Saving apps to SD Card...Possible?

PeteyPete

Reaction score
As a Blackberry convert who is waiting for his Droid in the mail, is it possible to save apps to the SD card or are we limited to the 256mb of onboard memory allocated for apps?

Thanks!

lennywc

Reaction score
saving apps to sd

My daughter had to trade in her Droid for another and the salesman took her contacts out of the internal memory and put them on the SD card. If you can put the contacts onto the SD card why not the apps?

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This will change. If google wants android to compete with iphone as a device it will. Games and other memory taking programs will need to be installed on external memory. I know google wants to integrate everything into a cloud but it doesnt always work that way.

Aldenn

Reaction score
Using "tech speak/jargon"

Not everyone is a network engineer or knows their technical terms.
I think Erron was refering to Google's "Cloud" as having most data (like Gmail) and apps transferred to Google's server online (the Cloud is the one-line storage connection, something not on the local device). If you use a term like "Cloud" please define it for those who do not use these terms everyday.
Thanks, an english major and writer of technical articles.
ah

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My daughter had to trade in her Droid for another and the salesman took her contacts out of the internal memory and put them on the SD card. If you can put the contacts onto the SD card why not the apps?

Because the software governing the contacts has the capacity to back them up. They're not accessed from the SD card, just backed up and restored from that location.

You can use ASTRO to back up your apps to your SD card too if you want, but you'll have to reinstall them to internal memory to use them.

tmac7607

Reaction score
Ultimate droid has the feature of apps to sd built in to rom which is nice. So far I think its the only rom that has that feature.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Ultimate droid has the feature of apps to sd built in to rom which is nice. So far I think its the only rom that has that feature.

I Read this is a feature of Cynogen rom too

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

It is, and Ultimate Droid is Cyanogenmod, with some changes.

And google is planning on Apps2SD in the future. I can't really get documentation on where I saw this, but I am sure I did.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score

And google is planning on Apps2SD in the future. I can't really get documentation on where I saw this, but I am sure I did.

Thanks for pointing that out. I (semi) aware of that from reading up on why the Ultimate Droid forums got locked and the follow up saying it is permanent, but I did not really put the two together like that I guess.
In fact, I have not read any information about it because I thought it looked bad enough without my input :)
I just assume there is no support for Ultimate Droid on this forum anymore (correct me, it was an assumption), so I am mentioned Cynogen.
So I just chose to switch from Simply Stunning to Bugless Beast 1.0 and try it out for a while, since no one seems to be angry at Pete...... yet.

Unless BB1.0 can do the same (have not done any research on it yet), I am considering Cynogen for Apps2SD. I have never tried it before and that's another reason for switching.

I guess I'll go do my research now ....

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

I think someone mentioned it is part of the 2.2 release on the Nexus One. Of course that would mean we will get it (like the extra screens and 3D app drawer).

tmac7607

Reaction score
yeah! keep BB v1.0 for the speed or slow down a bit and get Ultimate Droid for the apps2sd. They both nice in their own way. Just depends which one you want it for.

FLE

Reaction score
W8 if the we do npt have a choice where to save the apps then what in the wide wide world of sports is the 16gb card for????????? I compressed a few movies with dvd fab and it took only a 1 gb and that is whith alot of tunes. SO why do we get a 16gb card and what in the world is it for?????

tmac7607

Reaction score
good question! Why don't we see more roms that have that feature built in. The ancient G1 had apps to sd on about every rom. Why in the world has it not been developed for newer android phones. That should be the first thing to develop. Everyone wants to have alot of apps. The designs of the roms are fine. We need somewhere to put all the great apps. Not try an app then delete it and install a new one. I like to have a app for every situation, but no room unless I use Ultimate Droid. Where are the rest of the developers at especially Pete with BB v1.0. We root the phones with no apps to sd. WOW!

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
good question! Why don't we see more roms that have that feature built in. The ancient G1 had apps to sd on about every rom. Why in the world has it not been developed for newer android phones. That should be the first thing to develop. Everyone wants to have alot of apps. The designs of the roms are fine. We need somewhere to put all the great apps. Not try an app then delete it and install a new one. I like to have a app for every situation, but no room unless I use Ultimate Droid. Where are the rest of the developers at especially Pete with BB v1.0. We root the phones with no apps to sd. WOW!

Quoted for truth. I've had to delete some real fun apps for more useful ones but I tell myself it was for the better.... I Think I have an app downloading problem. lol dancedroid