sbf recovery: .zip files vs .sbf files?

dgerej

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a recovery file as a starting point before flashing my dx. I have downloaded RSD lite and two different sbf files. I'm looking for a way to save my current phone version somewhere in my laptop hard drive before I start flashing my phone. Please point me in the right direction. I'm unsure about what sbf files I should use as a back up for my phone.

I have read that corrupt sbf files may lead to a bricked phone. I have came across MD5sum while reading a thread and have no idea how it works. What is the best way to have a solid foundation before I attempt to root my phone? Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you really cant backup ur phone (anything thats useful) before you root. it either works or it doesnt. after that you can make nandroid backups (using bootstrap) or use titanium backup (excellent app) to back up app & data
HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki

you dont need sbf files unless you f up ur phone. and currently theres full ones for each bootloader so u cant really mess it up (using the wrong sbf can be fixed by using the right one). corruption usually comes by using the wrong sbf.

i wouldnt worry about md5sum errors. usually only happens when u restore a backup and its named incorrectly.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
here we go. im gonna keep it on the thread so other people can see.

PM from OP:
I have never rooted a phone before. I'm so paranoid that I will brick my phone. So you are saying I need to root my phone before creating sbf files? So should I just go ahead and root my dx with z4 or something similar? How will I be able to pick the right method to root my phone? BTW, my phone is currently android verzion is 2.2 and my system version is 2.3.151. I want to make sure I root right the first time. Should I update then root or root before updating? thanks

rooting wont brick it. just being careless with root once you have it (themes, roms, deleteing stuff) will.

sbf files are stock images of phones from vzw. only use these when you cant turn ur phone on.

z4root works fine for DXs. but id root AFTER the OTA update from vzw.