket.

OP
N

Nugiange

Reaction score
Was broken proximity sensor. Replacement phone on the way.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed at one level or another many times before, and in some cases the problem is related to the proximity sensor being fooled into thinking something is in front and within the 3cm range, causing it to either not turn on at all or to only turn on when the power button is hit. Some (including myself), found that the screen protector wasn't properly die-cut to leave the proximity sensor exposed and that alone was the determining factor. It was difficult to diagnose in that example, because it wasn't a consistent fail.

There may be other potential causes, including the screen being dirty, or just the way someone holds the phone not realizing their own hand or finger is within the detection range and again fools the proximity sensor into thinking the phone is either against your face or in your pocket.

In some cases "pocket detection" can be the culpret.

Finally, there are apps which have screen control and one or more apps, either directly or due to conflict may cause the proximity sensor to operate sporadically.

There is at least this one app (and there are actually several but this one seems to work best from my experience), https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tigermonster.proxfinder, which demonstrates via the display and a measurement whether your proximity sensor is functioning normally or not. In the case of some phones, the sensor only says 100cm or 3cm with 3cm representing "covered". So there is only an on state and an off state, whereas other phones' sensors actually give you a range in measurement and that measurement displays.

Using the above app, you can waive your hand over the sensor area (usually to the left of the earpiece in the upper range of the front phone face), and it will display whether you are in front (indicating the phone either against your face or in your pocket), or not (in other words away from your face or out of your pocket). If it responds consistently to the test with your hand, then the problem is likely software/conflict related. On my Motorola Droid MAXX, it only detects if I am within the 3cm range. I can place my hand in front of the phone while it shows 100cm, and slowly move it closer until I reach 3cm at which time it responds by the display changing to 3cm to indicate I am now blocking the sensor and simulating the phone being against my face or in my pocket.
Awesome information! Great app to know about. Thanks!