screen freezes when texting

s_cuttic

Reaction score
my Droid X has recently started freezing up when I'm writing texts, commenting on facebook or even entering web page addresses. I'll be writing a text and when I touch the space bar, the screen basically freezes with the space bar highlighted. I can send the message and go to the home screen but I can't do anything else. I can't scroll between home screens, access the menu, load any apps or do much else. If I hit the home key, it'll open/close the notification bar. I can press and hold the power button and select "sleep" or "power off" so I know the phone isn't frozen, but there's something that's screwing up my phone. I have to power off the phone, power it back on and it'll work fine until I need to type something. I'll start typing and it'll freeze after a few seconds of typing.

I'm rooted running DarkSlide X on 2.3.3 and 4.5.596. I used the TBH 2-part update to get Gingerbread. I've been running DarkSlide X for about two months now or so and I've had no problems before. This just started within the past few days, less than a week. I'm guessing it's a software issue with an app, but I have no idea what could be doing it. I recently updated vcast song i.d. and thought maybe that was doing it, but after uninstalling the app and rebooting, my screen still froze up.

I am using wireless tether and about 3 weeks ago I installed the TBH wireless tether patch, but my phone didn't have any issues after installing it.

Earlier today I SBF'd back to Froyo 2.3.340 and reinstalled Darkslide X. I thought maybe that would have solved the problem but no such luck.

Wipe DATA, wipe CACHE, and even an SBF didn't solve my problem.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard or anyone else running into this?

Any help in greatly appreciated!!

Savagerun

Reaction score
Did you try going in settings > applications > manage applications then press the all tab and scroll down to your multi touch keyboard and press clear data? See if that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

howdoi

Reaction score
keyboard input freezing

those steps helped me. Thank You. I do not have any of the hi-tech modifications but starting a couple of days ago inputting any text was a frustration, so thank you for simple, direct steps I could follow on my Droid X

Savagerun

Reaction score
Glad it helped you. Your welcome...

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Seems to have done the trick for me too. Wonder why an sbf didn't fix it though.

I was ready to throw my phone off a wall if it would have kept freezing up.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Seems to have done the trick for me too. Wonder why an sbf didn't fix it though.

I was ready to throw my phone off a wall if it would have kept freezing up.

If it happens again you can also just get a different keyboard from the market. Keyboard for android 2.3 app is free so you can give that a try if your keyboard gives you problems again. Just curious what is your system version? Are you on 4.5.602 or 4.5.605?
Edit... Just noticed your on.596. The latest gingerbread update which is. 605 was supposed to take care of keyboard issues people were having on gingerbread. I've always used a different keyboard besides the stock one so I've never had issues. I use swiftkeyX keyboard it's a paid app but is excellent.

Last edited:
OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I actually did update to .602 or .605 a few months ago but I lost root and couldn't get it back without doing an sbf. I tried using the D3 one click root method to re-root my phone but it didn't work. Tried 3 times but no luck

Savagerun

Reaction score
I actually did update to .602 or .605 a few months ago but I lost root and couldn't get it back without doing an sbf. I tried using the D3 one click root method to re-root my phone but it didn't work. Tried 3 times but no luck

Ok if im understanding you correctly you probably did an sbf to 340 froyo using rsdlite then used Z4root to root and flashed the 2part prerooted 596 to get you where you are now. Is that correct?

OP
S

s_cuttic

Reaction score
Yep. That's exactly what I did then flashed Darkslide X and the team black hat wifi tether patch

Savagerun

Reaction score
Ok. If your happy with darkslidex that's great it is an excellent rom but if you want to upddate to 605 you would need to do the 602sbf then after that you could take the OTA to get you on 605 then root that with the d3 one click root. This link has what you need to do it all http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/g...g/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html in that link first focus on where it says 602 iso file (YAY) that's where you'll find a step by step video to show you how to sbf. You would do the 4.5.602 iso. Then directly after you sbf do a factory reset in stock recovery. This video will show you how [video=youtube;dbCTL1fc5bo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCTL1fc5bo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video] after the reset then you can go ahead and take the OTA to 605 then root that with the d3 one click root which is also in the first link i gave you. There's a video also in there for doing the one click root. Then you can try out some of the newest roms.

Ske1283

Reaction score
Did you try going in settings > applications > manage applications then press the all tab and scroll down to your multi touch keyboard and press clear data? See if that helps.

THANK YOU!!
I was searching for a solution for the same problem that just started happening on my Droid 2 Global the last 24 hrs...and your fix worked. Fingers crossed that it lasts!!

dancedroid
:)
Sharon