Screen goes blank during call and does not come back on

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I just had the following experience with my Droid and was wondering if this is a known issue.

I answered a phone call that lasted about 20 minutes. During the conversation I noticed that the accelerometer behavior was not supposed to be working as it should...i.e. the screen did not light up when I moved the phone away fro my ear. Pressing the power button or any of the home keys did not bring up screen. When the call was completed (disconnected by the person at the other end of the line) the screen continued to remain blank and did not respond to key presses. I had to remove the battery and reinsert it to get the screen to work again.

Should I exchange my device?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I ran into that same problem as well. I had to pull the battery to get it up on it's feet again.

Are you running any task killer apps?

Mine was caused by ATK....

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I have ATK too. I have uninstalled it and will see if the behavior persists.

crankygypsy

Reaction score
i don't believe it uses the accelerometer for this. there is an IR sensor in the top left corner that it uses to sense when it is near your head so you don't press END with your cheek.

mbogosia

Reaction score
I have this problem every now and then as well. But, to fix it I simply push the power button quick and the screen comes back on. No need to pull the batery. I do have task killer installed.

MotorDroid

Reaction score
I have this problem every now and then as well. But, to fix it I simply push the power button quick and the screen comes back on. No need to pull the batery. I do have task killer installed.

me too I have this problem but I have to push the power/lock button quickly and it comes back. Kind of a pain in the ( Y ) though

bmcgaugh

Reaction score
Bad proximity sensor

I had this problem when I first got this phone. As soon as the call would connect, the screen would blank and could not get it back with any button pushes or motions. I could get the screen back by opening the physical keyboard. Did not have to pull the battery. One recommendation on this issue was to use Screebl, which is a great app, but does not fix this problem, since it is not a hiberanation problem. I replaced the phone and no longer have the problem even with all of the same apps installed and more. The "Sensor Test" app is great and will tell you if your proximity sensor (and others) is working correctly. It should normally show approx 2.14, but if you cover the top left corner of the Droid, it will read 3.0.

mrnelson86

Reaction score
Are you guys wiping off the screen? Greasy residue from your face can block the sensor...or at least so I've read on these forums in the past

sboman_32

Reaction score
way to close to the equator for my taste...
I've had this problem as well. I installed "sensor test" and it seems to have fixed the problem? I'm using Screebl and Advanced Task Killer and after downloading that program the screen has begun to work correctly after calls.

deadernie

Reaction score
I've had the same problem randomly. The last time it happened I was using speakerphone and screen went black after about ten minutes. Sometimes when ending calls I have to wait for the other person to hang up because nothing makes the screen light up.

anewday

Reaction score
I've had the same problem randomly. The last time it happened I was using speakerphone and screen went black after about ten minutes. Sometimes when ending calls I have to wait for the other person to hang up because nothing makes the screen light up.

I experienced this today while on speakerphone. After the other person hung up, the screen did not light up like it normally would without the speakerphone on. Motorola needs to fix these simple issues. :icon_evil:

Womp

Reaction score
My original launch Droid did this and caused me to have to do a battery pull whenever the screen wouldn't come back on at the end of a call. The entire phone was on, screen lit, but would not react to any button, including long or short presses on the sleep button. During the course of a week it had done it about eight times, totally unacceptable. Luckily I was within my 30 day return so I swapped it out.

Good as new. The new Droid I have here is perfect and lights up perfect every time for the past three months since replacing it.

There are phones out there with genuine faulty proximity sensors and if yours does this, ignore the suggestions about facial oil blockage or screen protectors or even downloading apps to fix it - it's all bunk excuses. Get a replacement ASAP. There is absolutely no reason for this to be happening.