Proximity sensor problem?

hacku

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that when I place a call, immediately after it dials it the screen goes black before I even put the phone up to my face (and no, I'm not covering the sensor). And after I end the call and pull it away from my face it remains blacked out. I have to actually slide the keyboard open to get the screen t wake up so I can either end the call when I'm done, or if I want to use speaker.

I did a search and some people are experiencing the opposite where the screen stays on and they end up pushing buttons with their face.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

dgoakill

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that when I place a call, immediately after it dials it the screen goes black before I even put the phone up to my face (and no, I'm not covering the sensor). And after I end the call and pull it away from my face it remains blacked out. I have to actually slide the keyboard open to get the screen t wake up so I can either end the call when I'm done, or if I want to use speaker.

I did a search and some people are experiencing the opposite where the screen stays on and they end up pushing buttons with their face.

I have the exact same problem. very annoying when you need to access the dialpad button to enter numbers for an automated answering system.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only thing I could suggest is a factory reset to see if it is a program/app that is causing the problem or a hardware issue. The later of course would have you going to the store or calling CS (only reason I suggest the reset is because it's the FIRST things they are going to have you do or do in the store so this will save you some time).

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Only thing I could suggest is a factory reset to see if it is a program/app that is causing the problem or a hardware issue. The later of course would have you going to the store or calling CS (only reason I suggest the reset is because it's the FIRST things they are going to have you do or do in the store so this will save you some time).

You don't need to go to the store to do a factory reset...

Settings> Privacy > Factory Data Reset

Anyone else having this issue that can offer a solution?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You running Advanced Task Killer?

Reason I ask is because I had the same problem when I first got the phone and installed it. Upon uninstall haven't had the issue since.

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
You running Advanced Task Killer?

Reason I ask is because I had the same problem when I first got the phone and installed it. Upon uninstall haven't had the issue since.

Yes I am... I'll uninstall it and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

machnhed

Reaction score
I am running ATK and my screen goes black almost immediately as well. However, I just have to shake the phone just a little bit and the screen comes to life. I can only speak for myself, but I like this cuz I still have to pull the phone away from my face if I'm needing to look and dial in numbers, so rattling the phone a tiny bit to bring it to life doesn't bother me.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
ya im having problems both ways. sometimes it wont go on and then other times it stays on and i end up either muting the other person or hanging up on them. really sucks

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

:whore:
Please learn to read a response before adding to the discussion. I said 'the latter' (though forgot an 'l'), which in this case would be a hardware issue would require a trip to the store... not performing the reset. But thanks for playing.

As to the OP, sorry, I've tried to get mine to mess up and, while it might have a slight delay it seams to be acting as designed/intended. I used to use ATK (for the first week or so) and didn't notice anything so this sounds like a hardware failure.

Your not using a cheap screen protector or case or something are you (i.e. something that could be interfering with the sensor)?

Edit: OP are you using any sort of 'battery saving' or monitor programs (i.e. something to keep the screen dim)? I'm using screebl but I could see how a program like that could be causing this.

Last edited:
OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score

:whore:
Please learn to read a response before adding to the discussion. I said 'the latter' (though forgot an 'l'), which in this case would be a hardware issue would require a trip to the store... not performing the reset. But thanks for playing.

As to the OP, sorry, I've tried to get mine to mess up and, while it might have a slight delay it seams to be acting as designed/intended. I used to use ATK (for the first week or so) and didn't notice anything so this sounds like a hardware failure.

Your not using a cheap screen protector or case or something are you (i.e. something that could be interfering with the sensor)?

Edit: OP are you using any sort of 'battery saving' or monitor programs (i.e. something to keep the screen dim)? I'm using screebl but I could see how a program like that could be causing this.

You call me a post whore and tell me to "Please learn to read a response before adding to the discussion."? Well you apparently didn't read either since I'm both the "post whore" and the OP. :icon_ devil:

But anyway, I got rid of Advanced Task Killer and my phone has been functioning properly ever since. I'll probably shoot an email to the developer so he can look into why his program is causing this issue.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You call me a post whore and tell me to "Please learn to read a response before adding to the discussion."? Well you apparently didn't read either since I'm both the "post whore" and the OP. :icon_ devil:

But anyway, I got rid of Advanced Task Killer and my phone has been functioning properly ever since. I'll probably shoot an email to the developer so he can look into why his program is causing this issue.

:icon_ owned:
DOH!!!!!!!
lol, glad you got it sorted out.

, I got rid of Advanced Task Killer and my phone has been functioning properly ever since. I'll probably shoot an email to the developer so he can look into why his program is causing this issue.
This is some great info here. Thanks for updating us.

As I said in my previous post, deleting solved this very same issue for me and I was only closing out the Browser, Market and Maps.

Thanks again for the update hacku

There definitely appears to be a problem (be it a small one) with apps not playing well with others. Seems to be a lot of combination though (for me Home++ was working great UNTIL I UNINSTALLED ATK, then it went to hell). Understandable with Android still being relatively new but I think they need to realize this and address it via controlling the market a little better (e.g. certifying programs or something).

The problem is compounded with so many versions of the OS currently being used and 'supported.' That's another area of improvement they need in the market place (* this program confirmed with x device or x.x OS).

10ACTony

Reaction score

Oh yeah and its really annoying. And I'm not using ATK.

Last edited:

DSMJon

Reaction score
My screen has always gone blank after dialing, from what I recall even before installing ATK.. A lil shake wakes it up for me though. Only had the phone a few days, so of course I'm still playing too much to worry about such luxuries :)

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't look like ATK was the problem. This morning I placed several phone calls and had the exact same issue... :(

FML!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Well, it doesn't look like ATK was the problem. This morning I placed several phone calls and had the exact same issue... :(

FML!
not good.......

I wish I could assist you more but I'm at a loss now.

I haven't had the problem come back but that does not do you any good.