Scratch on screen

nerdbox08

Reaction score
LOL, I was addressing his comment that glass is not easily scratched. Stop trying to talk about things you think you know about, but in fact, do not.

I did not address how it happened for obvious reasons, because I do not know. You are not in any position to tell me what I can, or cannot comment on. Nor are you in any position to actually know what I am thinking, when I type something up, so feel free to cut that crap out, too. You do not know me, so stop trying to be cute.

You are very entertaining. That's for sure.

But while we continue to derail this thread, keep a few things in mind: Everything you just said to me can be said right back at you.

So please, don't think you are in charge of me either. As you've said of yourself to many, many people in these forums.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
Guys stop arguing in this thread he doesn't want us to argue but to find out the problem. Nerd box he defending his ideas and just let him have them. Anything like glass sand or diamonds I believe he noted could scratch the screen. I would be careful to both of you I wouldn't be surprised if a mod gave you a warning.

leftbrain99

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to know how a Droid screen can be scratched...well, I found out how. Had the phone a week, and I was waiting on my case and screen protectors to arrive in the mail. I was as careful as I could be with it. But, in a rush I set the phone in my lap in the car, and it slid down between the seat and center console. I was very upset (first "drop" and all), but it seemed harmless enough. Turns out it put a nick right in the center of the screen, noticeable exactly how the OP had described. I suppose it made contact with the seat railing.

Now I did a test just like the guy in the Youtube clip on Day 1 of Droid release at the VZW store. I took the sharp point of my house key to that screen while no one was looking. I couldn't gouge the screen, couldn't scratch it, nothing. And then, without trying, I did even worse to my own phone. Screen protector is on there now.

To the OP, all I can say is that if you rub at it with your finger every so often for a day or two, I think you can "buff" out the sharp edges of that nick and it will be less noticeable. That is what happened with mine. I can see it, but it's not as obvious, and hidden even more with the reflection of having a screen protector. I don't really think Zagg IS will "fill" the crack like someone suggested, but the reflection hides the distorted reflection of the crack underneath.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Guys stop arguing in this thread he doesn't want us to argue but to find out the problem. Nerd box he defending his ideas and just let him have them. Anything like glass sand or diamonds I believe he noted could scratch the screen. I would be careful to both of you I wouldn't be surprised if a mod gave you a warning.

But again, you missed my point: Hook asked how it was done, not what could do it.

That's all I was trying to get at. He is welcome to defend his ideas, which are true, but I can also defend my point. If a mod wants to warn me, that's their right to do so, but until then I will defend myself should I see fit; which I did.

I also pointed out the thread was being derailed, which shouldn't have happened in the first place, but it seems common at times for it to happen when strong opinions come in contact with each other. Like he said, it's the internet.

So if you want to be mad at me for doing the same thing he was doing, go for it.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to know how a Droid screen can be scratched...well, I found out how. Had the phone a week, and I was waiting on my case and screen protectors to arrive in the mail. I was as careful as I could be with it. But, in a rush I set the phone in my lap in the car, and it slid down between the seat and center console. I was very upset (first "drop" and all), but it seemed harmless enough. Turns out it put a nick right in the center of the screen, noticeable exactly how the OP had described. I suppose it made contact with the seat railing.

Now I did a test just like the guy in the Youtube clip on Day 1 of Droid release at the VZW store. I took the sharp point of my house key to that screen while no one was looking. I couldn't gouge the screen, couldn't scratch it, nothing. And then, without trying, I did even worse to my own phone. Screen protector is on there now.

To the OP, all I can say is that if you rub at it with your finger every so often for a day or two, I think you can "buff" out the sharp edges of that nick and it will be less noticeable. That is what happened with mine. I can see it, but it's not as obvious, and hidden even more with the reflection of having a screen protector. I don't really think Zagg IS will "fill" the crack like someone suggested, but the reflection hides the distorted reflection of the crack underneath.

Thank you for the information. It's just interesting how one sharp surface with force being put behind it won't hurt the screen but slipping past a 'similar' type of surface does.

Anyone else have this issue?

JamesX

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Later 2 of the insurance packages Verizon offers you can file a claim for any reason. I don't think a non-functional phone is a requirement to file that claim. You just have to pay a deductible.

Though I am no lawyer :) that was my impression when the sales person sold it to me.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Be careful using the insurance, it's not unlimited.

After the first claim I think your allowed one more that's it, so use it wisely.

Ron W.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
As hook said glass does not scratch easily so exactly how did you scratch it....My ipod touch has been through the ringer and has weaker material then gorilla glass and doesn't have scratches.

JamesX

Reaction score
Surprised no one mentioned this yet
Applesauce Polish Restores the Original Finish to Your iPod

Never heard of it till someone posted this on a thread about fixing scratches. It will probably work for your phone as well. Especially if you are going to put a screen protector over it.

I bought a Zigg screen protector. But I didn't like the sensation of it. Most people call it the Orange effect, it has this thick rough yet smooth texture similar to orange peel. I am currently waiting on my Seidio Protector to arrive. Might want to give AppleSauce a try if you don't want a screen protector that feels thick.

Last edited:

big erick

Reaction score
even if you lose your phone the insurance covers it. If you've had it less than 30 days just take it back. But how did you scratch your screen anyways? There almost unscratchable...

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the real question is, how the frakkin' hell did you put a scratch in that dren???
my droid got a scratch in it with in 4 days of owning it. I had the Verizon case/holder I babied it. didn't drop it, didn't pocket it. I was soooooo careful with it, yet I have NO IDEA how it got scratched. I didn't loan it to anyone it never left my sight.

so you tell me how great gorilla glass is when you can treat a phone so perfect and yet it still gets scratched. but some one can hack away at the screen with keys and it isn't harmed.

-=Jason=-

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. It's just interesting how one sharp surface with force being put behind it won't hurt the screen but slipping past a 'similar' type of surface does.
Keys aren't that hard, people. Please read the existing threads. This has been discussed many times before, namely in threads where people claim that screen protectors aren't necessary and that Gorilla Glass is scratch proof (it isn't -- it's scratch resistant which is not the same thing).

Pretty sure the Later 2 of the insurance packages Verizon offers you can file a claim for any reason.
Some in this thread seem to be using warranty and insurance interchangeably. They're 2 different things. When I was switching plans today the options were:

- Extended warranty
- Asurion insurnace
- Extended warranty + Asurion insurance

Warranties cover defects. Scratching your screen isn't a warranty issue.