Scratch on screen

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. It's just interesting how one sharp surface with force being put behind it won't hurt the screen but slipping past a 'similar' type of surface does.
Keys aren't that hard, people. Please read the existing threads. This has been discussed many times before, namely in threads where people claim that screen protectors aren't necessary and that Gorilla Glass is scratch proof (it isn't -- it's scratch resistant which is not the same thing).

Pretty sure the Later 2 of the insurance packages Verizon offers you can file a claim for any reason.
Some in this thread seem to be using warranty and insurance interchangeably. They're 2 different things. When I was switching plans today the options were:

- Extended warranty
- Asurion insurnace
- Extended warranty + Asurion insurance

Warranties cover defects. Scratching your screen isn't a warranty issue.

After all the insurance vs warranty talk I tracked down information and made a post outlining the difference.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

leftbrain99

Reaction score

These might work... if the Droid screen were acrylic or some other plastic. But it's glass and none of these, including the Applesauce product, will have any effect on glass. They are marketed for the early iPods that had plastic screens.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

These might work... if the Droid screen were acrylic or some other plastic. But it's glass and none of these, including the Applesauce product, will have any effect on glass. They are marketed for the early iPods that had plastic screens.

Good point. Didn't realize the iPhone was plastic. In that case there are plenty of Glass Resurfacing products.
Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème

Yes, I realize it's for auto-glass but with proper care it (or any similar glass resurfacing product) should work fine. It's at least worth a try before shelling out the $89 deductible.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
The iPhone doesn't have a plastic screen - it's glass. But none of those products are marketed for use on the iPhone. Actually, the article posted at the link was written before there even was an iPhone. The iPods at that time still had plastic screens.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try using a whitening toothpaste and a piece of denim. Rub the toothpaste into the screen in a circular motion with the denim at the scratch. It will take a while, but if the scratch isnt too deep, you will be able to buff it out. That is an old jewelers trick to fixing scratched crystals on watches.

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
the real question is, how the frakkin' hell did you put a scratch in that dren???
my droid got a scratch in it with in 4 days of owning it. I had the Verizon case/holder I babied it. didn't drop it, didn't pocket it. I was soooooo careful with it, yet I have NO IDEA how it got scratched. I didn't loan it to anyone it never left my sight.

so you tell me how great gorilla glass is when you can treat a phone so perfect and yet it still gets scratched. but some one can hack away at the screen with keys and it isn't harmed.

-=Jason=-
but, for the rest of us, knowing how it happened would be very useful for prevention purposes.
here's an idea, do you wear a diamond ring? it may be more scratch resistant that regular soda lime glass, but I doubt it's anywhere as hard as diamond.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
but, for the rest of us, knowing how it happened would be very useful for prevention purposes.
here's an idea, do you wear a diamond ring? it may be more scratch resistant that regular soda lime glass, but I doubt it's anywhere as hard as diamond.
no diamond ring its tunston carbide no sharp edges or anything to scratch it. my wife has a diamond ring, but she didn't touch the phone with in those 4 days I had it. I honestly wish I knew how it happened because its beyond me. with my case on even IF I set the phone face down the glass is NOT touching the surface its touching.

I set the phone down face first on my glass table and brain farted and picked it up super fasting thinking I might have messed it up, but I didn't but from there on out it wasn't face down.

-=Jason=-

ny00n

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to know how a Droid screen can be scratched...well, I found out how. Had the phone a week, and I was waiting on my case and screen protectors to arrive in the mail. I was as careful as I could be with it. But, in a rush I set the phone in my lap in the car, and it slid down between the seat and center console. I was very upset (first "drop" and all), but it seemed harmless enough. Turns out it put a nick right in the center of the screen, noticeable exactly how the OP had described. I suppose it made contact with the seat railing.

Now I did a test just like the guy in the Youtube clip on Day 1 of Droid release at the VZW store. I took the sharp point of my house key to that screen while no one was looking. I couldn't gouge the screen, couldn't scratch it, nothing. And then, without trying, I did even worse to my own phone. Screen protector is on there now.

To the OP, all I can say is that if you rub at it with your finger every so often for a day or two, I think you can "buff" out the sharp edges of that nick and it will be less noticeable. That is what happened with mine. I can see it, but it's not as obvious, and hidden even more with the reflection of having a screen protector. I don't really think Zagg IS will "fill" the crack like someone suggested, but the reflection hides the distorted reflection of the crack underneath.

My screen has multiple little scratches on my Droid. I put a SGP anti fingerprint screen protector on after about a week of use. I noticed there were some debri under the protector but didnt worry about it. About 2 weeks later, I decided to take the protector off. I take it off and that's when I see all the little scratches with were NOT there before I but the screen on, and that's a fact. The only way the screen could have received those scratches is from whatever the f*** was under the screen protector, just my luck.

jkwakopo

Reaction score
This is not a place to discuss possible insurance fraud.

Thanks for understanding.
It's not insurance fraud. The insurance policy covers you for everything, from negligent water damage, to running the phone over with a car. They will tell you that when you buy it or call to make a warranty claim.

I told them straight up that some drunk idiot pushed me in the pool and they immediately replaced my LG enV3.

There's a deductible and you can only use it every so often, so it's not like you can really abuse the policy.

deductible is $85 rite?? Think I read it few days ago somewhere in this forum... This forum has everything u need to know about droid!!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This is not a place to discuss possible insurance fraud.

Thanks for understanding.
It's not insurance fraud. The insurance policy covers you for everything, from negligent water damage, to running the phone over with a car. They will tell you that when you buy it or call to make a warranty claim.

I told them straight up that some drunk idiot pushed me in the pool and they immediately replaced my LG enV3.

There's a deductible and you can only use it every so often, so it's not like you can really abuse the policy.

deductible is $85 rite?? Think I read it few days ago somewhere in this forum... This forum has everything u need to know about droid!!

Mine is $50 for the Droid.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Keys are made of brass and brass can't scratch glass...

You should tell that to my Droid, which just got a nasty scratch on the screen today, from the keys in my pocket.

I couldn't believe it. I am super careful with my phone, try to never put it in the same pocket with my keys, but just for a moment today I had to run out to get something from the truck and I dropped it in my pocket. Loose fitting workout shorts. I notice the scratch when I got home. Ridiculous!!

So. I still have a week left on my 30 days, think I might go and exchange it for a new one, I don't know. It's annoying more than anything.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That sucks, well Brass Keys is the reason all those tests didn't scratch stuff... maybe some of your keys are steel... or your keyring?