Sarcastic Battery Drain cause discovered

Section_10

Reaction score
Over 31% of my battery is drained by display use by constantly Forcing Closed Verizon pre-loaded apps like Verizon Location Agent and the continous persistence of Weather and News app that aren't able to be uninstalled or frozen. Interestingly, if I don't constantly force close these that will also drain the battery from allowing them to run.

Any non-sarcastic solutions?

I should be able to let my phone sit there unused on standby and not let it drain from some internal info-gathering app. I want the phone to work for me when I tell it to, not for apps or Verizon.

bullswife98

Reaction score
You could use the native task killer that comes on your phone, you can set it to auto kill these bothersome apps. I use it and haven't had any issues with loss of juice. Worth a try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I just made a post about the Verizon location agent app in the razr maxx section. When I set the Task manager to kill this app it dramatically shortened the life of my battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

bullswife98

Reaction score
I just made a post about the Verizon location agent app in the razr maxx section. When I set the Task manager to kill this app it dramatically shortened the life of my battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

The only other way is to root and freeze them otherwise I have no solutions for this. Sorry I couldn't have been more help to you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
Section_10

Section_10

Reaction score
It's sad when Verizon sells phones that require advanced knowledge and work involved. My iPhone is too strict because it doesn't allow you to do anything to it, my Androids are so glitchy that it requires you to do many things to it.

Apple= doesn't allow customization
Android= if you're not constantly customizing you're losing.

Lose/lose, win/win

Natey2

Reaction score
I discovered that leaving GPS and location services ON is more battery friendly on my DroidX. I suspect I have many apps that constantly retry if these services are turned off, and consume more power as a result.

The Motorola News And Weather app (aka Genie) can be configured to poll less frequently, or not at all (manual mode). I can tell you for a fact that this is a very useful app (for me) and is nowhere near the top of the biggest battery hogs on my DroidX.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

OP
Section_10

Section_10

Reaction score
I haven't found a single culprit, but I have found several. ;)
Verizon Location Agent, Social Location.
News, and My Gallery are also spontaneous running apps that have all been set to auto kill after two minutes. This a glitch? If not theres no way to get a decent standby life out of the phone.

I don't mind the phones drain when i'm using it, I mind when I approach the phone and see that it has been drained and i'm not even using it. I'm a very jealous phone user.

This phone is about to go for a nice Fedex ride...

Zandar

Reaction score
I'd refrain from using a task killer (other than the built in one; seems to do an OK job) and from turning off the GPS antenna; that seems to do more harm than good. Leaving these apps "running" (being in the list of things using up memory doesn't mean they're "running" in the traditional sense; this isn't Windows) is probably the best thing for you. Also, if you're running on 4G all the time you really ought to switch to 3G mode unless/until you need the speed (downloads and streaming video are the only things that really benefit from 4G).

Barring that, you could always root and rename/remove. If you do this, I recommend renaming so it's easy to return to stock (change it from .apk to .bak or .old, or something).